Is Eastern Orthodoxy correct according to the scriptures? Or is it the Oriental/Egyptian Orthodox?

TaiKamiya720

Apr 4, 2016
South Florida Metro area
✟19,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am currently a Roman Catholic but I am looking forward to becoming an Orthodoxy? But I have seen so much confusion within the Orthodox Church. Believe it or not I am right now 21, as this would mean I am an unusual person looking for Christ's truth in an age while when my peers and my fellow Catholics my age are leaving Catholicism to become atheists, agnostics, humanists, Muslims, etc.
I left Catholicism because it has become quite modernized and the Catholic church really looks more like an Anglican church. When looking at Orthodoxy, I have seen two divisions within like Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy and to make matters worse, I have seen some Eastern Orthodox debating each other in certain issues like calendars and between the traditionalist Orthodoxies. However, I came to understand that Orthodoxy in general is the Christian Church with the least changes since the time the apostles founded the Church?
How do I know which sect of orthodoxy is the true one? I've been reading the bible and praying for God to guide me to the right one? Which Orthodox church really holds the truth that the REAL Jesus sent?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a whole body of doctrine in the Bible centred in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. So we need to make Bible reading a daily and essential habit, trusting that God Himself will reveal His truth to us. The Epistle to the Hebrews contains much information about how the rites, the types and shadows in the Old Testament are fulfulled perfectly in the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus. John 3.16 contains a very wonderful summary of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do I know which sect of orthodoxy is the true one? I've been reading the bible and praying for God to guide me to the right one? Which Orthodox church really holds the truth that the REAL Jesus sent?

for starters, welcome to TAW!

I would say check out Chalcedon, and see if it lines up with Ephesus. then I say check out Constantinople 2. if you see the same Faith in all three Councils, then EO is where you should go. if it looks like innovation and trying to clear up heresy, then EO is not the way that you should go.

and pray and try to get to a Liturgy, and talk to a priest.

and keep us in the loop.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am currently a Roman Catholic but I am looking forward to becoming an Orthodoxy? But I have seen so much confusion within the Orthodox Church. Believe it or not I am right now 21, as this would mean I am an unusual person looking for Christ's truth in an age while when my peers and my fellow Catholics my age are leaving Catholicism to become atheists, agnostics, humanists, Muslims, etc.
I left Catholicism because it has become quite modernized and the Catholic church really looks more like an Anglican church. When looking at Orthodoxy, I have seen two divisions within like Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy and to make matters worse, I have seen some Eastern Orthodox debating each other in certain issues like calendars and between the traditionalist Orthodoxies. However, I came to understand that Orthodoxy in general is the Christian Church with the least changes since the time the apostles founded the Church?

Welcome to CF, and to TAW! We are very glad that you've joined us!

To address your question .... Every reasonable person goes with their own convictions so if you ask an Eastern Orthodox person that question, you're going to get (bottom line) that the EO Church is correct, and the opposite will likely be true if you ask an OO person.

It might be more helpful to ask what are the differences and how they came about, if you are really trying to discern between the two. There are those that are much more historically well-informed than I who can explain it better. However, in my understanding, it seems the break that occurred at Chalcedon was truly caused more by semantics and almost more a misunderstanding than anything else.

If there is to be any reconciliation within the Church, I would not be surprised if it were a reunification of OO and EO. Despite having been technically separate for more centuries than any other rift, or the "evolution" of later denominations, these two are remarkably similar. I can generally read a book written for the OO Church and not disagree on a single point. (As long as it is not a book focusing on Christology.)

I do see it as a potential lack of the OOs to have abandoned the benefit of all the succeeding ecumenical councils.

But I certainly see Christ in my brothers and sisters in both EO and OO circles. I hope this helps just a tiny bit - maybe to suggest questions for you if nothing else, because I realize I don't have a great deal of historical or theological input to this issue.

And again, a very warm welcome! I pray that you are blessed by being here!

ETA: I see ArmyMatt gave you an answer while I was typing. ;)

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a whole body of doctrine in the Bible centred in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. So we need to make Bible reading a daily and essential habit, trusting that God Himself will reveal His truth to us. The Epistle to the Hebrews contains much information about how the rites, the types and shadows in the Old Testament are fulfulled perfectly in the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus. John 3.16 contains a very wonderful summary of the Gospel.
Hi faroukfarouk - welcome to TAW!

