Is divorce ever okay in situations like this?

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am living with my husband blames me for the problems in our marriage.

He calls me stupid dumb lazy idiot pig etc...that I never amounted to anything. That even people who know me think I am dumb. That my family are losers. On so on. He says often people didn't want him to marry me but he did.

He often will say he prays for me.

I told him nothing will change unless he prays for God to change him, not me.

He calls me lesbian gay cause he says I am cold. It's hard to warm up when the day before he was calling me names or is rough to me.

Monday he was upset that the food was not ready. He said I was taking too long and that the kitchen was a mess. I usually clean as I go and also afterwards. Some things I had put into the dishwasher already, washed the pan but there were things on the counter. I was making his favorite soup as a surprise in addition to the regular meal. He expects it to be clean. I used to be very disorganized and messy but I am better now.

He starts calling me gay.....etc....idiot and other things to put me down.

So I got upset and threw the knife in the sink. He grabbed me by the collar of my sweater lifted it and we went backwards 5 feet. And he put his fist near my face. He thought he had torn my sweater but it was just the sound of the zipper going down as he twisted the neck.

I had a bruise on my hand trying I guess to remove his hand. My gold necklace broke and I had marks from the necklace on my neck on both sides. The marks left in about a half hour but I did take photos. The bruise on my hand is still sensitive.

He said if I could have scratched the sink or the knife could have bounced and hit him.

He wasn't in front of the sink but 2 feet to the left, same side I threw it from. But as we continued to argue he said he was in front.

He said if I touch the house again or damage it, he'll do it again. The house which he paid for and worked so hard is like children he has to protect. He said when I throw the knife or hit the counter in anger or slam a door example I become an enemy and he has to protect the house and will do it again.

I threatened to call the police but if I did I know it would be over. I wouldn't feel safe living here if I had and he would not want to work on it.

I know some people will say it's my fault cause I threw the knife in the sink.

It's the 2nd time he's taken my sweater and did that but I hit the surface of the bureau right before so I am probably at fault.

God hates divorce and what would people say about Jesus if they heard these things ? ?? They would scoff at our beliefs.

No one knows. Everyone thinks he's wonderful. And he can be so wonderful and caring. He's very successful and people think he's successful and intelligent. I would be so concerned about things being twisted to make me look bad if it came out.

Please if you respond to this, please be careful what you say to not make me feel even more stupid than I feel now and have been told I an.

It's not easy to leave when you are living in it. The hope of change is always there because it's not always 100% bad.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For one thing, you are NOT stupid. He's the problem. Given how everyone thinks he's wonderful on the outside he definitely sounds like a sociopath to me. I knew a sociopath, and they can seem nice when they're not around you all the time, but when you are with them they show how horrible they are. And they can be okay sometimes and give you hope that things will be better, but that's not the case. To think so is to let the sociopath have more power over you and to give yourself false hope. Don't stand for that anymore.

No one should stay in an abusive situation, and yours is verbally and physically abusive. Divorce should absolutely be considered "okay".

If it's not in the eyes of the church, then the church has no compassion. Divorce should absolutely 100% be an option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He calls me stupid dumb lazy idiot pig etc...that I never amounted to anything. That even people who know me think I am dumb. That my family are losers. On so on. He says often people didn't want him to marry me but he did.

He calls me lesbian gay cause he says I am cold. It's hard to warm up when the day before he was calling me names or is rough to me.

Monday he was upset that the food was not ready. He said I was taking too long and that the kitchen was a mess. I usually clean as I go and also afterwards. Some things I had put into the dishwasher already, washed the pan but there were things on the counter. I was making his favorite soup as a surprise in addition to the regular meal. He expects it to be clean. I used to be very disorganized and messy but I am better now.

So I got upset and threw the knife in the sink. He grabbed me by the collar of my sweater lifted it and we went backwards 5 feet. And he put his fist near my face. He thought he had torn my sweater but it was just the sound of the zipper going down as he twisted the neck.

