Is faith a gift that only God can give us? (Note: I have an answer, but I would like input).

Is faith a gift that only God can give to us?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's right, I'm not giving in to your demands. Who do you think you are to boss people around and talk down to them?

I have no authority outside of God and His Word. The Bible (God's Word) is my authority.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works (See: 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Remember, the Bereans were more noble because they searched the Scripture whether those things were so or not. In other words, the Bereans confirmed the audible words of God with the written Word of God. So we have to test and see what is true by the use of God's Word. For John 17:17 says that God's words are truth. The Bible contains the words of God that are true (or truth).

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no authority outside of God and His Word. The Bible (God's Word) is my authority.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works (See: 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Remember, the Bereans were more noble because they searched the Scripture whether those things were so or not. In other words, the Bereans confirmed the audible words of God with the written Word of God. So we have to test and see what is true by the use of God's Word. For John 17:17 says that God's words are truth. The Bible contains the words of God that are true (or truth).

Having a Bible doesn't give you license to talk down to people and boss them around. I've been testing and exploring your beliefs. Apparently that makes you uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Having a Bible doesn't give you license to talk down to people and boss them around.

I only judge (sometimes) if I have been judged. But I don't set out to judge another individual personally. That's not my thing. Although I am not perfect, I seek to make it about the wrong belief and not the person. I strive to keep the discussion about the Bible and I strive to not make it about somebody else like what you are doing now.

You said:
I've been testing and exploring your beliefs. Apparently that makes you uncomfortable.

I do not recall you asking more about what I believe in regards to Sanctification being a part of God's plan of salvation after we are saved by God's grace.

So again, I will ask you to address the verses I put forth to you. Please refrain from trying to make it about me.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I only judge if I have been judged. But I don't set out to judge another individual personally. That's not my thing. Although I am not perfect, I seek to make it about the wrong belief and not the person. I strive to keep the discussion about the Bible and I strive to not make it about somebody else like what you are doing now.

I do not recall you asking more about what I believe in regards to Sanctification being a part of God's plan of salvation after we are saved by God's grace.

So again, I will ask you to address the verses I put forth to you. Please refrain from trying to make it about me.

I've been asking you questions to test and explore what you believe and teach. You've reacted badly to that. For some reason you obfuscate by handing out assignments and making crass remarks etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been asking you questions to test and explore what you believe and teach. You've reacted badly to that.

Show post numbers and exact words of where you feel I reacted badly to your questions (that appears to incriminate me). However, is this your sole argument why your belief is correct over my own?

Besides, your opinion of my responses really has nothing to do with you not explaining the verses I put forth to you. If continue to do so, then I will assume you do not have any explanation, and you are avoiding these verses because you are unable to align them with your belief. If this is the case: Then I will move on from talking with you seeing you keep wanting to make it about me instead of actually discussing the various beliefs involving the Bible.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Show post numbers and exact words of where you feel I reacted badly to your questions (that appears to incriminate me). However, is this your sole argument why your belief is correct over my own?

Besides, your opinion of my responses really has nothing to do with you not explaining the verses I put forth to you. If continue to do so, then I will assume you do not have any explanation, and you are avoiding these verses because you are unable to align them with your belief. If this is the case: Then I will move on from talking with you seeing you keep wanting to make it about me instead of actually discussing the various beliefs involving the Bible.

It's just been you and I talking the last couple of pages. I started exploring and testing what you were saying and you reacted badly to that. Starting Today at 10:07 AM #397 But before that you started obfuscating by handing out an assignment and insisting I complete it. Can't you just give straightforward answers to straightforward questions, without trying to make people jump through hoops? I hate getting into these situations, but it seems inevitable. Probably best that we don't talk to each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's just been you and I talking the last couple of pages. I started exploring and testing what you were saying and you reacted badly to that.

I asked you for post numbers and specific words that you feel where I reacted badly in light of my belief. You have yet to come up with anything. I am willing to apologize if my words were not in line with the keeping of the faith. But you have to remember that Paul even used words with the Galatians in calling them foolish and bewitched. I cannot imagine my words not even being close to that. Yet, Paul was able to say these things to the Galatians. Again, my focus is not you, but it is the belief that I feel is wrong. I don't know anything about you except for your professed belief, and the way you talk on an online forum. I want to keep the discussion on point with what the Scriptures say that is in line with the topic (or somewhat closely related to the topic), but you keep evading in discussing the verses I put forth to you (Which means soon this conversation will be ended - unless of course you change).

In any event, may God's good ways be upon you even if we disagree.

Side Note:

I just seen that you updated your post #406 with a post number (Which was not there previously).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said:
So Christianity is the same as all other religions and cults, in regard to being performance works driven to earn the end goal?

You want me to answer your question (in the way that you prefer or worded it), but you have to realize that even Jesus did not always answer questions put forth to Him (See: Matthew 27:13-14). We have to ask ourselves the question as to why Jesus did not answer.

Anyways, with your particular question: I did answer in the best way I could, but I did not answer in the exact way that you worded the question because the question was a loaded question that was false. It would be like asking, “Do you like the green cats that breath fire, or the purple cats that fly?” But asking such a question is loaded and not true because it is not based in reality. So I tried to answer in the best way I could based on what I know is the truth of the Bible and not in what you have been taught. For you believe that your question is true. But I believe you are asking a question based on a faulty misunderstanding of what the Bible really teaches.

It's just been you and I talking the last couple of pages. I started exploring and testing what you were saying and you reacted badly to that. Starting Today at 10:07 AM #397 But before that you started obfuscating by handing out an assignment and insisting I complete it. Can't you just give straightforward answers to straightforward questions, without trying to make people jump through hoops? I hate getting into these situations, but it seems inevitable. Probably best that we don't talk to each other.

In my opinion, a debate or discussion involving the Bible should include Scripture and an explanation of those verses instead of evasion of discussing them. If one simply tries to make it about the individual and or other things besides the topic or the related topic involving Scripture, then I see that as a weakness of that person's belief in that it cannot be sufficiently supported by what the Bible says. I insist that you explain the Scriptures I put forth to you because that is what a person should naturally be doing in a Bible debate or discussion anyways. In other words, your complaint is sort of like how you feel it is not right for a police officer to give you a ticket for speeding. It is simply a natural thing we should do in driving is be aware of our speed limit. But your complaining about the ticket will only make it worse with the police officer. Granted, I am not a police officer, and you are not receiving a ticket, but the point here is that you do not seem to grasp what should naturally happen on a Bible based discussion. But if a person was not aware of the speed limit, it does not mean they do not have to pay the ticket given to them by the police officer. So if you are not willing to engage in how a normal Bible discussion should go, then it is time for us to move on (because you are not abiding by the rules of a normal Bible discussion).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, it's not just Works Alone, but it is also by God's grace, too. Many (not all) other cults and or religions do not have God's grace as the foundation and or entrance gate. Just because Protestants made fancy little books and or made nice speeches that say that all the other religions and cults are wrong for how salvation does involve works, does not mean they are correct.

So what other religions and cults are right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what other religions and cults are right?

Again, you are asking a loaded question that is false. Nowhere did I say that other religions besides Christians who follow the Bible, or that cults are correct. Most other religions and or cults do not believe in being saved by God's grace + the work of faith. Other religions and cults are false because they disobey God's Word in some way. Many other religions and cults ignore the deity of Jesus Christ, among many other problems.

In your worldview: You have been taught that any belief that includes good works as a part of God's plan of salvation is another religion or a cult because that is what they believe. Take for example the Catholic church. Catholics believe in the Trinity, but that does not mean that they are correct in their view on other things. But you agree with the Catholic church that the Trinity is correct, right? So just because a group may sort of get a particular truth correct, does not mean they are correct on other things. That's the point I was making. I am not saying other religions or cults are correct by any means. That is your assertion because that is all the ammunition that you have against what I believe the Bible says. Again, you need to explain the verses I put forth to you. If you don't this will be our last conversation.

Anyways, may God bless you even if we disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, you are asking a loaded question that is false. Nowhere did I say that other religions besides Christians who follow the Bible, or that cults are correct. Most other religions and or cults do not believe in being saved by God's grace + the work of faith. Other religions and cults are false because they disobey God's Word in some way. Many other religions and cults ignore the deity of Jesus Christ, among many other problems.

It's more likely I didn't understand what you said, if my question didn't fit your statement.

In your worldview: You have been taught that any belief that includes good works as a part of God's plan of salvation is another religion or a cult because that is what they believe. Take for example the Catholic church. Catholics believe in the Trinity, but that does not mean that they are correct in their view on other things. But you agree with the Catholic church that the Trinity is correct, right? So just because a group may sort of get a particular truth correct, does not mean they are correct on other things. That's the point I was making. I am not saying other religions or cults are correct by any means. That is your assertion because that is all the ammunition that you have against what I believe the Bible says. Again, you need to explain the verses I put forth to you. If you don't this will be our last conversation.

Anyways, may God bless you even if we disagree.

I meant what other religions and cults are correct about salvation does involve works.

Again, you need to explain the verses I put forth to you. If you don't this will be our last conversation.

Why?

In your worldview:

I haven't committed to a particular worldview regarding this. That's why I'm asking questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0