It is true that the Bible is centered on the Person and work of Jesus Christ, and on the way He provided for us to be saved. It also is true that the types and shadows of the Old Testament are perfectly fulfilled in the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It seems like you are implying that this refutes the importance of Holy Tradition and the continuity of the Church and Her teachings (in relationship to the teachings taught by Jesus as his apostles). While the points you made are true, that does not mean that what I mentioned above is false.

Also, while John 3:16 is a critical part of the gospel, it is not the only thing written in scripture about salvation. I'm sure you know this already, but we must pay attention to all the Bible teaches about salvation in order to view it holistically as designed and conveyed by our Lord.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, I came to understand that Orthodoxy in general is the Christian Church with the least changes since the time the apostles founded the Church?

well, we would say the EO has had no dogmatic changes since the Apostles. we are not the closest to the Apostolic Church, we are the Apostolic Church

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi faroukfarouk - welcome to TAW!

It is true that the Bible is centered on the Person and work of Jesus Christ, and on the way He provided for us to be saved. It also is true that the types and shadows of the Old Testament are perfectly fulfilled in the Person and Work at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It seems like you are implying that this refutes the importance of Holy Tradition and the continuity of the Church and Her teachings (in relationship to the teachings taught by Jesus as his apostles). While the points you made are true, that does not mean that what I mentioned above is false.

Also, while John 3:16 is a critical part of the gospel, it is not the only thing written in scripture about salvation. I'm sure you know this already, but we must pay attention to all the Bible teaches about salvation in order to view it holistically as designed and conveyed by our Lord.

I hope you have a wonderful day!
I've not said anything about what different clergy say about the Bible, but I am indeed looking to God's Word for what God says about His Son and His Work on the Cross for sinners; and I would prefer not to get into arguments; thank-you.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've not said anything about what different clergy say about the Bible, but I am indeed looking to God's Word for what God says about His Son and His Work on the Cross for sinners; and I would prefer not to get into arguments; thank-you.

but what you said does not relate to the question, which was asked for an Orthodox answer

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I'm not trying to get into arguments, so I apologize if it sounded that way. I did want to clarify our view though. As the OP asked about Orthodoxy in specific, I wanted to explain the view we hold in the Orthodox Church.

As I said, welcome to TAW, and I agree with much of what you said, with some extra clarifications on my part. Have a wonderful day!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess was commenting on the OP's comment: "I've been reading the bible and praying for God to guide me".

which is fine, but the question was asked to the Orthodox about whether to go with Chalcedon or not.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

Hi my friend!!!

The Eastern Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Christ on 33 A.D.. The Eastern Orthodox Church has the Apostolic Succession.

The Eastern Orthodox Church is also called Christian Orthodox Church, The One Church and Orthodoxy.

But, please be carefull: Eastern Orthodox Church is not same with Coptic Orthodox Church, Eastern Catholic Churches, Church of Armenia, Orthodox Church of Aithiopia, Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Christianity, that they are also called Monophysites or Coptic Christians and they are heretical false sects because they left from the Eastern Orthodox Church on 451 A.D..

This is the true Eastern Orthodox Church:
http://oca.org
http://journeytoorthodoxy.com
http://gkiouzelis.wordpress.com

Also, here is some of my sites about Eastern Orthodox Church:

Ex 2x2 Letters
USA of my heart
America of my heart
Roman Catholics met Orthodoxy
Atheists met Orthodoxy
Japan of my heart

If you live in America, here you find a right Eastern Orthodox parish:

Find a Parish

:):):)

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
My dear friend here are 2 Eastern Orthodox Monasteries in Florida:
http://www.holyannunciation.org
http://www.panagiavlahernon.org

If you want visit it and you ask anything the Fathers there. They will answer you all your questions:

1_0%20MONASTERY%20VIEW_jpg.jpg

welcome3.jpg

I send you 2 video from Fr. Seraphim Bell, USA:

Fr. Seraphim Bell, Scotland & USA: "I became Orthodox for one reason: Obedience to the Truth"

Fr. Seraphim Bell, UK & USA: How I became Orthodox - I wanted to prove it was false

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You live in Florida?

I can't speak for any of the Fathers, but I have visited Holy Annunciation. Mother Agapia is very gracious and welcoming and during the days I was there she would make time from whatever she was doing to spend as much time with visitors as they might need. (Though best to come well before the late afternoon service - Compline.)

