Is Eastern Orthodoxy a Part of the True Church?

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well then obviously your not following what they are doing over the past 10 Orthodox-Catholic ecumenical and conciliar plenary sessions. I think the majority of the Eo will be shocked by a healing of the schism. That speaks volumes imho.
That, or they will end up having their own Reformation:eek:
This is why such prayer is needed over this:crossrc:

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Well then obviously your not following what they are doing over the past 10 Orthodox-Catholic ecumenical and conciliar plenary sessions. I think the majority of the Eo will be shocked by a healing of the schism. That speaks volumes imho.
I guess we can have a bet. If in 20 years we are reunited I will give you $20. If in 200 years we are no where closer to where we are today, then you give me $200. Or...errr.....your grandchildren can give it to my grandchildren.

Honestly though, I haven't seen or heard any evidence that we are closer to a Schism. Maybe we are closer to labeling our problems. And hopefully we are closer to working together towards common goals, such as social justice issues.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which begs to question.......what type of ball game?We all know it depends on WHAT type of ball game.;) ^_^ :p

It will be one where ascent to the dogma of the Church and authority of the Pope will be reiterated to include the whole apostolic world opening wider ecumenism and correct interpretations of doctrine withing Gods authority right on down the line to being one church again in fulfillment of Jesus prayer that we may all be one as He and our Father are.

Peace.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess we can have a bet. If in 20 years we are reunited I will give you $20. If in 200 years we are no where closer to where we are today, then you give me $200. Or...errr.....your grandchildren can give it to my grandchildren.

Honestly though, I haven't seen or heard any evidence that we are closer to a Schism. Maybe we are closer to labeling our problems. And hopefully we are closer to working together towards common goals, such as social justice issues.

No thanks. I don't gamble. Its against my religion. ^_^

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Bishop Ware, while a holy man, is not actually God.

That said, TLF, I invite you to come to TAW where you can gain a fuller understanding on the Orthodox position on birth control and why we hold the positions we do. While you seem to feel that any evolution is proof that we are not the true church, we would bed to differ. =)

So where do we go for the "real" teaching of EO then? Where is the authoritative source if not your Bishop?

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It will be one where ascent to the dogma of the Church and authority of the Pope will be reiterated to include the whole apostolic world opening wider ecumenism and correct interpretations of doctrine withing Gods authority right on down the line to being one church again in fulfillment of Jesus prayer that we may all be one as He and our Father are.

Peace.
ahem..........that flew right over yoru head dude^_^ ....I meant Baseball, Football, basketball....okay, I'll include soccer too:holy:

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We have made great progress in defining the differences. The Ravenna Document will be, I think, more important in the long run that currently thought. It really starts to validly frame some issues between us.

I had a thread in the Apostolic Forum about it.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think we have a GIRM....

Look up the hymn of the Church and the Liturgy. Honestly that's the best source for Orthodox theology. During the Soviet times, the Communist took away our icons, our bibles, our churches, but Orthodoxy survived because we still had the Liturgy and most truly that is the heart of Orthodoxy. If you get a book on the hymn of the Church and read that you will pretty much get a good understanding of what we believe. Of course, better than reading them is to experience it in person! =)

Do you really think we have to look it up to know the Liturgy? Surly your not meaning to pit one apostolic rite against another are you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If whoever is the head-hancho mod tells me I can explain where Orthodoxy has been misrepresented, I will happily comply, but otherwise I think I must just issue an invitation to TAW because things that I would have never thought were debating apparently are and this is a much more touchy area than those, so I want to be conservative here and not get myself into more trouble than I already do! :blush:

Um that would be Scott. See he is an admin.

By the way, very glad you are here. We know how touchy this area is. Wouldn't it be great to be able to talk about it in a civil tone and tenor germain to normal society and even better yet within the mutual love of each other that all the apostles enjoyed until that first schism?

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
[qoute=ScottBot]
So, who does? If I want to make sure that I have the correct take on Orthodoxy, where do I go?[/quote]

There is nowhere to go.

You might be interested in this:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7101.asp

The Stand of the Orthodox Church on Controversial Issues

The possible exception to the above affirmation of continuity of teaching is the view of the Orthodox Church on the issue of contraception. Because of the lack of a full understanding of the implications of the biology of reproduction, earlier writers tended to identify abortion with contraception. However, of late a new view has taken hold among Orthodox writers and thinkers on this topic, which permits the use of certain contraceptive practices within marriage for the purpose of spacing children, enhancing the expression of marital love, and protecting health.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That post was a bit of a joke my friend but it does show that not all EO are against unity.

To begin to learn about orthodox Orthodoxy I would refer you here:
http://www.ec-patr.org/athp/index.php?lang=en

and to find their leaders to finding out more about them:
http://www.gcatholic.com/hierarchy/patriarchs.htm

Keep in mind, though the EP is a great EO Patriarch, "officially", his views differ still from all 21 Catholic EO Churches that are in union with Rome. Those differences (while many are not differences either) are what are being worked out between Rome and the EO in Ravenna and have been for over a decade now.

For a worste case scenario Not shared with the majority of the EO I would offer you this example of polemics from a Bishop who an Asthetic EO Hiermonk I know thinks he believes himself to be the only true Bishop on Earth. http://www.trueorthodoxy.org/heretics_roman_catholics_brief_replies_papal_innovations.shtml

Peace Tad.

EPandPope.jpg

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Um that would be Scott. See he is an admin.

By the way, very glad you are here. We know how touchy this area is. Wouldn't it be great to be able to talk about it in a civil tone and tenor germain to normal society and even better yet within the mutual love of each other that all the apostles enjoyed until that first schism?

Peace.
Ok Scott, do I have your go?

And what was I supposed to answer? haha, after 12 pages I think we've touched everywhere lol.

Upvote 0