Is consistent daily prayer the way to go if I'm seeking an encounter?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Exactly. Please @TruthSeek3r pay attention to this post, because there is an extreme amount of wisdom herein.

Consider what our Lord said to Thomas, “Blessed are those who have not seen me, yet still believe.”

Those who truely seek Me will find me...

He is a God who is accessible.

Let's not allow the Devil's schemes eclipse God's promises.

Otherwise we end up with religion and no relationship.

• Agree
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I am not denying that.

Indeed. Any time you want to access Him in a holy miracle, you should go to Church. Because where two or more are gathered in His name, there He is in the midst of them. And in the Eucharist, all non-Memorialist and non-Zwingliast Christians, which is to say almost all Christians, from Calvinists to Catholics and from Episcopalians to Eastern Orthodox, believe we encounter Him in a spiritual or spiritual and physical manner, or some variation thereof. But most of us agree in His real presence. And likewise in Baptism we join with Him in the Jordan.

It would be extremely unjustified to accuse the Orthodox of that. The reason why they write so much about Prelest is because Orthodoxy has Hesychasm, the tradition of the unceasing prayer of the heart, through which some monks are blessed to see the uncreated light of God, but which if pursued recklessly can lead to severe spiritual delusion resulting in death due to demonic attacks. These demons are real and more Christians need to be aware of the demonic and of the life-saving Cross.

That sentence makes no sense. What do you think the literal translation of the word “religion” is?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not denying that.

Indeed. Any time you want to access Him in a holy miracle, you should go to Church. Because where two or more are gathered in His name, there He is in the midst of them. And in the Eucharist, all non-Memorialist and non-Zwingliast Christians, which is to say almost all Christians, from Calvinists to Catholics and from Episcopalians to Eastern Orthodox, believe we encounter Him in a spiritual or spiritual and physical manner, or some variation thereof. But most of us agree in His real presence. And likewise in Baptism we join with Him in the Jordan.

It would be extremely unjustified to accuse the Orthodox of that. The reason why they write so much about Prelest is because Orthodoxy has Hesychasm, the tradition of the unceasing prayer of the heart, through which some monks are blessed to see the uncreated light of God, but which if pursued recklessly can lead to severe spiritual delusion resulting in death due to demonic attacks. These demons are real and more Christians need to be aware of the demonic and of the life-saving Cross.

That sentence makes no sense. What do you think the literal translation of the word “religion” is?

There are many readers on the forum who know exactly what I mean.

I consider church fellowship essential but I see no scriptural support to suggest the Holy Spirit only encounters believers in Church services.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I consider church fellowship essential but I see no scriptural support to suggest the Holy Spirit only encounters believers in Church services.

I agree. I've watched lots of testimonies of encounters with the Holy Spirit that have happened in a private setting. They also happen in church services, but that's not the only setting where they happen.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I want to go beyond theoretical ideas and anecdotal stories of other people, and have my own testimony and personal encounter with the Creator, is consistent daily prayer the way to go? Should I concentrate my efforts on developing a solid habit of daily prayer, before and after bedtime? What advice would you give to someone who is seeking an encounter with God?

Your post concerns me. It sounds like Gideon you are wanting to put a fleece out for God and for him to 'show himself'.
Luke 4:12
Jesus answered, "It is said: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test."
If you are seeking some large defining moment you are more likely to encounter Satan. He and his demons are only too ready to give encounters which is why people go to things like seances because 'something happens'.

Meanwhile God tends to be in the whisper.
1 Kings 18
11 Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
13 So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave.

Just be wary of looking for 'an experience'

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When people use the word 'religion' they generally mean a system of songs, traditions, things to do. Something that is done outwardly like putting money in the plate and knelling at a rail because that is what is done.
Someone can have religion but not relationship and someone can have relationship without religion and some will have both.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If I want to go beyond theoretical ideas and anecdotal stories of other people, and have my own testimony and personal encounter with the Creator, is consistent daily prayer the way to go? Should I concentrate my efforts on developing a solid habit of daily prayer, before and after bedtime? What advice would you give to someone who is seeking an encounter with God?
Don't do that for an encounter, but rather pray because people that you pray for need it, and pray because God is the one you come to with your praises and petitions.

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think the analogy I used earlier applies. If someone is looking for money they will fall prey to all sorts of scams if they seek a get rich quick scheme. However if they decide to assess their financial situation, look at where they can save money, improve their employment status etc. then slowly they can build towards the wealth they seek.