I had a bruise on my hand trying I guess to remove his hand. My gold necklace broke and I had marks from the necklace on my neck on both sides. The marks left in about a half hour but I did take photos. The bruise on my hand is still sensitive.

He said if I could have scratched the sink or the knife could have bounced and hit him.

He wasn't in front of the sink but 2 feet to the left, same side I threw it from. But as we continued to argue he said he was in front.

He said if I touch the house again or damage it, he'll do it again. The house which he paid for and worked so hard is like children he has to protect. He said when I throw the knife or hit the counter in anger or slam a door example I become an enemy and he has to protect the house and will do it again.

I threatened to call the police but if I did I know it would be over. I wouldn't feel safe living here if I had and he would not want to work on it.

It's the 2nd time he's taken my sweater and did that but I hit the surface of the bureau right before so I am probably at fault.

God hates divorce and what would people say about Jesus if they heard these things ? ?? They would scoff at our beliefs.

No one knows. Everyone thinks he's wonderful. And he can be so wonderful and caring. He's very successful and people think he's successful and intelligent. I would be so concerned about things being twisted to make me look bad if it came out.

Please if you respond to this, please be careful what you say to not make me feel even more stupid than I feel now and have been told I an.

It's not easy to leave when you are living in it. The hope of change is always there because it's not always 100% bad.
I'm assuming that you don't have children. Get out before you do. If you think it is hard now it would be much worse then for both you and your children.
The longer you wait the more dangerous it becomes for you if you eventually do.
In my view the most dangerous abusers are those who think that God is on their side. They are not any different than a terrorist who believes the same thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ima let someone else help you here i've never been married (young) so someone else can help.

I can give these tips and that's it

1. Bible says if you're saved and you marry someone you're bound to them. (evaluate your salvation process and compare it with the bible to see if it was right. )

Other advice someone who's married can give you, all I gave was some biblical insight an an important one. Examine yourself and ask if you're truly saved, read acts, read JOhn etc. if not you're free to leave him, if so bound.

When I hear stories like yours it motivates me only to marry those who are saved I realize the cost isn't worth it.

God bless and I hope someone who is married can give you more insight!!!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

:heart: He's abusive, dear heart. Many times, the only way to "survive" in such toxicity is for the target or victim to cling to "it's not so bad" because of the excruciating pain of seeing clearly what's going on.

You are attempting to cope the best you can.

Check out the link Daisy posted above in post #4, and just keep communicating, as you sort this out.

In the meantime, depending on where you are, there is a hotline that you can call, and stay anonymous if you wish to.

Give them a call.

Get support.

Trust your gut.

It's not your fault, precious (((hug)))

Here's the link to the website and the hotline number:

1-888-799-7223

The National Domestic Violence Hotline | Contact Us

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd say divorce isn't needed but I realize my view is not common in todays world.

Divorce is needed if the person is abusive. Saying divorce in all cases is a sin or something does nothing but cause damage and misery.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like your husband has problems of one sort or another. What if his behaviour escalates into real, more dangerous violence? I don't know what help and advice you can get in whatever country you live in - but if I were you, I would try and find some advice from somewhere. And I would say, divorce would definitely be an option. Perhaps depends on whether your husband can be helped or not. If things get too bad, perhaps there are women's refuges? You don't mention any children, but it doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to have any with that sort of thing going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ima let someone else help you here i've never been married (young) so someone else can help.

1. Bible says if you're saved and you marry someone you're bound to them. (evaluate your salvation process and compare it with the bible to see if it was right. )

Other advice someone who's married can give you, all I gave was some biblical insight an an important one. Examine yourself and ask if you're truly saved, read acts, read JOhn etc. if not you're free to leave him, if so bound.

When I hear stories like yours it motivates me only to marry those who are saved I realize the cost isn't worth it.

