Is Democracy and Christianity compatible?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Is a democracy and Christianity compatible?
Tis an odd question, since this version of democracy came from the christian nations.
However, the only thing resembling a democracy in the scriptures was when Rehoboam was told if we would respond favourably, he would be their king forever ... but he didn't and 10 of the tribes went to Jeroboam. The mirror in the NT is over "works" via the reformation.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tis an odd question, since this version of democracy came from the christian nations.
However, the only thing resembling a democracy in the scriptures was when Rehoboam was told if we would respond favourably, he would be their king forever ... but he didn't and 10 of the tribes went to Jeroboam. The mirror in the NT is over "works" via the reformation.
I know my question is a little odd but so many democracies appear to claim they are based upon Christian foundations. How compatible is democracy with our Christian values. Thankyou for your reply

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Democracy and Christianity are compatible if the form of democracy if rooted in Judeo-Christian values. There are two main reasons to seek to lead others: to seek to do what is best for your and to seek to do what is best for others. This is not to say that there isn't some overlap, but Christianity stresses servant leadership, so it is the only form of leadership that is compatible with Democracy. So when the focus of democracy shifts from voting for what is best for my country to voting for what is best for me individually, or when the focus shifts from away from what God has said is for our own good to doing what is good in our own eyes, then it becomes less compatible with Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know my question is a little odd but so many democracies appear to claim they are based upon Christian foundations. How compatible is democracy with our Christian values. Thankyou for your reply

I think it is in the sense that God wants us to choose to follow Him, as opposed to being forced to.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it's a great question, thanks for asking it.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As someone has said.."What an odd question" Permit me to answer it this way. As Christians we live in a Theocracy. Democracy is compatible in that people, and their well being, are a major consideration. Democracy will do until Jesus takes the reins at the beginning of the millennium. Unless you prefer a totalitarian system?

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

No.

A democracy is tyranny by the majority.

A republic protects the rights of individuals, regardless of what the majority wants.

God Bless,
SBC

• Agree
Reactions: LionL
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Generally, yes. Though, it should be noted, as we are well explained to in the Law and Prophets, God always has controlled the nations.

Are we today where we need to be? No. But, we will be there sooner then people may think.

It is all about fulcrum. Leverage.

You pull back the bow string... and sooner or later, you let it loose.

Then, everything will be restored.

Upvote 0