The men's monastery has several priests, I believe, so I'm sure would also be a good place to visit.

If you are near the area (not far from Gainesville) it would very much be worth a visit. (And if you do happen to go, I would greatly appreciate if you give my regards to Mr. Agapia and Sr. Akakia!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The schism you are referring to in the eyes of the Oriental is a western induced schism. The Orientals reject Chalcedon meaning they rejected Pope Leo's Tome on the two natures anathemizing him as heretic. Meaning the schism is just as much with roman catholics as is with Eastern Orthodox. Orientals are non-chalcedon they reject Chalcedonian theology which is basically the dogma of the RC, EO, and virtually all the protestant sects.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Glad you're doing a lot of investigation at your age when so many are choosing to turn away from the beauty of Christ - I had a lot of friends who turned away from the Lord and I am glad for the grace of Christ on my life that kept me seeking Him so that I didn't fall away and was able to have people (be it Oriental Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox or, for that matter, Eastern Catholics and many others) who truly encouraged me to remember the beauty that comes from keeping Jesus Christ as our focus.....and seeking to share Him with others.

That said, I can relate to the difficulty in the journey you're on (as I've communed in EO parishes as well as OO parishes due to my ecclesiastical affiliation, authorized by the SOC and the Antiochian EO church). My own background involves both the Syriac Tradition as well as the Antiochian tradition - and I already have friends/family in the Coptic tradition (which I already shared when speaking about being invited to visit His Holiness when he was in town, others knowing where I stand as I've shared before in Prayers, as I'm looking Forward to Meeting the Coptic Pope Tomorrow and Pesach...something to think about). The history of Orthodoxy is rather complicated when seeing how extensively detailed every group is. For reference, as noted best elsewhere, on the differing variations:

ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN PENTARCHY

AUTOCEPHALOUS ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCHES

AUTONOMOUS ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCHES

ORIENTAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN EPARCHIES
Many places with Intercommunion occurring are places in the Church others do not know of due to geography and simply disconnection - and this is the case with regards to Antiochians as one example among many when it comes to intersections/connection.

And there are already dioceses of the OCA allowing intercommunion so long as permission is given by the ruling hierarch. Additionally, there is also inter-communion arrangements between the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate and the Eastern Orthodox EO reference the Syriac Orthodox tradition frequently in identification, even though the tradition is not rooted solely n the EO Tradition. Others such as Dr. Sebastian Brock - the foremost scholar on Syriac Christianity - have done a rather excellent job on pointing that out in regards to the scholarship when it comes to the universality of others from the OO tradition and the work done in the EO community.

From the EO side of things, it is the case historically that the Greek Orthodox church is in full communion with the Oriental Orthodox church:

Since the Holy Synods of both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa have already accepted the outcome of the official dialogue on Christology between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, including the two official agreements: the first on Christology signed in June 1989 in Egypt and the second also on Christology and on the lifting of anathemas and restoration of full communion signed in Geneva 1990, in which it is stated that "In the light of our agreed statement on Christology..., we have now clearly understood that both families have always loyally maintained the same authentic Orthodox Christological faith, and the unbroken continuity of Apostolic tradition". It was agreed to have mutual recognition of the sacrament of Baptism, based on what St Paul wrote, "One Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Eph 4:5) - https://orthodoxjointcommission.wor...d-greek-orthodox-patriarchates-of-alexandria/

Moreover, for practice, we already have it where Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations, congratulated His Holiness Patriarch Mor Ignatius Aphrem II on his election to the throne of Primate of the Syriac Orthodox Church. In his words:

Your Holiness,

I wholeheartedly congratulate you on the election to the throne of Primate of the ancient Syriac Orthodox Church. The Russian Orthodox Church values good relations with the Syriac Church and thinks highly of the heritage of your demised predecessor – Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas. He was always committed to the active inter-Christian dialogue and was a supporter of closer interaction between the Orthodox and the Oriental Churches.

Our Church is praying for the re-establishment of a longed-for peace in the Syrian land, sanctified by the feet of holy prophets and apostles. I sincerely wish you to be a preacher of truth and reconciliation in your homeland and a wise steerer of the church boat.