God bless and I hope someone who is married can give you more insight!!!
I did marry someone who is supposed to be saved and people would say is saved.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Saying that only does harm. It's why I've come to resent those who say that you're bound to someone even if they're abusive just because the Bible says so. Is it any wonder that more people are coming to dislike religion?

Itsahappyday, do NOT let JESUS=G.O.A.T influence you into staying with that man by manipulating you into thinking "the Bible says I have to". That's evil and damaging and a reason people are resenting religion.

Divorce him if you can get make sure you get away from him. Get someone to help you.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Divorce is needed if the person is abusive. Saying divorce in all cases is a sin or something does nothing but cause damage and misery.

Luke 16:18 - Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:10 - And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:

Genesis 2:24 - Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

If you're a christian you don't leave your spouse. IK a deacon Deacon bradley who's wife chose to marry him even though he was messed up (so again we have a choice to marry someone saved... it's not unfair) he was out on the streets and even would shoot people.

He eneded up in jail...to make a long story short a preacher led by God reached him. In the same day all chargers were dropped and he was free...he got out and got saved.

Now he's a deacon for a church, his wife didn't leave him but stuck with him.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Saying that only does harm. It's why I've come to resent those who say that you're bound to someone even if they're abusive just because the Bible says so. Is it any wonder that more people are coming to dislike religion?

Itsahappyday, do NOT let JESUS=G.O.A.T influence you into staying with that man by manipulating you into thinking "the Bible says I have to". That's evil and damaging and a reason people are resenting religion.

Divorce him if you can get make sure you get away from him. Get someone to help you.

My Response: Well it does and the reason people are resisting religion is more complicated then that, it's because of false teachers, they don't want to leave sin, the amount of different denominations etc.

It's why I've come to resent those who say that you're bound to someone even if they're abusive just because the Bible says so. Is it any wonder that more people are coming to dislike religion?

My Response: So you're suggestion is to not follow the bible? Look we have a choice to marry who we desire... and if a true christian chooses someone who's eh messed up then the christian must deal with the situation and must accept the results of their choice. My pastor's wife was saved before she was and he was out there spending some time with another women and smoking 2 packs a day.

SHe didn't give up on him and eventually he went to church and got filled with teh holy ghost and is now a pastor a man of God and was a leader in a convention we were a part of.

I mean that's like me saying cause my child is bad and crazy I should leave him. You must cleave to your family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly from my experience in the church, I've had a Christian best friend betray me a few times, a pastor who was against me, at least 2 sister in our church who were for years rude to me in spite of me being kind. My experience with people who say they are Christians have not always been good.

How can he not be hearing from the Lord about his treatment of me?

Sunday he said to me in error.... the devil is using you to crush your wife, ..(.not husband.) I believe perhaps the Lord is trying.

Yes some are wonderful and kind. Some are great.

My husband knew a guy who could quote the bible more than anyone and this guy was seriously immoral in his private life that no one knew.

Not all who can quote the bible are saved. Not all who pray with the anointing will treat others right. Not all who go to church are saved.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I just go by the bible which many misquote. The solution for this situation would to be move out and tell him to get help. Then if things get better move back in. If they don't then stay moved out because eventually he will probably divorce and you won't be responsible since he decided to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well it does and the reason people are resisting religion is more complicated then that, it's because of false teachers, they don't want to leave sin, the amount of different denominations etc.

None of those are reasons for my life long atheism. Keep trying, though.

To answer the OP: YES. Unequivocally and absolutely. If you are being abused, ditch and divorce that sucker. And if you have an ideology that makes it hard for you to do that, ditch that too.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
None of those are reasons for my life long atheism. Keep trying, though.

To answer the OP: YES. Unequivocally and absolutely. If you are being abused, ditch and divorce that sucker. And if you have an ideology that makes it hard for you to do that, ditch that too.

I guess you don't know what "etc." means.

Upvote 0