Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For example, is it sinful to spend hours watching movies when you could study the Bible etc.? I sometimes regret things like that and confess them as sins, because my mind is not centered on God during them.

I think that the Bible doesn't have much to say about entertainment, but here's some verses: Philippians 4:8, Colossians 3:17

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It kind of makes me curious what kind of movies you are watching to become so guilt-ridden afterward.

I don't think your question can be answered honestly unless it's taken out of the realm of entertainment only and into an understanding of any personal pursuit which is not inherently God-centered. For example, assume someone is spending a lot of time chasing after an educational goal, such as graduating from college, or learning a new foreign or computer language, or perhaps even hobbies or obtaining a new skill, such as small engine repair.

These things aren't God-centered, but we don't spend our time worrying about if they are sinful or not because there is no indication that personal interests in themselves are inherently sinful, unless they become an addiction, or take the place of God in our lives.

• Agree
Reactions: Aino
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For example, is it sinful to spend hours watching movies when you could study the Bible etc.? I sometimes regret things like that and confess them as sins, because my mind is not centered on God during them.

I think that the Bible doesn't have much to say about entertainment, but here's some verses: Philippians 4:8, Colossians 3:17

If something prevents you from seeking God but isn't bad itself then it's simply a weight.

The bible says lay aside every weight and every sin that so easily besets you.

sin=against christ

weight= something that is an inhibitor of sorts. Maybe it's not bad but could be putting ahead of God, for some people this is video games or a show or girl or something.

Here's the thing though I watch stuff for hours also but I still read at least one chapter a day, I still listen to at least one sermon a day, I still pray once-twice a day, I still keep up with fasting.

IK they tell you man you could be doing this for God instead of that, what they mean is some people limit their time to god as a squeeze in for a few minutes, waht they are saying is if you have to limit your time in prayer or something then you have to make room for God.

But if you are able to spend hours watching TV and stuff and still have time then that's not really a weight or in the way.

• Agree
Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To read and study the Bible can be very entertaining.

Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Entertainment is something I engage in not only because it's entertaining but also in search of sermon illustrations. It's important to keep in touch with what's going on in culture because for better or worse it tends to be part of people's lives. I try to choose my entertainment carefully.

• Agree
Reactions: Aino
Upvote 0

jal11180

Dec 30, 2016
Minneapolis, MN, USA
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a message that is to the people that say that entertainment is wrong. Let me ask you all some questions.

1. Who created the concept of acting?
2. Who created the concept of singing?
3. Who created the concept of music?
4. Who created the concept of video games?
5. Who created the concept of classic type games?
6. Who created all of the ideas for the various forms of media?
7. Who created the people that made such things exist in the first place?

The answer should be obvious and that answer is YAHWEH EL ELOHIM. Furthermore, even YAHASHUA HA'MASHIACH Himself preached parables to people simply because He knew that the general layperson would not comprehend something as heady and weighty as what the horribly out of touch legalism promoters, such as the Pharisees, were promoting in the Jewish synagogues, thus their presence was not only killing Judaism, but it was also preventing people from going to YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word, kind of like the Roman Catholic Church and many other false and counterfeit forms of so-called "Christianity" and "Judaism" are doing today in the modern world. A more modern day example of someone that, albeit imperfectly, followed such a concept would be C.S. Lewis of The Chronicles of Narnia fame. He has been one of the best examples of bridging Christianity and Judaism with the world in modern times and his non-fiction books, such as Mere Christianity, should be required reading to those people that wish to truly comprehend Christianity and Judaism. Were that not convincing enough, then the entirety of the concept of The Great Commission should be more than enough of a reason to NOT be angry at people that promote entertainment. Furthermore, for all of the people that consider entertainment as a form of idolatry, witchcraft, and sorcery, you are surprisingly correct, but only to an extent. Yes, worship of those things in the place of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word is indeed evil, but to have them in your life is NOT, I repeat, NOT evil and, in fact, they can help people out with dealing with stress in positive ways, plus it also helps with problem solving and a myriad of other tasks, all of which will benefit a person in the end. A good example is someone that has issues with driving vehicles. Someone can learn from a really good racing video game on how to improve their ability to drive in real life or even pursue a career in making and refurbishing vehicles. Would you consider THOSE things to be wrong, sinful, and immoral? The Holy Scriptures say, "The soul that does not work does not eat." What people like yourselves fail to comprehend is that is not only making people have no dreams, no goals, no ambitions, and ready and willing slaves to a Fascist, welfare promoting, and laziness inducing police state, but that it is also limiting YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and what HE can do, as well as how He speaks to people, and to promote those things in such a manner is not only ironically committing various acts of idolatry, witchcraft, and sorcery, but that you are also making yourselves to become entertainers of sorts because when you make such wicked and evil statements, you are causing people to pay attention to yourselves and, just like the people that worship entertainment and entertainers, you are causing others to pay attention to yourselves instead of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word. You are guilty of trying to control YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word and you want to put them into a box rather than follow Him and His Word in your lives and for that, you should be ashamed, sorrowful, and truly repentant in your lives. The reality is that the modern forms of entertainment are simultaneously new ways to preach the Gospel, ways to fulfill the Great Commission, ways to testify of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM, His Word, and the greatness of both things, ways to get people to think about their eternal fate, and they are also the modern day versions of parables.

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a message that is to the people that say that entertainment is wrong. Let me ask you all some questions.

1. Who created the concept of acting?
2. Who created the concept of singing?
3. Who created the concept of music?
4. Who created the concept of video games?
5. Who created the concept of classic type games?
6. Who created all of the ideas for the various forms of media?
7. Who created the people that made such things exist in the first place?

The answer should be obvious and that answer is YAHWEH EL ELOHIM. Furthermore, even YAHASHUA HA'MASHIACH Himself preached parables to people simply because He knew that the general layperson would not comprehend something as heady and weighty as what the horribly out of touch legalism promoters, such as the Pharisees, were promoting in the Jewish synagogues, thus their presence was not only killing Judaism, but it was also preventing people from going to YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word, kind of like the Roman Catholic Church and many other false and counterfeit forms of so-called "Christianity" and "Judaism" are doing today in the modern world. A more modern day example of someone that, albeit imperfectly, followed such a concept would be C.S. Lewis of The Chronicles of Narnia fame. He has been one of the best examples of bridging Christianity and Judaism with the world in modern times and his non-fiction books, such as Mere Christianity, should be required reading to those people that wish to truly comprehend Christianity and Judaism. Were that not convincing enough, then the entirety of the concept of The Great Commission should be more than enough of a reason to NOT be angry at people that promote entertainment. Furthermore, for all of the people that consider entertainment as a form of idolatry, witchcraft, and sorcery, you are surprisingly correct, but only to an extent. Yes, worship of those things in the place of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word is indeed evil, but to have them in your life is NOT, I repeat, NOT evil and, in fact, they can help people out with dealing with stress in positive ways, plus it also helps with problem solving and a myriad of other tasks, all of which will benefit a person in the end. A good example is someone that has issues with driving vehicles. Someone can learn from a really good racing video game on how to improve their ability to drive in real life or even pursue a career in making and refurbishing vehicles. Would you consider THOSE things to be wrong, sinful, and immoral? The Holy Scriptures say, "The soul that does not work does not eat." What people like yourselves fail to comprehend is that is not only making people have no dreams, no goals, no ambitions, and ready and willing slaves to a Fascist, welfare promoting, and laziness inducing police state, but that it is also limiting YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and what HE can do, as well as how He speaks to people, and to promote those things in such a manner is not only ironically committing various acts of idolatry, witchcraft, and sorcery, but that you are also making yourselves to become entertainers of sorts because when you make such wicked and evil statements, you are causing people to pay attention to yourselves and, just like the people that worship entertainment and entertainers, you are causing others to pay attention to yourselves instead of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word. You are guilty of trying to control YAHWEH EL ELOHIM and His Word and you want to put them into a box rather than follow Him and His Word in your lives and for that, you should be ashamed, sorrowful, and truly repentant in your lives. The reality is that the modern forms of entertainment are simultaneously new ways to preach the Gospel, ways to fulfill the Great Commission, ways to testify of YAHWEH EL ELOHIM, His Word, and the greatness of both things, ways to get people to think about their eternal fate, and they are also the modern day versions of parables.
Your forgetting that the word for acting is hypocrite

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That line of thinking becomes a slippery slope toward legalism, moralism, and despair: for example instead of eating you could be praying, should you never eat? How about sleeping? How about spending time with your children? How about working?

On the converse, God seems to have intentionally built in to the religious practices of Israel an understanding that there was a time for rest--that was what the Sabbath was for, the Sabbath wasn't given to Israel as a designated day of worship, but as a day to rest from one's labor; and when the Pharisees criticize Jesus for not obeying some of their extra-legal additions to Sabbath observance Jesus rebukes them saying, "Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath". Also in the Torah, there were times of feasting and enjoyment, for example we read,

"Set apart a tithe of all the yield of your seed that is brought in yearly from the field. In the presence of the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose as a dwelling for his name, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, your wine, and your oil, as well as the firstlings of your herd and flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. But if, when the Lord your God has blessed you, the distance is so great that you are unable to transport it, because the place where the Lord your God will choose to set his name is too far away from you, then you may turn it into money. With the money secure in hand, go to the place that the Lord your God will choose; spend the money for whatever you wish—oxen, sheep, wine, strong drink, or whatever you desire. And you shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God, you and your household rejoicing together. As for the Levites resident in your towns, do not neglect them, because they have no allotment or inheritance with you." - Deuteronomy 14:22-27

This allotment was to be used for celebrating, for enjoyment.

While as Christians we do not observe the commandments of the Torah; but the basic lesson remains the same: God cares about us, and time off from work, spending time with friends and family, leisure activity is important.

So the short answer is no, there is nothing sinful about entertainment. The only issue of sin, in this regard, really would be if--for example--instead of spending time with your children (if you have children) you ignore them, things of that nature. But there is no sin in enjoying life, insofar as your enjoyment does not cause you to stumble or result in hurting your neighbor through selfish choices, words, or actions.

There is no commandment that you must read the Bible 24/7 and avoid anything approximating fun. God never commanded this, and if one were to suggest God has commanded such a thing they would be either deeply misinformed or lying; in truth being able to spend extended periods of time reading (whether it be Scripture or any other book) is a luxury of leisure itself. People in previous ages were often not so fortunate to be literate, or let alone wealthy enough to own a book (and a whole copy of Scripture would require a fortune to own, which is why almost nobody own a Bible, not even clergy, you might if you were a king or person of great wealth; but even then not really--instead a Bible would have been owned by the Church and thus a possession of the whole community); and having the time to be able to afford such would have been a luxury when, if you were a regular peasant, having spend most of your time working the field and trying to stay alive through the winter. But leisure activity is not bad, on the contrary it is good insofar as it keeps us emotionally and mentally healthy.

The question shouldn't be "Am I allowed entertainment or leisure activities?" But instead concerning ourselves with how we treat our neighbor--don't ignore the needs of others, because that would be sin. But otherwise, do not despair over such things. God is not a tyrant. Abide by your conscience, love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself; and in all things trust Christ, not your works, for He alone is your hope and salvation, and when you do sin, confess your sin, repent, and daily cling to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

No, entertainment isn't sinful, a majority of Christians barely seem to read the Bible anyway.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (1 Timothy 6:17, 1984 NIV)

What counts as entertainment for one person may not be so for another. Just like everything else, IMO we should not be passing judgment on someone else's entertainment. Only God knows what is in their heart. Entertainment is a form of "pain" relief for some, and source of refreshment for others. It stimulates one person's intellect and for others creates having something in common with others to socialize around. A particular TV show may be a source of corruption for one person and an avenue of healing for another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jal11180

Dec 30, 2016
Minneapolis, MN, USA
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your forgetting that the word for acting is hypocrite
Cassie, did you totally just jump to that conclusion without even reading a single word of that post? Also, are you calling myself or yourself as one? You need to reread that post and repent of your OWN hypocrisy first before you reply to this post because what you just said made YAHWEH EL ELOHIM out to be a liar and a hypocrite and that is the spirit of Antichrist right there.

Upvote 0

jal11180

Dec 30, 2016
Minneapolis, MN, USA
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (1 Timothy 6:17, 1984 NIV)

What counts as entertainment for one person may not be so for another. Just like everything else, IMO we should not be passing judgment on someone else's entertainment. Only God knows what is in their heart. Entertainment is a form of "pain" relief for some, and source of refreshment for others. It stimulates one person's intellect and for others creates having something in common with others to socialize around. A particular TV show may be a source of corruption for one person and an avenue of healing for another.

The people that do not pass judgment are the ones that also allow potentially evil things to continue in this world. I am so tired of people saying that we should not pass judgment on everything, never mind that YAHWEH EL ELOHIM literally MADE our bodies, as well as the very fabric of the cosmos itself, to run on judgments. Now with that being said, although your part of the Holy Scriptures is correct, the problem happens when one person finds one form of entertainment sinful and the other person finds nothing wrong with that kind of entertainment. Not only could one of the people be potentially stressing themselves out of life needlessly, but that they could be also bringing about much harm to their fellow Christian. Would you want THAT to be happening all the time?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cassie, did you totally just jump to that conclusion without even reading a single word of that post? Also, are you calling myself or yourself as one? You need to reread that post and repent of your OWN hypocrisy first before you reply to this post because what you just said made YAHWEH EL ELOHIM out to be a liar and a hypocrite and that is the spirit of Antichrist right there.
Just stating a fact. Equating parables to acting is not at all the same thing as the title of this thread suggests

5273. hupokrités
Strong's Concordance
hupokrités: one who answers, an actor, a hypocrite
Original Word: ὑποκριτής, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hupokrités
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-ok-ree-tace')
Short Definition: a hypocrite, dissembler
Definition: (lit: a stage-player), a hypocrite, dissembler, pretender.
HELPS Word-studies
5273 hypokritḗs (a masculine noun derived from 5259 /hypó, "under" and 2919 /krínō, "judge") – properly, a judging under, like a performer acting under a mask (i.e. a theater-actor); (figuratively) a two-faced person; a "hypocrite," whose profession does not match their practice – i.e. someone who "says one thing but does another."

[5273 (hypokritḗs) was commonly used of actors on the Greek stage. When applied in the NT, it refers to a hypocrite.

"Christianity requires that believers should be open and above-board. They should be themselves. Their lives should be like an open book, easily read" (K. Wuest, Word Studies, Vol 2, Pastoral Epistles, 1 Peter, 50,51).]

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The people that do not pass judgment are the ones that also allow potentially evil things to continue in this world. I am so tired of people saying that we should not pass judgment on everything, never mind that YAHWEH EL ELOHIM literally MADE our bodies, as well as the very fabric of the cosmos itself, to run on judgments. Now with that being said, although your part of the Holy Scriptures is correct, the problem happens when one person finds one form of entertainment sinful and the other person finds nothing wrong with that kind of entertainment. Not only could one of the people be potentially stressing themselves out of life needlessly, but that they could be also bringing about much harm to their fellow Christian. Would you want THAT to be happening all the time?
Unfortunately, Christians are no different, on average, than non-Christians in how self-righteous they are, even if it is about what the Bible says. But they are more accountable (2 Chronicles 7:14). Non-judgmental people, who see everyone with God's heart of love and with the humility that comes from knowing Him, rejoice in each other and trust that God knows what he is doing.