Many and good years to you!
With love in Christ,
/+Hilarion/
Metropolitan of Volokolamsk
Chairman
Department for External Church Relations
Moscow Patriarchate ( https://mospat.ru/en/2014/04/16/news101026/ )

10006060_656221821093542_3640293418988250512_o.jpg

For more reference, Metropolitan Kallistos Ware (another EO) confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to Oriental Orthodox - and in fact, he spoke at the Coptic “Orthodox Women’s Ministry” conference...an Inter-Orthodox conference event that took place in Heythrop College, University of London, in the United Kingdom from Friday, September 11, 2015, to Sunday, September 13, 2015. It is a new lay movement in the Orthodox Church blessed by His Holiness Patriarch Tawadros II, of the Coptic Orthodox Church - and the "two main objectives were to establish a general understanding of the role of women from a historical, theological and practical perspective in today's world; as well as to cultivate a deeper appreciation for the call to holiness for men and women in the life of the Church."

IMG_9035-1024x407.jpg

And for reference on where dialogue and official statements have occurred:

There have been several books on the matter as well in differing seminaries...

• Patristic Theology by Fr. John Romanides
  • Exomologetarion: A Manual for Confession by St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite
  • Concerning Frequent Communion by St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite
  • The Truth of Our Faith: Vol. 2 by Elder Cleopa of Romania

Besides working with other Orthodox in both worlds on several projects, others have noted that before in the forum, as said before:

I think my church (Antioch) is pretty pronounced in its acceptance of the OO, and so it cannot be said that the OO are universally rejected either.
I hate to be the voice of the campus radical, but I have met many Orientals who were more Orthodox in spirit than some of my Eastern brethren.

The Fathers have long noted this. It has been present whenever discussing EO theologians referencing other scholars/saints from the OO tradition, as was the case when discussing David Bentley Hart . ...or in Antiochians Communing Oriental Orthodox or
Views on the Eastern and Western Catholic Churches?
and
Extra Prayers for Those Suffering in Syria
...or St. Mary Syrian Orthodox Church Destroyed in Syria
..or We are all called to become Saints....
Prayers for Metropolitans Paul Yazigi & Youhanna Ibrahim who were KIDNAPPED.. &
Moving Forward with Catholic/Orthodox Relationship
(and, for that matter, EOs working actively with the Coptic Pope as noted previously).

There really is MORE unity in the Church than many are willing to admit....

11752455_881742688541453_5742733924089848025_n.jpg

What happens in canonical Orthodox has been quite clear when keeping up with the actual discussions, statements and what leadership has done.
There really is MORE unity in the Church than many are willing to admit....

Many are of the mindset that there's a STRONG need to remember that Blood has no boundaries with significance. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of all his saints (Psalm 116) and there's unity in the Faith that is present in more ways than one...

As an aside, although I've shared thoughts before on the issue (as seen in Feb 14, 2016 ), if interested, here are some good discussions that may bless you in your pursuits. They pertain what happens in the world of both EO and OO - and it is an excellent discussion on the subject of evangelism and I was very thankful for it.

• Evangelism - For his last class on Evangelism, Fr. Chad Hatfield, the Chancellor of St. Vladimir’s Seminary, hosted three priests for a panel responding to questions raised by the Seminarians. The three priests were Fr. John Parker from Mt. Pleasant, SC. and Chairman of the Dept of Evangelism of the OCA, Fr. Michael Elias, pastor of St. Mary Antiochian Orthodox Church, Brooklyn, NY, and Fr. Michael Sorial, pastor of St. Anianas Coptic Orthodox Church, Princeton, NJ. All three are SVOTS grads.

• October 8, 2015 Our Common Father: Saint Cyril
    The Very Rev. Dr. John Anthony McGuckin, renowned author of 25 books, several of which are published by SVS Press, presented the keynote address at this year's Education Day at St. Vladimir's Seminary. Fr. John outlined a brief history of St. Cyril, highlighting the point that the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox traditions agree with much of the saint's theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"I've not said anything about what different clergy say about the Bible, but I am indeed looking to God's Word for what God says about His Son and His Work on the Cross for sinners; and I would prefer not to get into arguments; thank-you."

But we do have to talk about what people say about the Bible. The Bible is a collection of books composed and compiled for and by the Church. It is written words on paper that do need to be interpreted. The community by which and for whom it was written (the Orthodox Church) is where one finds the correct interpretation.

We must dispel the protestant reformer's idea that one can interpret the Scriptures for themselves. They can certainly (and should) read it for themselves, but not interpret it for themselves.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith