• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is faith a gift that only God can give us? (Note: I am not asking because I don't know).

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Bible Highlighter, Apr 21, 2021.

Is faith a gift that only God can give to us?

1. Yes (Only God can give us the gift of faith).

46.4%
  2. No (God already makes man with the capacity to excercise faith without any help from God).

17.9%
  3. Other (Please explain)

35.7%
  1. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+7,040
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Is faith a gift that only God can give us?
    (Note: I am not asking because I don't know).

Please post Scripture to back up your viewpoint,
    and also vote in the poll.

Thank you, and may God bless you all today in the name of Jesus Christ.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. honey badger

honey badger i am

+378
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    its a gift already given

For by grace you are saved through faith, and this not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

3. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+1,189
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Both.

Its not a simple thing (like e.g. an apple that is given or taken as a whole), but rather a complex psychological state of our being. Some part of it must be given by God, some part of it must be our own endeavor.

4. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,471
    Christian
    Married
    Faith, if it is a gift, is something we must accept to possess. I would not overthink it. I believe we can choose faith or unbelief.

5. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,352
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "Irresistible Grace" is an Reformed idea I think (and one I think is probably partly mistaken or incomplete), and so if we want to discuss that in the best way, it makes sense to hear the Reformed view laid out well.

R.C. Sproul was/is a leading Reformed theologian/teacher (and also I know from seeing about 20-25 of his video lectures from and a bit of reading of short articles also).

Ligonier is the R.C. Sproul site.

Is Grace Cooperative?
    “The grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people.”
    - Titus 2:11

Every discussion of divine grace must address the issue of how free the human will actually is after the fall of Adam. As we have seen, thinkers who have emphasized the enslavement of the human will to sin—including men such as Augustine, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards—have never denied that human beings are free to make choices.
    ...(continues)
    Is Grace Cooperative?

When you read more on this or go deeper into more involved discussion, you'll find in time that there are varied interpretations of what exactly is 'election' and what is 'predestined'. For instance: Corporate election - Wikipedia (we are chosen in Christ together, as the group of all that are His sheep/church)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  6. bling

bling Regular Member Supporter

+1,291
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Anything "good" we have is a gift from God, the question is thus how do we take this "faith" we all have and direct it toward God to make it our saving faith?

7. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,460
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    In the beginning God tested the faith of Abraham. He feared God. God would not test Abraham if He bestowed the gift of faith upon Him already. Abraham chose to be faithful.
    " Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+6,103
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Haw Haw Jason. You're a funny dude.

Faith is a gift from God. We are spiritually dead before God intervenes and enables us to see Him rightly and trust in Him. To suggest that fallen man has the capacity for saving faith without the special help of God is Pelagian. A heresy. I think you're into Pelagius though, from what I can remember.

9. Bible Highlighter

+7,040
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Faith is not a gift from God.
    Faith is something man must choose to exercise of his own free will.

#1. We are commanded to believe in Jesus (1 John 3:23).
    #2. All men everywhere are commanded to repent (Acts of the Apostles 17:30).
    #2. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
    #3. You shall seek me, and find me, when you shall search for me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13)
    #4. And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (2 Thessalonians 2:10).
    #5. When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. (Matthew 8:10).
    #6. Without faith, it is impossible to please God and we are told that if we come to Him, we must believe that He exists, and He is a rewarder to those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6).
    #7. Jesus said to His disciples, “Have faith in God.” (Mark 11:22).
    #8. When Peter failed to continue to walk on the water because he was scared of the intensity of the storm, Jesus eventually told him, “You of little faith,” “why did you doubt?” (See: Matthew 14:29-31).

10. a-lily-in-the-valley

a-lily-in-the-valley Active Member

+262
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    (Ephesians 2:8-9, NKJV)

11. Butterball1

Butterball1 Well-Known Member

+102
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    If one could have faith only if God gifted faith to him then God becomes culpable for all those who are faithless and lost.
    Matthew 8:26 "And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm." Jesus' criticism should have been directed towards God for failing to give these disciples sufficient faith they lacked. Jesus could not justly condemn them for what was 100% out of their control and 100% in God's control. Acts of the Apostles 16:31 why command men to believe if believing is out of man's control? Paul should have command God to give the jailer faith. Yet the command implies man has both ability and accountability in choosing to obey by having or not having faith.

12. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+20,927
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. sawdust

sawdust Well-Known Member

+263
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Faith is the result of the Word united and at work within a willing soul. This is why faith is assurance and confidence (Heb.11:1) because it is based on the Word of God not the will of man. However, without a willing soul, there also can be no faith.

14. BBAS 64

BBAS 64 Contributor Supporter

+1,175
    Christian
    Married
    Good Day,

Php 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,

Your belief has been granted to you for the sake of Christ... not for your own sake. It is all about Him, and not about us in any way.

In Him,

Bill

15. Bible Highlighter

+7,040
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Again, Jesus would not be amazed at the greatness of the Centurion's faith if it was something given to him by God. Jesus criticizes others for having little faith or for doubting. So this rules out any possibility that faith is forced upon a person by God.

16. BBAS 64

BBAS 64 Contributor Supporter

+1,175
    Christian
    Married

Good Day, BHL

I agree we freely exercise faith... Your question seemed to imply "where does Faith come from".

Can a man exercise a Faith that he does not have?

In Him,

Bill

17. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,116
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The only miracle that exists is the gift of Faith in God to carry us.

18. Bible Highlighter

+7,040
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
    2 Thessalonians 2:10 says that the reason those who perish are perishing is because they received not the love of the truth that they MIGHT BE SAVED. There is no MIGHT BE SAVED in Calvinism.

19. Bible Highlighter

+7,040
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    God does not force faith upon a person. The faith is the Bible. We gain faith by hearing the Bible. Our choice. For faith comes by hearing the Word of God (The Bible or the words of Jesus and His apostles).

20. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,116
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes. God calls whom He wills and this started before the Bible was written. Faith is a Gift given by God alone and not of mans doing.