The point of my post is perhaps easier to see with an example:

If an autistic child is only calmed by a single TV show, would you judge the parents of having poor judgment for letting their child watch it if the TV show didn't meet a standard of what is not sinful? Does the Bible define that standard or is it a person's interpretation of the Bible that does? Would it even apply in this situation? Would you know whether it applied or not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I am certainly guilty of "missing the mark" (one translation for one of the words for sin)....
in this way as well...... yesterday evening and today I am struggling to spend more time focused on what
really matters.....and I avoided getting distracted by TV or netflix.... at least for these last 24 hours.... one day at at time as they say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jal11180

Dec 30, 2016
Minneapolis, MN, USA
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just stating a fact. Equating parables to acting is not at all the same thing as the title of this thread suggests

5273. hupokrités
Strong's Concordance
hupokrités: one who answers, an actor, a hypocrite
Original Word: ὑποκριτής, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hupokrités
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-ok-ree-tace')
Short Definition: a hypocrite, dissembler
Definition: (lit: a stage-player), a hypocrite, dissembler, pretender.
HELPS Word-studies
5273 hypokritḗs (a masculine noun derived from 5259 /hypó, "under" and 2919 /krínō, "judge") – properly, a judging under, like a performer acting under a mask (i.e. a theater-actor); (figuratively) a two-faced person; a "hypocrite," whose profession does not match their practice – i.e. someone who "says one thing but does another."

[5273 (hypokritḗs) was commonly used of actors on the Greek stage. When applied in the NT, it refers to a hypocrite.

"Christianity requires that believers should be open and above-board. They should be themselves. Their lives should be like an open book, easily read" (K. Wuest, Word Studies, Vol 2, Pastoral Epistles, 1 Peter, 50,51).]

Good, you looked up the definition of a word as well as got some quotes online. I could have done those tasks myself. You did not bring anything new to the argument, kind of like this moronic Roman Catholic white supremacist individual named Andreas Abel, and many other hateful Luciferian trolls before him, tried to do to myself with their dialed in belief structures that honestly make telemarketers seem like MENSA members in comparison to themselves. The bigger questions are do you know how to avoid becoming one in your life and, short of that, truly humbling yourself of your own hypocrisy and error in your life and, far more importantly to YAHWEH EL ELOHIM Himself?

Upvote 0

jal11180

Dec 30, 2016
Minneapolis, MN, USA
✟15,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have understood that it is sin, if you reject God. Anything that makes you reject God, becomes sin for you. So, don’t reject God and you have no sin.

Finally, someone gets it in here. Thank you for understanding the content of what I said on here, sir or madam. YAHWEH EL ELOHIM will greatly bless you for your wisdom in the world that is to come later.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
fish14, welcome to the forums!

As you've said, there's limited Scripture, so this is the type thing that falls under "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12

Maybe it's the amount of time, category of programming, its purpose or something else. Encourage you to asks Yahweh to guide you in this area.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we can grow in awareness the longer we are receptive to guidance from the Holy Spirit. I think it's only an issue if someone resists their spiritual growth and willfully wallows in feigned ignorance. Like a great many things in life, I think entertainment is a blank thing that can be used for good, for sin/evil, or for neither. But that as one's awareness is increased over time by the Holy Spirit, one might start to discern a lot more about their entertainment choices.

Just this morning I found myself watching the second half of the Titanic movie, a film I hadn't watched or even thought of since I was a kid, and things started jumping out at me, such as some of the characters using Jesus' name as a curse word, and it just gave me a sharp cringe sort of feeling, it was distracting from the movie and I didn't like it. Then at another point Jack and Rose are pushing their way up a ramp, and a man who knows he is going to die starts reciting Psalm 23, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death-" and Jack interrupts him, shoving the man out of the way and cracking a snide joke about how the man needs to walk faster through that valley because he is in their way. And those things are pretty mild compared to what a lot of entertainment these days includes. Sometimes lately it just stuns me about how many little things are included in the barrage against Christianity, even found in movies like the Titanic, which are otherwise far from the morally filthiest movies out there. I mean, it's the Titanic, which otherwise has themes of choosing genuine love (for each other and the poor) over earthly wealth, and heroic self-sacrifice.

Was it a sin for me to watch scenes from the Titanic this morning? I honestly don't think so. But I did notice things I would not have noticed years ago, and it gave me a long moment of pause, wondering what else I haven't noticed over the years.

Upvote 0