Is Christianity against Ayurveda (India Herbs System)?

Dec 24, 2008
✟15,127.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Ayurveda can be traced back originally from Hinduism (the Indian religion). I would like to know if there is any possibility that taking these herbs will eventually get connected with the spiritual world of the Hinduism. Besides, Ayurveda is closely tied with the new age movement. Would there be any spiritual implication while you are taking these herbs? Thank You.

hermanchauw

Apr 23, 2007
Singapore
Visit site
✟7,953.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I can't give you an answer. It is your conviction.

Some questions to ponder:
-Can Christians carry firearms because the terrorists/criminals
use them?
-Can Christians buy food prepared by people of other religions?
-Can Christians eat indian food, malay food, muslim food, kosher food etc?
-Can Christians participate in the Olympics because it has roots from pagan Greeks?
-Can Christians participate in Oriental martial arts?

Upvote 0

bmanishw

Feb 19, 2013
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi ChristianMarketer,

Trust these thoughts will help you verify your understanding -
Please consider this quote [Pls mark my emphasis in red] -
[FONT=&quot]Ayurveda trending in Dubai[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By ANI | ANI – Fri 8 Jun, 2012 3:09 PM IST[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dubai, June 8 (ANI): Ayurveda, a 5,000-year-old Indian health system that is believed to cure all internal and external ailments by a combination of its eight branches, has been approved by the Dubai Ministry of Health and the Dubai Health Authority.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Those who use it believe it to be a complete system of medicine, whether the area for treatment is internal and external.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ayurveda treatment"The basic principle of Ayurveda is that there are three energies in our body, Vata, Pitta and Kapha, which are controlling all of our functions," Gulf News quoted Dr Asha Jones, an Ayurvedic Practitioner at the Dubai Herbal Treatment Centre (DHTC), as saying.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vata is responsible for all movement in the body and is the most important of the three doshas. Pitta is responsible for all metabolisms in the body. Kapha provides the structures and the lubrication that the body needs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"If they are balanced, our body will be perfectly healthy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"When we see a patient, we see what energies have gone up or down with the main purpose of balancing these energies.' UNQUOTE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My comments on the Marked red emphasisised portions -[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The basic principle IS AN ASSUMPTION OR BELIEF that there are 3 energies flowing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where did we get that from is a question. Definitely not from the laboratory or the Bible.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With that assumption taken as a fact [which is debatable] we have these so called 'energies' contolling all our functions.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whoever practises ayurveda on you has to do so with this assumption.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So the whole exercise of treatment is to balance these energies. All treatments including occultic yoga, meditation etc are to balance the energy. So say for example viruses are not the cause of some of your sicknesses but an energy imbalance is. So you dont end up dealing with the viruses but with the mystical imbalance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The different herbs used, each carries certain energy levels as defined by this system and therefore you are to consume them not because of their nutritional value but because they will bring a 'balance' in your energies.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Opening up to this philosophy and treatment no doubt has spiritual implications.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't give you an answer. It is your conviction.

Some questions to ponder:
-Can Christians carry firearms because the terrorists/criminals
use them?
-Can Christians buy food prepared by people of other religions?
-Can Christians eat indian food, malay food, muslim food, kosher food etc?
-Can Christians participate in the Olympics because it has roots from pagan Greeks?
-Can Christians participate in Oriental martial arts?
All of the above I see no problem with.

Upvote 0

bmanishw

Feb 19, 2013
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear All,

Humbly request you to pls understand the philosophy behind Ayurveda.
It is NOT scientific.It is based on a philosophy that I have described above which is in conflict with both Biblical truth and science.
I personally grew up in an evironment where this system and its larger family is a lifestyle. After I got born again I had to disassociate myself from it though it is still practised all around here.

Upvote 0

Hawisher

Jan 3, 2013
✟1,075.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ayurveda can be traced back originally from Hinduism (the Indian religion). I would like to know if there is any possibility that taking these herbs will eventually get connected with the spiritual world of the Hinduism. Besides, Ayurveda is closely tied with the new age movement. Would there be any spiritual implication while you are taking these herbs? Thank You.

You're good.

EDIT: Amended on the basis of what IanCG said.

If it works, you're good.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ayurveda, among other things, involves taking certain herbs. So let's consider a few that they might use, in order to see their worth: Neem, aloe, goduchi, manjista, and goldenseal.

