Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If Christianity was bad news for women then there would have only been *male* disciples.
If christianity was bad news for women then they all would have been destroyed after Jesus birth.
Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterwards that I will pour out of my spirit upon *all* flesh and your sons and your *daughters* shall prophesy (proclaim\preach) your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.
29 : And also upon the servants and the *handmaids* in those days will *I* pour out *my* spirit.
So why promise an outpouring of His Holy Spirit to women if Christianity is bad news for them? I think people make their mistakes when they don't fully consider the awesome power of God that can work in *any* person's life regardless of their gender.
The OP was pointing out that how Gods words are interpreted and applied are bad news for women on many fronts.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The OP was pointing out that how Gods words are interpreted and applied are bad news for women on many fronts.
But not the WAY, not YHWH'S WAY.
Only as you posted "...how God's words are interpreted and applied..." bad, bad, bad.

YHWH'S WORD is perfect, for the soul, for the spirit, for life, for truth, for all - everyone, everywhere.
As YHWH intended. As YHWH Said.

Not as man devised.

Upvote 0

Victory-N-Christ

God:Mighty -N-Power!!
Feb 25, 2017
Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
But not the WAY, not YHWH'S WAY.
Only as you posted "...how God's words are interpreted and applied..." bad, bad, bad.

YHWH'S WORD is perfect, for the soul, for the spirit, for life, for truth, for all - everyone, everywhere.
As YHWH intended. As YHWH Said.

Not as man devised.
Amen!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
20170807_213250.jpg

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zoii, maybe my eyes are not what they used to be, but I am not able to read the various comments, even when it is blown up.

Could you type them out?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My computer display has a pretty sharp resolution, so I'm able to read most of the writing in the picture. It's a bunch of the Bible verses that get used to break women's spirits, and sometimes to break our minds and bodies as well, such as "Your husband will rule over you", "Let women learn in silence", "Unto woman I shall multiply thy sorrow", and "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live", all with references.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a bunch of the Bible verses that get used to break women's spirits,
Oy. Nothing like taking things out of context.

And as they used to say: "A text without a context is a pretext."

• Winner
Reactions: JRichard68
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But that's the point, Dave. Those quotes are consistently taken out of context to control women; and the result is broken women who've been taught to believe their brokenness is their own fault.

Zoii, the work is beautiful. Is it one of yours?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But that's the point, Dave. Those quotes are consistently taken out of context to control women; and the result is broken women who've been taught to believe their brokenness is their own fault.

Zoii, the work is beautiful. Is it one of yours?
Yes I did it last night after reading more of the Handmaids tale. Unfortunately I didnt have a rubber or a sharpener at the time (I left my stuff at my friend's) so its a bit rough.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once I realized they were all scriptures, I got that.

I have probably heard all of them from my dad at one point or another. He was very knowledgeable in the scriptures, and I tried to match his seminary training on my own. But by the time I felt I could confront him on many of those things he had a series of strokes and it became rather pointless.

Funny thing is he was ordained in the FIRST denomination to ordain women; Wesleyan Methodist.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victory-N-Christ

Feb 25, 2017
Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, and mind you I'm well aware that this is an egalitarian page..but here goes.
1: women allow themselves to be broken when they feed into the negative things which they *perceive* are God's plan for them.
2: women are empowered through the holy ghost as I've stated in my previous post.
It's my opinion that women in particular should search out scriptures that empowers them.
A good place to start is Judges 4.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1: women allow themselves to be broken when they feed into the negative things which they *perceive* are God's plan for them.

This is an oversimplification. Nobody "allows" themselves to be broken by free and conscious choice (in this context). People are deceived, manipulated, controlled, have powerful forces arrayed against them; and people are overwhelmed, crushed, broken by those forces.

Yes, God can work through that and healing can come after that, but it's not a simple matter of suggesting that women just need a bit more starch in their bonnets and all will be well.

Upvote 0

Victory-N-Christ

Feb 25, 2017
Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is an oversimplification. Nobody "allows" themselves to be broken by free and conscious choice (in this context). People are deceived, manipulated, controlled, have powerful forces arrayed against them; and people are overwhelmed, crushed, broken by those forces.

Yes, God can work through that and healing can come after that, but it's not a simple matter of suggesting that women just need a bit more starch in their bonnets and all will be well.
Greetings ma'am.
I'm unsure of how to address you and hope you don't take offense at my using "ma'am"
I disagree. Women do need to toughen up and study scripture ( well the christian women specifically) and come to an understanding that they don't have to be a victim.This is what annoys me about some women.The fact that they have bought into this women are lower than men foolishness when all power comes from God and if more women would tap into the power source they'd recognize their strength.And generally they'd be harder to manipulate and all that other stuff you said.
Weak women are any one's doormat. Do you think that Anna was too scared of what men would say when she told everyone about Jesus? What about Deborah?
I'm just not understanding this issue and I never have.Probably because Iam more familiar with *strong* christian women who are independent without being obnoxious about it.
That's all.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Paidiske is fine.

That's the whole point of this area; providing a space where we can dig into the resources which will enable a vibrant and well-integrated faith for all.

But describing women as victims, doormats, weak or dependent (or alternatively obnoxious) is incredibly hurtful or offensive when we know how many women literally die, are beaten, are abused emotionally, financially and spiritually; and still find in Christ the strength, the dignity and the courage to persevere, and to seek to build others up.

We are not here because we are victims; we are here because we are survivors; because we stand valiant and unconquered in the face of those who would trample us underfoot, and because we want to build a church and a world which is better, gentler, kinder, to those who come after us.

6dec682a413778663603312bdbdc08ee--sword-of-truth-warrior-images.jpg

Please refrain from belittling us any further.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Greetings ma'am.
I'm unsure of how to address you and hope you don't take offense at my using "ma'am"
I disagree. Women do need to toughen up and study scripture ( well the christian women specifically) and come to an understanding that they don't have to be a victim.This is what annoys me about some women.The fact that they have bought into this women are lower than men foolishness when all power comes from God and if more women would tap into the power source they'd recognize their strength.And generally they'd be harder to manipulate and all that other stuff you said.
Weak women are any one's doormat. Do you think that Anna was too scared of what men would say when she told everyone about Jesus? What about Deborah?
I'm just not understanding this issue and I never have.Probably because Iam more familiar with *strong* christian women who are independent without being obnoxious about it.
That's all.
Its fortunate that you or those you know have not suffered the effects of how some men view their rights biblically. It sounds like you know no woman who had been a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, and particularly not been exposed to comments within the church that may hide or even encourage those issues. Thats great... I have though.

It sounds like you do not believe women should be silent, that women should lead as well as men, and that it includes places such as marriage and within the church. Is that correct? If so then perhaps youre at odds with your comments if you think women who are victims are just whiney weaklings

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Women do need to toughen up and study scripture ( well the christian women specifically) and come to an understanding that they don't have to be a victim.
The same church that taught me that God exists, and that we are saved through the work of Jesus, also taught me that wives should be subject to their husbands and that women should not hold positions of authority in the church. It took me forever to sort this out, maybe the first 35 or 40 years of my life. Scripture, as you must know, is ambiguous; we have "love your neighbor" and "in Christ there is...neither male nor female", but we also have all those weapons of Scripture that Zoii put in her wonderful drawing. Can you understand what it's like to grow up in a Christian church that teaches God's love and female submission side by side, for years and years?

Upvote 0