Is evolution something we can cast aside

freeze

House Atreides
Sep 24, 2003
vancouver
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
I always assumed we evolved throughout the years but a friend of mine at church ( which I just started attending for the first time) said that the evidence of neanderthal and cro magnon man . Please excuse the spelling are very loose on their factual material. They may have three small parts of bone and try to complete a skeleton based on speculation. Also what if the person was deformed or had rickets or something like that??

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
freeze said:
I always assumed we evolved throughout the years
Good to hear

but a friend of mine at church ( which I just started attending for the first time)
No YEC can ever be friends with an evolutionist <---(JOKE! JOKE! JOKE!)

said that the evidence of neanderthal and cro magnon man . Please excuse the spelling are very loose on their factual material. They may have three small parts of bone and try to complete a skeleton based on speculation. Also what if the person was deformed or had rickets or something like that??
The claim is false. There about 200 known neandertal skeletons and mtDNA evidence shows that humans haven't inherited any Neandertal DNA.

If I remember correctly, Cro-Magnon is just archaic Homo sapiens.

A good study: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/96/13/7117

Upvote 0

Zadok001

Gli alberi hanno orecchie, occhi e denti.
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟594.00
"Good to hear?!?!?"

Assumptions BAD, troodon! Bad! :) We shouldn't ASSUME evolution is true, rather, we should treat it with extreme skepticism. Should compelling evidence be presented for the accuracy of the theory, only THEN should we accept it.

It just so happens that such evidence exists, of course. :)

Upvote 0
We will probably never find any single piece of evidence outside the bible that will once and for all change the whole world's mind about evolution/creation. It truly is a matter of faith. You can either put your faith in either one. Each side of the arguement will always have a comeback. However, I have yet to find any evidence that would lead me to believe in some sort of evolutionary process as being the begining of everything.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Zadok001 said:
"Good to hear?!?!?"

Assumptions BAD, troodon! Bad! :) We shouldn't ASSUME evolution is true, rather, we should treat it with extreme skepticism. Should compelling evidence be presented for the accuracy of the theory, only THEN should we accept it.

It just so happens that such evidence exists, of course. :)
After all the YECs that have been through here I embrace any tendancies towards evolution; but a critical examination is recommmended

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
"It truly is a matter of faith."

Not really. One side has evidence for it and no evidence against it. The other side has evidence against it and no evidence for it. For Evolution to be a "matter of faith" you would have to also consider "germ theory" a matter of faith as well.

"Each side of the arguement will always have a comeback."

The question of course, is, is the comeback truthfull?

Here is a post I made about 7 false pieces of evidence that creationists still use,
http://www.christianforums.com/t60635

"However, I have yet to find any evidence that would lead me to believe in some sort of evolutionary process as being the begining of everything."

How much have you looked? How much have you read? How much of it has been scientific literature?

thedoc said:
We will probably never find any single piece of evidence outside the bible that will once and for all change the whole world's mind about evolution/creation. It truly is a matter of faith. You can either put your faith in either one. Each side of the arguement will always have a comeback. However, I have yet to find any evidence that would lead me to believe in some sort of evolutionary process as being the begining of everything.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

thedoc said:
I have yet to find any evidence that would lead me to believe in some sort of evolutionary process as being the begining of everything.
that is because there isn't any. remember evolution is just about the variety of life. this is why Darwin called his book "The Origins of Species" as opposed to "The Origins of life the universe and everything"

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
thedoc said:
Yup, it's just a matter of faith. I keep my little evolution fish on my car, and follow the ten commandments of evolution that tell me how to live my life, and...

Give it a rest. Evolution is a theory proven beyond reasonable doubt. Creationism is the theory that the bible is the flawless, 100% accurate, non-alligorical, word of God. I happen to think that the bible was more concerned about morality and how you should live your life then it was about scientific theories, but hey, that's just me.

Just remember the theory of gravity is much more poorly understood then the theory of evolution. If you discard evolution you might as well just say that it's an ongoing miracle that everything stays attracted to the ground, and there's absolutely no consistancy to the way in which objects are attracted to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ObbiQuiet

Eating Heart
Jul 12, 2003
The Desert
Visit site
✟4,934.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ThePhoenix said:
Just remember the theory of gravity is much more poorly understood then the theory of evolution. If you discard evolution you might as well just say that it's an ongoing miracle that everything stays attracted to the ground, and there's absolutely no consistancy to the way in which objects are attracted to it.