Wikipedia says about Neem:
Neem products are believed by Siddha and Ayurvedic practitioners to be Anthelmintic, antifungal, antidiabetic, antibacterial, antiviral, contraceptive and sedative.[13] It is considered a major component in siddha medicine and Ayurvedic and Unani medicine and is particularly prescribed for skin diseases.[14] Neem oil is also used for healthy hair, to improve liver function, detoxify the blood, and balance blood sugar levels.[15] Neem leaves have also been used to treat skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, etc.[10] However, insufficient research has been done to assess the purported benefits of neem.[16] In adults, short-term use of neem is safe, while long-term use may harm the kidneys or liver; in small children, neem oil is toxic and can lead to death.[16] Neem may also cause miscarriages, infertility, and low blood sugar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azadirachta_indica#Traditional_medicinal_use

Another Wikipedia article says: "Neem oil is not used for cooking purposes."
In India, it is used for preparing cosmetics (soap, hair products, body hygiene creams, hand creams) and in Ayurvedic, Unani and folklore traditional medicine, in the treatment of a wide range of afflictions. The most frequently reported indications in ancient Ayurvedic writings are skin diseases, inflammations and fevers, and more recently rheumatic disorders.

Traditional Ayurvedic uses of neem include the treatment of acne, fever, leprosy, malaria, ophthalmia and tuberculosis. Various folk remedies for neem include use as an anthelmintic, antifeedant, antiseptic, diuretic, emmenagogue, contraceptive, febrifuge, parasiticide, pediculocide and insecticide. It has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of tetanus, urticaria, eczema, scrofula and erysipelas.
A recently released study (2016) by the National University of Singapore that a compound derived from Neem oil holds promise in shrinking prostate tumors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Another article on Drugs.com says:
Neem has been used as an insecticide, insect repellent, and oral dentifrice, and in traditional medicine to treat malaria, diabetes, worms, and cardiovascular and skin diseases.
Toxicology
The seeds of neem are poisonous in large doses. Severe poisoning in infants from neem oil have been reported.

Animal data
Studies in mice and hamsters with neem leaf extracts showed decreased tumor burden and tumor incidence, 2 , 31 reduced chromosomal aberrations in induced cancers, and induced apoptosis. 31 Neem leaf extract showed an adjuvant immune response to tumor growth in mice as well as protection from leucopenia caused by chemotherapy.

https://www.drugs.com/npp/neem.html
FYI oral dentrifice means toothpaste. It sounds like it is a poison, so that taken in small enough doses it does not make you very sick, but it does kill insects, cause infertility, clean teeth, and kill germs in your body like diseases. And it cuts down on cancer cells. It sounds like a serious, strong medicine, but maybe not one to take unless you have an especially serious illness you need help getting rid of.

Another article talks about Neem oil used in major dosages:
Neem oil can be slightly irritating to the eyes and skin. Azadirachtin, a component of neem oil, can be very irritating to the skin and stomach. The remaining portion of neem oil is made of fatty acids, essential oils and other substances that are commonly eaten in a normal diet. These substances are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the United States Food and Drug Administration.

In other countries, neem oil has been used on cats for flea control. Some adverse reactions have been reported. Symptoms include feeling sluggish, excessive salivation, impaired movement, trembling, twitching, and convulsions. Some of the cats died. However, most of them recovered within 1 to 5 days.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/neemgen.html

Ayurveda uses an Aloe called Aloe vera. It's a laxative and also used for healing the skin, as well as protecting the skin of plants from decay. It sounds like it's potentially quite harmful for oral consumption:
Aloe vera is used in traditional medicine as a skin treatment.

Toxicity
Under the guidelines of California Proposition 65, orally ingested non-decolorized aloe vera leaf extract has been listed by the OEHHA, along with goldenseal, among "chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity".[62]

Use of topical aloe vera is not associated with significant side effects.[53] Oral ingestion of aloe vera, however, may cause abdominal cramps and diarrhea which in turn can decrease the absorption of drugs.[53] IARC studies have found ingested non-decolorized liquid aloe vera[63] to be carcinogenic in animals, and state that it is a possible carcinogen in humans as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloe_vera#Dietary_supplement

Another one is Guduchi/Giloy/heart-leaved moonseed (Tinospora cordifolia).

Web Md reports:
Tinospora cordifolia is used for diabetes, high cholesterol, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), upset stomach, gout, lymphoma and other cancers, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), hepatitis, peptic ulcer disease (PUD), fever, gonorrhea, syphilis, and to boost the immune system.
Tinospora cordifolia seems to be safe when used short-term. The safety of long-term use, more than 8 weeks, is not known.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...157&activeingredientname=tinospora cordifolia

An NIH report says it helps with the immune system but reduces the weight of testicles:
The novel (1,4)-alpha-D-glucan derived from the plant activates the immune system through the activation of macrophages via TLR6 signaling, NFkappaB translocation and cytokine production.[32,105] Tinospora cordifolia differentially regulate elevation of cytokines as evidenced by the increased production of antiangiogenic agents IL-2 and tissue inhibitor of metalloprotease-1 (TIMP-1) in the B16F10-injected, extract-treated animals. The observed antiangiogenic activity of the plant T. cordifolia is related to the regulation of the levels of cytokines and growth factors in the blood.[106] The aqueous extract of T. cordifolia was found to enhance phagocytosis in vitro. The aqueous and ethanolic extracts also induced an increase in antibody production in vivo.[107] T. cordifolia extract (TCE) treatment caused significant reduction in eosinophil count and improved hemoglobin in HIV patients.