Someone asking 'what can I do to have a mystical experience?' to me sounds like someone looking for a get rich quick scheme. And I think the only appropriate response to this is to say 'be careful'. And that is not to say one cannot develop a relationship to God in one's life and have some powerful transcendent experiences, but these are often developed through the small day to day and seemingly mundane things, much like the person looking to save in a sensible fashion might decide to spend 50p less on something knowing that over time it will add up.

Basically I do not suggest that one should never seek God for fear of demonic forces, but one should approach God knowing the forces that work against us in that endeavour and thus proceed with caution

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Look outside in creation, look at any living thing. Nothing has life without Him. Scripture says He directs their paths, living things, creatures, the sea, the weather.

We are told to pray without ceasing, not just twice in a day. Prayer can be simply acknowledging Him in everything we do. Live in His ways, love Him and love those around you. Understand your failings and bring them before God before He brings them before you. In short, walk with God in agreement. And worship Him. I've had encounters in scripture, in church, in creation especially, in prayer, in leading bible study, in receiving in bible study. Suble encounters that you need to watch or listen for and profound ones. They usually come when you least expect them. I've never asked for one. I've asked for answers to things in life, they tend to materialize by way of open doors unto your path. You may not even realize it till you look back 20 years later that it was all God and you just responded..
This is a more eloquent way of saying exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP. Very good post, friend. I have also noticed the same thing in my life. Especially when I keep Jesus on my mind in...I guess you could call it, casual conversation ? throughout the day.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about - tell us about your journey so far.

The problem I have with your question is that we are saved by faith.

That is why I asked if you were born again.

Unless you begin in humility with a simple childlike response to God that results in His Spirit indwelling you, you will forever seek and not find.

The door to a relationship with Him is a whole hearted surrender to Him with a repentant heart.

So rather than asking for a sign - ask for a thirst for Him that will bring you to surrender and a thirst that will only be quenched by the refreshing of the living waters of His Spirit within you.

Then you will know that you know.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 20, 2020
Northeast
✟16,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2020
Northeast
✟16,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Prayer is key in hearing God! Ask God to open your heart to hear his voice.....and to drown out the noise of every day life. Read the Scriptures, in doing so you will also hear Him speaking to your heart. Talk to God as you would any friend. He is answering in the silence of your heart, in a whisper, in the every day. You could be taking a walk and God is speaking to your heart. You can have an exchange with a friend or a co-worker and you will feel His presence. Be open to seeing all the ways that He is real and present. You can also seek spiritual counseling through your church. You can become part of a bible study. These are all ways you get to know God better....entering into a deeper relationship with Jesus.....and hearing Him speak to you in the every day. May God bless you and may you know Him in all the ways you seek Him.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

And to be clear, that is not what I am saying. God is everywhere present and fills all things. It is simply that, as Scripture says, there is an extreme benefit to praying to God with others.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You know, the Bible says we encounter God daily through the following:

Conviction of sin. (John 16:8)
Illumination of God's truth. (John 14:26; John 16:13)
Strengthening in times of temptation and trial. (Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13)
Development of the Fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)
Divine discipline. (Hebrews 12:5-11)
Glorification of God in the mind and heart. (John 16:14)

This is what the Bible describes of the normal, daily experience of God that every genuine born-again believer will have. This experience isn't flashy like Moses's burning bush and plagues; it's not wild and crazy like Samson's violent shenanigans were; it's not astonishing in the way Elijah's fiery battle with the pagan priests of Baal was; but it is the way God has told us in His word that we can expect to experience Him. In fact, if one claiming to be saved does not have a daily encounter of God in the ways described above (at least), one has something seriously wrong with one's walk with God.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Carl,

I would be a little careful, asking a person to, "know" they are born again. I spent 10-15 wasted years trying to figure out if I was born again. Eventually, I just had to accept the Word of God, that when I believed in the forgiveness offered by the cross, I was born again.

Since just accepting the fact by faith, not feeling, God has worked miraculously through my life. Not everyone will feel, know, God is with them.
I agree, I prayed in complete humility and resignation to God for 2 years, but didn't see or hear him, but my life was transformed anyway.
Looking back I fancied I saw signs, my eye being directed to things that were to come, I was drawn to pidgeons cooing together and an absolute abundance of berries, nuts and ither of natures bounties, I took note of them at the time as signs, and if they were indeed divinely sent then that's exactly what I was about to recieve, not long after that I met the love of my life and was about to enter the happiest most fulfilling part of my life in every corner of it. I choose to believe in them as signs as I was praying all the time, and listening and looking, without directing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And to be clear, that is not what I am saying. God is everywhere present and fills all things. It is simply that, as Scripture says, there is an extreme benefit to praying to God with others.

Couldn't agree more...

Upvote 0