As (I think) Philisoft had once told me, he had met a creationist who, when confronted with the question, "Why does gravity happen?", he responded with, "Jesus makes it happen."

Upvote 0
Evolution is a theory. I am amazed that it should carry the weight that is given it by the scientific community when it has never been proven. In fact, there is so much data missing that if any other area of science had the same level of ambiguity, it would be laughable.

Still, enough people believe in evolution that it must be addressed by the truth. I agree that it is little more than conjecture to recreate a hypothesis from a handful of bones.
Evolution is a flawed science bordering on mythology. But it is all the atheist really has. We know the truth.

Upvote 0

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Gravity is a theory. I am amazed that it should carry the weight that is given it by the scientific community when it has never been proven. In fact, there is so much data missing that if any other area of science had the same level of ambiguity, it would be laughable.

Still, enough people believe in gravity that it must be addressed by the truth. I agree that it is little more than conjecture to recreate a hypothesis from a handful of bones.
Gravity is a flawed science bordering on mythology. But it is all the atheist really has. We know the truth.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
Man of Sorrows said:
Evolution is a theory. I am amazed that it should carry the weight that is given it by the scientific community when it has never been proven. In fact, there is so much data missing that if any other area of science had the same level of ambiguity, it would be laughable.

Still, enough people believe in evolution that it must be addressed by the truth. I agree that it is little more than conjecture to recreate a hypothesis from a handful of bones.
Evolution is a flawed science bordering on mythology. But it is all the atheist really has. We know the truth.
Do we have to play the game of "Scientific Theory" again? PRATT.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ObbiQuiet said:
As (I think) Philisoft had once told me, he had met a creationist who, when confronted with the question, "Why does gravity happen?", he responded with, "Jesus makes it happen."
Acutally, this past weekend i went to a general fellowship christian church on an invite by a friend because it was about creationism. The pastor there made similiar claims, such as the planets keep on their orbital tracks because god wills them to, that every star lights up every night because god wills them to, that the oceans dont dry up because god wills them not to. God keeps the oceans filled up by springs on the bottom of the oceans which continually pump water into it.

After each statement, he would say, "And they say it came about by random chance!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Unfortunatly your "truth" is floating in an ocean of lies.

Evolution is not just a theory, its a scientific theory, there is a major difference. Learn it. :) Germ theory, is "Just a scientific theory" Germ theory is the theory that germs like bacteria exist, and get you sick (from my understanding).

Maybe you can show us what data is missing. (unless of course, this is one of those many post and runs)

We dont have a "handful of bones" we have tons and tons of them, spaning many different times.

Man of Sorrows said:

Upvote 0

ObbiQuiet

Eating Heart
Jul 12, 2003
The Desert
Visit site
✟4,934.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ZaraDurden said:
Acutally, this past weekend i went to a general fellowship christian church on an invite by a friend because it was about creationism. The pastor there made similiar claims, such as the planets keep on their orbital tracks because god wills them to, that every star lights up every night because god wills them to, that the oceans dont dry up because god wills them not to. God keeps the oceans filled up by springs on the bottom of the oceans which continually pump water into it.

After each statement, he would say, "And they say it came about by random chance!"

I can't stop laughing. I miss most of that since my parents are Catholic, and since Catholics accept evolution (at least the pope does - most Catholics would follow suit if he does) I don't hear any of the creationist humor at church.

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
ZaraDurden said:

It's creationists like that who give creationists who at least bother to try and be scientific (even if their science isn't quite correct) a bad name.

Upvote 0
"I agree that it is little more than conjecture to recreate a hypothesis from a handful of bones.
Evolution is a flawed science bordering on mythology. But it is all the atheist really has. We know the truth."

You have got to be kidding me. This sounds like the ignorance i would only expect from a small child. Clearly, there is no amount of evidence that could convince you that evolution is indeed a reality, and for that reason, your argument is worthless. Evolution is by no means a flawed science, and any logical homo sapien is able to acknowledge this.
Furthermore, why do you feel the theory of evolution is an "atheistic" belief? It's absurd to connect scientific facts with theology, just because it differs from yours.
Tell me about your "truth".

Upvote 0