The alcoholic and aqueous extracts of T. cordifolia are reported to have beneficial effects on the immune system[81,87] and have been tested successfully for their immunomodulatory activity.[97-103]

ANTIFERTILITY ACTIVITY
Oral administration of 70% methanolic extract of T. cordifolia stem to male rats at a dose level of 100 mg/d for 60 days did not cause body weight loss but decreased the weight of testes, epididymis, seminal vesicle and ventral prostate in a significant manner

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2924974/

The tea sounds good:
Guduchi tea is very easy to make and does not have any bitterness at all, in fact it is quite soothing to drink this tea. To make the tea, take a fresh stem of guduchi and remove the leaves. For a cup of tea around 5 to 6 slightly bruised guduchi stem around 1.5 inches in length will be enough. Take around 5 pepper corns, 2 tsp of palm candy and 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and crush coarsely in a mortar and pestle. Now add the cut cut guduchui stem and pound it till slightly mashes.
http://www.wildturmeric.net/2015/02...side-effects-of-guduchi-giloy-tippa-tega.html
amrutha%2Bballi%2Bbenefits.jpg

Another essay says:
Tinospora cordifolia supplementation improves the ability of macrophages, an immune system cell, to consume their targets, though this effect is not immunostimulatory. Supplementation can also ward off allergies. One study suggests Tinospora cordifolia is as potent as Spirulina as an anti-allergic supplement.
https://examine.com/supplements/tinospora-cordifolia/

It looks like Neem is good if you have a very serious illness and want to take on the side effects, Aloe Vera is good for skin care, and Guduchi is OK for immune health, and not risky except for the partial fertility issue I mentioned.

I think that this briefly review of a few of their herbs can give you a sense of the benefits and potential risks of Ayurveda. I think once you know the risks for the different treatments and decide what you do and don't want, you will be in good shape.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a straining at gnats problem to me. If a plant exists, it exists. If it has objective medical or health benefits, it has objective medical or health benefits

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think we could benefit from allowing the herbs to be separate from the practice of Ayurveda. I mean, they use ginger. I don't think drinking a cup of ginger tea or having an organic whole grain muffin with ginger in it is going to throw off anyone's Christianity. So let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. These herbs can be used medicinally like any other herb. Just don't get caught up in the philosophical stuff. I too was saved out of the new age, but I'm not going to stop taking Chinese herbs or East Indian herbs when they can benefit my body. However, do try to choose organic herbs whenever possible, as many of the herbs from these countries are heavily processed with chemicals these days when they are not certified organic.

Having said that, if you believe the Lord is guiding you to stay away from these herbs, than by all means do so. He doesn't always do things the same with everyone.

Upvote 0

Jacob estopinal

Dec 24, 2016
Sebastopol
✟15,212.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Im not trying to be rude here or anything but I must speak a little on this, one thing first. I couldnt find my spiritual faith in the section im REQUIRED to fill in. If I did it would be JEDI which believe it or not is a real religion however its based on the practice of spirit science so it being a religion isnt even an agreement of my perception but it is my lifestyle. I must say to my fellow Christain brothers and sisters that Hinduism first of all is a very seperate thing from Ayurveda which I do study myself and I feel so many religions have been conditioned to fear anything which practice outside of thier belief system even if it includes facts. I had to find it funny in myself that someone stated lets seperate the herbs from the Ayurvedic system in order to make ourselves comfortable as Christains to accept this practice. Ive done alot of studies on todays christanity and have found it to be very tied into rightwing politcians and feel there is a constant agenda set out to keep people seperate from understanding where we all came from prior to having religion in the first place. Ome thing I have found is that the corporation Monsanto (a corporation in my eyes playing god and harming our dna structures) was being backed by christain familys as a good thing while to keep my point short I found later christains bashing on a organic medicine company as satanic just because it followed an alchemy practice. I am young and really feel worried for so many people not seeing the manipulation going on around them. Its in plain site most the time yet people chose to look the other way because of a status quo they feel uncomfortable to question. I love all my relations and I see no difference in the god we call so many different names. Everything is connected and has an energetic system and is aware of life just as we all are. We should be concerned that weve been so conditioned to believe one subject so deeply that we are unable to question weather there is an agenda behind it for gaining money while seperating people from one another and creating war through fear. Especially if christian we must realise there are people who have agendas to keep us all seperate from truth. Science isnt without spirit and spirit isnt without religion yet religion continues to fear taking in scientific facts and scientist continue to discredit the spirit which is what keeps us in debate of the truth rather then embracing the truth which if you ask my it is simply love which is god. A beautiful day to all.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think Ayurveda is inherently religious. I don't have a problem using Indian and Chinese medicine, especially because many of the formulas are effective. Chinese and Indian medical theories are really not that different than humor theories that were popular in Europe in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. So they are not easily reconciled with current medical thinking. But I wouldn't say that means they are worthless.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

IMO, if you are basing health related decisions on some interpretation of religion, you are more than likely not going to make good choices, based on the latest evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 29, 2016
USA
✟18,166.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a somewhat personal take on this. Over 3 decades ago I took a course in Transcendental Meditation (TM). At the time, I was going to college, but also had a habit of getting drunk and smoking pot from time to time. My grades were suffering also as a result. I had fallen away from my Christian faith to a large degree. I saw value in spirituality, but was confused about what that meant in my life.

After my course in TM, it took about a year or so but I noticed that it really helped me have a better balance in my life. It did not immediately help me back to having good grades, but it was so significant that I decided that I should become a teacher of TM and went to their newly founded school (MIU) in Fairfield, IA. By this time I had given up all drinking, all drugs and other bad habits. When I was at MIU, I meditated a lot and found more balance in my life. At the time (and to some extent still today), TM was being sold as a scientific technique for deep rest. That is how I took it and it was only over time that I realized that it had deep roots in Hinduism. But the technique itself always worked, unlike anything else in my life (even my previous experiences with Christianity). And so I began to take TM and the "science" behind it seriously. The "science" that was supposed to be the basis for TM was the "Science of Creative Intelligence". It had several principles that governed meditation like "The Highest First", the "Principle of Increasing Charm" and so forth. When I applied those to my life, then I came to the conclusion that the "Highest" in my life and in creation was Jesus, and that He was also the most charming in my life. This all happened over many years because I had to figure this out on my own, as certainly those on either side (the Christian side and those deeply into the TM side) were not making those type of connections. But as odd as it may sound to many others, TM was what the Lord used to bring me back to Himself.

True scientific research on TM by the Harvard cardiologist Herbert Benson and others has shown that what it is on a physiological level is an effective application of the "Relaxation Response". The "Relaxation Response" is something that can be seen throughout many spiritual traditions, including Christian traditions (Dr. Benson himself is Jewish). I never became a TM teacher myself, as the Lord seemed to lead me away from that. However, I do continue to use the relaxation response in my life on a regular basis and it has had many health benefits for me. To your point, the TM movement (e.g., at MIU which has now become MUM) promotes Ayurveda heavily, as is consistent with their Hindu roots.

So I go through this long explanation to say that there could be some very beneficial effects of Ayurveda. I have not delved into the scientific research on it, but I believe that there is some being done on it. So I would look at the scientific research (but even then, there seems to be still an unhealthy skepticism of the scientific community towards things that do not fit a naturalistic [i.e., non-theistic or non-spiritual] perspective). As others have pointed out, there are many things in our culture (another one is our Hindu-Arabic number system) that have not originated explicitly in the Judeo-Christian Scriptures. Although I do believe that the Bible is the highest revelation of God to man, it also makes sense that even those who did not have this revelation in times past were able to figure out profound and helpful things that made their lives better and had some truth in them.

All this is to say that in my opinion, Ayurveda is at least worth investigating. Through prayer and sincerity, I believe that you will find what the Lord would have you to do - "Seek and you will find". I would just say to not be prejudiced by the fact that Ayurveda may have been associated with Hinduism in the past, however. We all have things that we can learn from each other.

Upvote 0

Anastassia geiger

Jan 9, 2018
Stanwood
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ez 47:17
God created all the botanicals to begin with, they are ours for healing and food, just because another culture utilizes these more then us, doesn't mean we can't take advantage of God's goodness and abundance. Religion has nothing to do with natural medicine when you know who ultimately created it all from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ayurveda is very much connected to Hinduism, and the preparation of Ayurvedic herbs involves Hindu prayers. This is one reason to avoid them.

Ayurvedic herbs also have toxic metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury mixed in. This is another reason to avoid them.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ez 47:17
God created all the botanicals to begin with, they are ours for healing and food, just because another culture utilizes these more then us, doesn't mean we can't take advantage of God's goodness and abundance. Religion has nothing to do with natural medicine when you know who ultimately created it all from the beginning.

So True!

I use an ayurvedic toothpaste with herbs (peelu, neem, cinnamon, clove, geranium, rose apple to name a few) that tastes like anise. It has helped improved my dental health. I also use other herbs and plants for health. God created all these things FOR us to use.

Ayurvedic herbs also have toxic metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury mixed in

Do you have a source for this? It's a definitive statement that is not true.

Upvote 0