• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Is Diablo 2 okay to play for christians

Discussion in 'Gamers Zone' started by jesusfreak407, Nov 21, 2003.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess New Member

+0
    Non-Denom
    Of course not!

True

Very good scripture indeed;

But we're not talking about food here or stumbling blocks for our brethren. We're talking about a game that glorifies all that the Word Condemns.

I'm not judging anyone who plays Diablo2, I'm simply stating it's content is contrary to the Word and therefore potentially harmful.

Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, line it up with the Word and you can't go wrong :clap:

idle

2. Dracil

Dracil Nekomimi

+231
    Catholic
    Single
    Then why'd you roll your eyes at me? :scratch:

Au contraire, it is a stumbling block to some. You even said so yourself when you say it's "potentially harmful". To some of us, it will hurt our faith. To the rest of us, it isn't a stumbling block at all. And the talk of food is not really that different. As Romans 14 shows, some people think that some food is evil (just as some people think that Diablo 2 is evil). But some people think that not all food is evil (just as some people think that Diablo 2 is not evil). But only the former is condemned if they play the game or eat the food, because it is going against their faith.

But it doesn't glorify all that the Word condemns. To prove your statement by the way, will require listing every single thing in the Bible that is condemened, and showing that not only does it exist in the game, it is also glorified.

And we're saying it's not as bad as you think. It's like the food. So yes, I agree that it can be "potentially harmful," just as eating meat can be "potentially harmful" to some Christians. But that is up to each individual Christian to decide for his or herself, as it's specific to each individual's faith. :) The game itself is as unclean as the food is to the Christians in the passage (and you might notice the passage says the food is not unclean, except to those who think it is).

3. idleprocess

idleprocess New Member

+0
    Non-Denom
    The potential for this to spiral out of control into a full blown doctrinal/religious/socialogical, 'feast of ideas' :D is great.

I understand your position and I'd only like to add one thing, which takes us back to the original posters question.

If Mom is saying she's a little leary of your playing D2 and is worried for you, just give it up.

idle

4. Dracil

Dracil Nekomimi

+231
    Catholic
    Single
    Well, there's something to be said for honoring one's mother and father, but... that raises another question.

What was she doing getting the original poster the game in the first place? :p The game IS rated as Mature (17+) after all...

5. Invader Pichu

Invader Pichu Bless me :D

+9
    Christian
    I think the game is ok for any mature individual. It's just entertainment, after all.

6. idleprocess

idleprocess New Member

+0
    Non-Denom
    Now that's a good question, nonetheless, just a verse down from the honor your mother and father Paul writes:

Lord knows, especially for teens with raging hormones, that this isn't an easy thing to do, but we have to try. :D

And on that note, I must confess here that I was in no way a model son. My earthly days should be severly limited for what I've put my poor parents through. :cry:

idle

7. Felron

Felron Active Member

+15
    Christian
    Single
    I personally think this game is fine, but if your moter doesn't like it mabey you should try another game? i would suggest everquest or neverwinter nights.

many people i know dont like the game and i can uderstand why, necromacers call summon deamons to fight for them, lots of questionable content, but you could just play as a palidin if you are that worried about it.

but probobly the best thing to do would be to pray about it, and ask the lord what to do.

8. Ignissus

Ignissus New Member

+3
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have read some of these posts, but this one here specifically could not go unanswered. First of all, NO ONE has any right to wield those specific words of judgement except the LORD Jesus Christ, Himself. Jesus Christ is very serious when He says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." direct reference:

Matthew 7:1-5 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye"

So that is the baseline. Here is the background of that verse you shared on Judgment. I am not going to do all the work for you in this research, but it is important to understand what the given scripture verse is referring to. If you want clues on how to find the information I am about to tell you about, look up Dr. Michael S, Heiser, a very well-known scholar of the nuances of the obscure parts of the Bible.

I will make this short: On the John 8:43 passage, Jesus Christ was addressing the impure hybrids of the day. These were not fully human people. They were the people who were the offspring of the Genesis 6 "giants" who were born of the "sons of God" when they mated with the daughters of men. These people were the ones whom David went on a massive crusade to wipe from the land. Remember Goliath?? He was not fully human. He was one of these hybrids. It is EXTREMELY important to know the context and historical background of a biblical text BEFORE slinging it at people as a weapon. Did you know that the Word is sharper than a two edged sword? If you are cutting up your brother, you are cutting up yourself too.

Next. Jesus is Judge. End of story. We are not to condemn, but to edify and encourage our brothers. Sometimes, admonition is called for, like I am doing now. I am not being prideful, but I am very upset at the irresponsible "use" of the Holy Scriptures.

I try to ask myself if I belong on the judgment seat of Christ or if Jesus does, before I start judging people, much less call them a "child of the devil." Obviously, Jesus belongs in the judgement seat now and forever. He is forever praised. Amen.

In that passage that was given, Jesus said to this same group of people who were trying to stone him, "You are gods." Why would He say that. Humans are not gods, are we? But the hybrid people found in Genesis 6, "the Men of ancient lore" were. This is where the ancients get much of their mythologies. They were evil, because the sons of god were the fallen angels who left the Council of Heaven when Lucifer fell and became satan. These are the fallen angels found in the Book of Jude. I am going to give you one last scripture verse to look through and study. I pray that those who have been hurt by this judgment of this last person's post would find consolation to know that we, as humans have a fallen nature, but we are born into the family of Christ through the atonement in Christ's blood. He died was buried, and rose again on the third day and ascended to Heaven to redeem those under the law of sin and death by faith though grace; and not by any works of our own, lest anyone should boast.

Jude 1:4-7 "4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. 5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them, in like manner giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Paul says, "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but I will not be mastered by anything." 1:Corinthians 8

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Jud 4–7). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Mt 7). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

9. Sebastian154

Sebastian154 New Member

+19
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Others
    It's just a video game. I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that you're worried about it leads me to believe that you have a mature, discerning mind and can tell video games from reality. What becomes a problem, is when those video games start to impact the way that you see the world and think about your faith and this goes for all entertainment: music, movies, and books as well.

I play the original DOOM. The premise of the game is very violent, but I don't want to go out and start shooting people or things with a pump-action shotgun. Unlike the Columbine killers, I realize that it's just a computer program that was made to give people something to do when they have nothing better to do and I look at all video games like that. I play stuff like Street Fighter too and it doesn't make me want to go out and fist fight people. Chrono Trigger doesn't make me want to travel through time and cast lightning spells to defeat robots, see where I am going with this?