Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very informative article, quite well done. Up there in quality with the best of American reporting.

The Australian ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) tends to be left wing. But I'll admit that their reporting and the ease of finding and reading their articles makes it my usual source of online news.

The commercial news stations are loaded with cluttered imagery.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Australian ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) tends to be left wing. But I'll admit that their reporting and the ease of finding and reading their articles makes it my usual source of online news.

If you can look past the "progressive" leftist agenda, the ABC is a reasonable news source. I put progressive in inverted commas because it's an Orwellian word. "Progressive" now means hell bent on destroying every vestige of Christian morality and personal freedoms that empower people to make their own decisions and choices about right and wrong.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are there people beyond the fringe who actually believe it doesn't exist? I don't deny its existence, I stand in 100% opposition to government mandates though. My view represents the overwhelming majority of those who are skeptics on the subject, we oppose mandates and call into question government accounting methods. The virus exists though, complete with a 99.6% survival rate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Watched a ~ 20 minute video of one of Australia ABC segments or specials on Covid a few months back, and their live stream a few times. I like getting new perspectives.

The Australian ABC news takes their time and gets into interesting detail.

Less frenetic than many American news sources, which are increasingly quick takes.

We are falling under a twitter style -- the world in just a few words, 140 characters.

Today, many Americans know little of what's happening. Many have just a fantasy version of reality.

Like the imaginary world Trump tweets out or says in short campaign sound bites. Such as when he said, so many times, repetition, that the virus is going away.

Some even seem to believe most of what Trump says, even though the virus rapidly increases as anyone could learn in any major news source practically (including Fox News, etc.).

They seem to live in a shell that prevents information/reality/knowledge from entering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Are there people beyond the fringe who actually believe it doesn't exist? I don't deny its existence, I stand in 100% opposition to government mandates though. My view represents the overwhelming majority of those who are skeptics on the subject, we oppose mandates and call into question government accounting methods. The virus exists though, complete with a 99.6% survival rate.
There are road rules to ensure that roads are basically safe. Do you object to those? The death and injury rate per mile driven is statistically negligible, not worth worrying about. Unless, of course, you are the victim and your car is wrecked by a drunk who walks away unharmed.

Do you not have a right to be protected from people who have the virus and could easily give it to you? Australia's approach has been harsh. We also have an incredibly low number of deaths from the virus. But for government bungling, it would have been much lower still. The problem is how easily the virus spreads. There has been a new outbreak, probably caused by a returning traveller or maybe flight crew. It's like a chain reaction and so it spreads more quickly than normal flu.

Australia is bushfire prone, like California. There are days where it is illegal to light a fire in the open. Recently, half of Fraser Island was destroyed. Some campers lit a fire and it got out of control. They broke the rules and have been charged. Should there be rules about camp fires? If it was your farm that was destroyed by fire started by someone who disobeyed the rules, you would probably not be happy.

Governments are increasingly being distrusted. Who can blame those who rebel? Except that God takes a dim view of it, especially among Christians. Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. You will find that a rebellious society breeds an authoritarian government. I suggest that the younger generation learn Chinese. They will be needing it unless there is a change of heart.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are road rules to ensure that roads are basically safe. Do you object to those? The death and injury rate per mile driven is statistically negligible, not worth worrying about. Unless, of course, you are the victim and your car is wrecked by a drunk who walks away unharmed.

Do you not have a right to be protected from people who have the virus and could easily give it to you? Australia's approach has been harsh. We also have an incredibly low number of deaths from the virus. But for government bungling, it would have been much lower still. The problem is how easily the virus spreads. There has been a new outbreak, probably caused by a returning traveller or maybe flight crew. It's like a chain reaction and so it spreads more quickly than normal flu.

Australia is bushfire prone, like California. There are days where it is illegal to light a fire in the open. Recently, half of Fraser Island was destroyed. Some campers lit a fire and it got out of control. They broke the rules and have been charged. Should there be rules about camp fires? If it was your farm that was destroyed by fire started by someone who disobeyed the rules, you would probably not be happy.

Governments are increasingly being distrusted. Who can blame those who rebel? Except that God takes a dim view of it, especially among Christians. Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. You will find that a rebellious society breeds an authoritarian government. I suggest that the younger generation learn Chinese. They will be needing it unless there is a change of heart.
There isn't the slightest bit of evidence that government action has made anyone safe. There's plenty of rhetoric but precious little evidence.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There isn't the slightest bit of evidence that government action has made anyone safe. There's plenty of rhetoric but precious little evidence.

So you seriously believe that if there were no fire regulations, road regulations, air traffic regulations, building safety standards, electric appliance safety regulations, food safety regulations, waste disposal regulations, medical oversight organizations and gazillion other things there would be less deaths and more safety ?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you seriously believe that if there were no fire regulations, road regulations, air traffic regulations, building safety standards, electric appliance safety regulations, food safety regulations, waste disposal regulations, medical oversight organizations and gazillion other things there would be less deaths and more safety ?
I find that with regulations such as you cite they are never actually about safety but rather politically connected businesses using the power of the state to destroy their competition. All in the name of safety of course. Markets demand safety, government demands campaign donations followed by obedience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I thought he was talking only about Covid but perhaps it was a more general comment as you suggest. If so, then I expect the best way to disprove his assertion would be to provide the evidence that he says he has not seen.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I disagree, at least in Australia. Poor government policy, or at least implementation, has resulted in many unnecessary cases and consequently, some deaths. Once the implementation improved, the number of cases dropped, in Victoria at least, to zero. Now life is pretty much back to normal. So Australia can be seen as a test case where strict quarantine, social distancing and mask wearing regulations have been enforced. It's been hard, especially on the medical profession. Now life is returning to normal. The economy is springing back to life. For sure it could all fall apart at any time. Just one undetected case could undo all the hard work of many months. From what I've observed, the real false rhetoric is on the "it's not a problem" side. I suspect that the real winner in the USA and other sceptic nations is the funeral industry.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I disagree, at least in Australia. Poor government policy, or at least implementation, has resulted in many unnecessary cases and consequently, some deaths. Once the implementation improved, the number of cases dropped, in Victoria at least, to zero. Now life is pretty much back to normal. So Australia can be seen as a test case where strict quarantine, social distancing and mask wearing regulations have been enforced. It's been hard, especially on the medical profession. Now life is returning to normal. The economy is springing back to life. For sure it could all fall apart at any time. Just one undetected case could undo all the hard work of many months. From what I've observed, the real false rhetoric is on the "it's not a problem" side. I suspect that the real winner in the USA and other sceptic nations is the funeral industry.
That's the problem, one case will result in extreme totalitarian action by the state. Free people shouldn't put up with any of this.

The funeral industry is hardly going gangbusters. Despite the hysteria, deaths in the United States are only up 15%. To listen to the media there are bodies all over the place, it simply isn't true.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If consumers demand safe products, manufacturers respond accordingly. If fact, government action is usually a step or two behind the market when it comes to safety regulations. That has been true in car manufacturering. Seat belts and air bags came about not through regulation but because consumers demanded safer products. Go back a century, progressives make a big deal out of food regulations but consumers were already demanding safer food products and manufacturers were responding on their own. In fact, regulations were pushed by big food manufacturers such as Heinz because they could control the regulations through campaign donations and then use the regulations to destroy their competitors. Heinz bought up some of their competitors at reduced prices because of this, otherwise they put them out of business because the regulations were draconian. Safety was never a consideration.

Upvote 0