Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you consider "El Shaddai" a sad song? I realize that most Christian songs evoke numerous emotions. However, I find that song so sad that I cry. Maybe I need to listen to this song again.

Why do you find it sad?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi lik,

I find it to be fairly melancholy. It expresses the history of Israel's relationship with God. Quite honestly, that relationship was rarely good, as God seemed to see it. It talks about how His people didn't understand what God was doing. This is the same cry that God made to Israel through His prophet Isaiah. The ox knows its master, the donkey its owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.

So yes, I find the song to have a certain amount of melancholy as it describes Israel's dullness in thinking and understanding of what God was working to accomplish through them. However, as a Gentile, we should feel a certain amount of relief that they didn't possibly. Would salvation have come to the whole world if Jesus hadn't died? If Israel had, as Daniel said they were to do, crowned Jesus as their king, would there have been salvation for the rest of us? But, we must temper that with the knowledge that, even though Israel was defiant against God, it all worked out as it was supposed to according to the prophecies of Jesus' sacrifice for sin.

The Scriptures tell us that it was even a part of God's work to harden Israel's heart, but still, they had no understanding of what they were doing. They were merely actors in a great and wonderful and glorious plan of God to save some from His eternal wrath.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi lik,

I find it to be fairly melancholy. It expresses the history of Israel's relationship with God. Quite honestly, that relationship was rarely good, as God seemed to see it. It talks about how His people didn't understand what God was doing. This is the same cry that God made to Israel through His prophet Isaiah. The ox knows its master, the donkey its owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.

So yes, I find the song to have a certain amount of melancholy as it describes Israel's dullness in thinking and understanding of what God was working to accomplish through them. However, as a Gentile, we should feel a certain amount of relief that they didn't possibly. Would salvation have come to the whole world if Jesus hadn't died? If Israel had, as Daniel said they were to do, crowned Jesus as their king, would there have been salvation for the rest of us? But, we must temper that with the knowledge that, even though Israel was defiant against God, it all worked out as it was supposed to according to the prophecies of Jesus' sacrifice for sin.

The Scriptures tell us that it was even a part of God's work to harden Israel's heart, but still, they had no understanding of what they were doing. They were merely actors in a great and wonderful and glorious plan of God to save some from His eternal wrath.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

You missed the part about the widow/outcast on her knees?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't find it sad at all. It's written in a minor key (as is most Jewish music) which sounds "sad" to western ears, but the message recaps God's faithfulness and love, even to His unfaithful people.

I find it hauntingly beautiful.
Lots of music makes me cry, sad or not.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Sentimentalism is not necessarily the same as sadness.

One of my favorite Lutheran hymns ("If you but trust in God to guide you") is in a minor key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0