Is Christianity intolerant of other beliefs, cultures and viewpoints, etc?

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Just who are you saying are these servants, which are to be slain?
I did not write that his servants are to be slain. I wrote "he orders his servants to bring & slay before him those who refuse his reign".

Those who are to be slain are "those who refuse his reign"; whether they are his servants or not is not explained in the text.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know yet about the comments about the owner, but they are not tolerated about Christianity once the mods become aware of them. They have been both deleted and warnings sent to me.

And yet, here you are...being tolerated by the owner and mods.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
And yet, here you are...being tolerated by the owner and mods.

I'm tolerated as long as I accept the restrictions they impose on me. Should I say things that I know to be true but don't comply with those restrictions, I'm likely to have the comments deleted and a 'warning' issued to me.

They have structured their intolerance in such a way that people who want to deny it exists, can deny it. Once something has been deleted, I can't refer you to it. And all the sanctions are done by private messaging.

The only 'evidence' of their work is the occasional message that a thread is closed for 'review'. That means they are trying to purge someone's post and make the whole thread look like the post was never there.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm tolerated as long as I accept the restrictions they impose on me. Should I say things that I know to be true but don't comply with those restrictions, I'm likely to have the comments deleted and a 'warning' issued to me.

They have structured their intolerance in such a way that people who want to deny it exists, can deny it. Once something has been deleted, I can't refer you to it. And all the sanctions are done by private messaging.

The only 'evidence' of their work is the occasional message that a thread is closed for 'review'. That means they are trying to purge someone's post and make the whole thread look like the post was never there.

That is part of being on a private site. They can make whatever rules they want. Whether they are fair to all view points, is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
That is part of being on a private site. They can make whatever rules they want. Whether they are fair to all view points, is irrelevant.

Of course they can make all the rules they want. Those rules can be tolerant or intolerant of the users of the site.

I just pointed out that this site, which proclaims its Christian orientation, has rules which are intolerant of others. I use that as further evidence that Christianity is intolerant of others.

And since the issue of whether Christianity is intolerant of others is the question the thread is based on, I think my pointing out that intolerance is germane to the thread.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

That very thing happened to me this morning on this forum.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course they can make all the rules they want. Those rules can be tolerant or intolerant of the users of the site.

I just pointed out that this site, which proclaims its Christian orientation, has rules which are intolerant of others. I use that as further evidence that Christianity is intolerant of others.

And since the issue of whether Christianity is intolerant of others is the question the thread is based on, I think my pointing out that intolerance is germane to the thread.

And I would expect that on a private Christian site. I have been on atheists sites and they are less tolerant of theists as well.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well when you are sitting on the dark side of the Moon, you don't even know there is a place where there is light.

That is where you are, and not only are you sitting in the dark, you have your eyes shut, and your hands are over your ears, so you won't hear those telling you to "COME TO THE LIGHT!"

Your comfortable where you are.
He’s still correct with his two examples of prohibition and not letting gay people get married.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Ellis
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It doesn't even have to be a non-Christian prayer to get in trouble on this forum. This is, hands down, the least tolerant 'Christian' forum I've ever been a part of.
To be honest that’s what keeps me coming back.

If people were not so dead set defending all sorts of conspiracies, religious infighting, science denial, racism, sexism, homophobia it would simply be a site where people would say:

Atheist: “Do you believe in God?”
Christian: “Yep”
A:“What about all the awfulness in the Bible and going to Hell?”(cue litiny of example from the OT)
C: “Yeah, that was horrible. My thinking is that Jesus cake to wash away all of that nastiness and people should just be nice to each other. Live and let live kind of thing”
A: that is logically inconsistent.
C: but have I Faith that it’s true.
A: Fair enough.

Or

Catholic: “it really is blood”
Protestant: “no it isn’t”
C: “maybe God makes it real for me and symbolic for you.
P: Fair enough.

In every fora.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even in our present-day society where no one is allowed to offend anyone else, that particular statement (above) is going too far. What do you expect any religion to be doing--advocating for its heartfelt beliefs...or adopting the attitude that all religions are equally correct?
:sigh:

well what were talking about is, missionaries come on, ban local religions, speaking any language that isn't english or what ever is dominate. It's not just going in and saying Christianity is true, but also activly banning and forcing it on others.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All right. That may be what was intended in the first place, but if so, the word "intolerant" was IMHO a misleading--and prejudicial--one to use in order to describe what was meant.

But at the same time, I have to ask if describing actions characteristic of some missionaries from 100 or 200 years ago--but not any longer--is a fair way to evaluate "Christianity" as we know it in our own lives and times.

Upvote 0

Archie Dupont

Nov 25, 2017
Houston
✟10,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course, that is not to say that being intolerant of certain beliefs is always a bad thing. Some beliefs shouldn't be tolerated, such as the belief that genocide is a good thing, for example.

And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain. Deuteronomy 2:34

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archie Dupont

Nov 25, 2017
Houston
✟10,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're not even talking about Christianity anymore, so here's where this exchange ought to end.

Of course he is. He is stating that it is Christianities fault. That point is so obvious he doesn't need to explain that again

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard that Christianity is intolerant to other cultures and destroys other cultures and beliefs is there any proof of that or does complement them?
I would not think Christianity complements other religions. I think of complementary triangles.. There is no room for another triangle with Christianity. It takes up the whole 180°, or maybe 360°.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People who are Christians are the one's that are intolerant of other beliefs, not Christianity itself.

Also, there are plenty of Christians on this site, that are very intolerant of other Christians, because they don't agree on interpretation of scripture.

Upvote 0