Midwest
✟15,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am just curious if anyone has been convicted by the Holy Spirit against drinking coffee.

I know God allows some things in people's lives and not in others so I am just curious about your relationship with coffee.

God Bless.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, not at all. I do not find it a hinderance to life, or worship. On the contrary, a cup in the morning helps me focus on reading the scriptures and prayer first thing.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am just curious if anyone has been convicted by the Holy Spirit against drinking coffee.

I know God allows some things in people's lives and not in others so I am just curious about your relationship with coffee.

God Bless.

I haven’t but if someone else has then I would say they should refrain from it.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

God Bless.

Thanks for this post, it just reminded me that I need another cup!

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Miggs

Jan 15, 2021
Midwest
✟15,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard of a church or homeless shelter or even AA meeting that doesn't have the stuff.

Then there's the whole South American Continent.

If tea is equal to coffee the whole world is going to Hell.

Romans 14:3

The post is based on this scripture alone and based on each one's personal situation. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. I don't like the taste of coffee, but drink other caffeinated drinks.
  2. Short of addiction or health concerns, it is acceptable.
  3. I have met people who acknowledged caffeine addictions. Addiction is a psychobabble word for idolatry.
  4. If the Holy Spirit is convicting you, #2 does not apply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well...speaking for myself that would be "no".

I believe my signature might answer that question:
I roasted 9,888 pounds of coffee last year. :coffee:
to paraphrase an old commercial: "I'm not just the roaster, I'm also a consumer!" :D

God Bless.
and you as well!
tulc(is drinking coffee and typing with one finger this very second!) :coffee:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hardly. The post is based on this scripture alone and based on each one's personal situation.
I was being facetious...not serious.

Yes, coffee is addictive as the caffeine is a mild stimulant that if not enough water is consumed will cause kidney stones.

A painful thing...

But Generally speaking coffee is not a sin...nor is tea...nor are candies or anything else.
It's the overindulgence and desperation to have these things that might be sinful.

Otherwise...it's legalism.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

God Bless.

I also love coffee and think this this is more a Mormon sentiment. After knowing some Ethiopians I tend to see coffee as almost a Christian drink (they were the ones that popularized the drinking of it).

Ethiopian coffee.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

God Bless.

A behaviour is a sin if it is a transgression against God or against someone else. Explain to me slowly how drinking coffee fits into that because I don't get it.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Coffee is rich in antioxidants, and the caffeine can help enhance our focus/awareness. As @JohnDB just mentioned, used in moderation (which is a standard that is different for each person) it can be a very good/healthy beverage*.

*(never heard of the Kidney Stone problem before?)

--David
p.s. - I typically drink 2 cups per day. I also love it in the form of a Latte :)

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Found this interesting:

"Christianity hasn't always cottoned to coffee. In her aptly titled book, "Coffee," Claudia Rosen explains that 16th-century priests wanted Pope Clement VIII to ban "the devil's drink." They insisted that Satan had forbidden his followers--Muslims--from drinking wine because it was used in Holy Communion. Instead, the devil provided this "hellish black brew."

The elixir made from coffee beans does in fact have a long history in Islamic regions. African tribes mixed the crushed beans with animal fat and molded them into balls to eat as a stimulant before battle. Arabs made the first hot coffee beverage, in 1000 A.D. Dervishes--mystic devotees of Islam's Sufi sect--consumed coffee at all-night ceremonies as fuel for achieving religious ecstasy. Arabs also invented the ibrik, or coffee broiler. As coffee lost it's strictly religious significance, the first coffee houses appeared in Mecca.

Coffee may have remained a Middle-Eastern exotic had not Clement VIII decided to put it to the taste test before banning it. "Why, this Satan's drink is so delicious," he declared, "that it would be a pity to let the infidels have exclusive use of it. We shall cheat Satan by baptizing it."

In 1683, a Franciscan friar named Marciano d'Aviano stopped a Turkish invasion of Austria, and along the way, some claim, invented cappuccino. The retreating Turks left behind bags of coffee beans, historians say, which the Viennese found so bitter that they added milk and sugar, creating a frothy, sweet beverage. Legend says the word "cappuccino" comes from d'Aviano's Capuchin order, so named for their brown robes. Pope John Paul II, himself an avowed coffee lover, beatified Marciano d'Aviano this spring (citing other, presumably decaffeinated, miracles he performed).

Still, in mid- to late-18th century Europe, coffee was viewed with mistrust. Johann Sebastian Bach, an avid coffee drinker and devout Lutheran, composed his "Coffee Cantata" in 1732. In this satirical operetta, a stern father forbids his daughter to touch the evil drink, vowing not to let her marry if she continues drinking it. She pleads: "Father, don't be so severe! If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat." She refuses to marry any man who does not promise, in their written marriage contract, to let her "make myself coffee whenever I want.""
Coffee has a long history in Christianity, and has become an indispensible drink dispensed in churches across America - Beliefnet

Something I read before did tell of a time when coffee was approved of by the clergy. They said something to the effect that it is good for industriousness and for heightened study focus.

Ha ha, I remember when I was in Teen Challenge, that's the only drug (caffeine) that we were permitted to indulge in. So, it was often said that many of the residents had supplemented the coffee for their drug of choice and used (or abused?) it accordingly.

I even coined the phrase "Golden-calf. Coffee", as a play on Decaf and the golden calf of Scripture.

:hrelax:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also love coffee and this this more a Mormon sentiment. After knowing some Ethiopians I tend to see coffee as almost a Christian drink (they were the ones that popularized the drinking of it).

View attachment 293470
Interesting, I just roasted about 60 pounds of Ethiopian beans over the last 3 weeks (we have a substantial population of Ethiopians in my neighborhood) and it's becoming quite a popular drink in our coffeehouse.
tulc(tends to drink a darker roast than what we roast those beans to) :coffee:

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Miggs

Jan 15, 2021
Midwest
✟15,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A behaviour is a sin if it is a transgression against God or against someone else. Explain to me slowly how drinking coffee fits into that because I don't get it.

I was wondering if anyone has been convicted by the Holy Spirit against drinking coffee because I have. Apparently it does not fit into my life. It is not the coffee. It is the conviction by the Holy Spirit. Sorry for the confusion.

Romans 14:3 is what my thinking was as well as all of Romans 14.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God Bless.

^_^ yeh. Caffeine, really. Because I drank it wrong time of the day and it effected my sleep and things. No sleep effected my day to day. Now I have kids, so it doesnt matter. It helps me rather then becoming a temptation in self control.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're overdoing caffeine to get a "rush", that can be bad. If you have hypertension and it raises your blood pressure, that's bad. I love the flavor of coffee, but I drink decaf because I don't want too much caffeine, because too much can make me jittery.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Miggs

Jan 15, 2021
Midwest
✟15,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry if my original post was misinterpreted. God allows some things in people's lives and others he does not. The same exact thing. Romans 14 is clear on this.

The Holy Spirit has convicted me of drinking any sort of caffeine, including coffee. Does this mean caffeine or coffee by nature is bad? Of course not. Again, Romans 14 is clear.

The original intent was to see just how many people have had the same conviction.

Upvote 0