Is Christianity a Matriarch or a Patriarch Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The Bible Gateway
Search words: "Father"

John 6:40
For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:39-41)

John 6:42
They said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, 'I have come down from heaven'?"
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:41-43)

John 6:44
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:43-45)

John 6:45
It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:44-46)

John 6:46
Not that any one has seen the Father except him who is from God; he has seen the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:45-47)

John 6:49
Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:48-50)

John 6:57
As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:56-58)

John 6:58
This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:57-59)

John 6:65
And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:64-66)

John 7:22
Moses gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man upon the sabbath.
(Whole Chapter: John 7 In context: John 7:21-23)

John 8:18
I bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me."
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:17-19)

John 8:19
They said to him therefore, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father; if you knew me, you would know my Father also."
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:18-20)

John 8:27
They did not understand that he spoke to them of the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:26-28)

John 8:28
So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority but speak thus as the Father taught me.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:27-29)

John 8:38
I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father."
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:37-39)

John 8:39
They answered him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you were Abraham's children, you would do what Abraham did,
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:38-40)

John 8:41
You do what your father did." They said to him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God."
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:40-42)

John 8:42
Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I proceeded and came forth from God; I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:41-43)

John 8:44
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:43-45)

John 8:49
Jesus answered, "I have not a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:48-50)

John 8:53
Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you claim to be?"
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:52-54)

John 8:54
Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is your God.
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:53-55)

John 8:56
Your father Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day; he saw it and was glad."
(Whole Chapter: John 8 In context: John 8:55-57)

John 10:15
as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:14-16)

John 10:17
For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again.
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:16-18)

<< Previous Results | Next Results >>
Passage Lookup

Word Search

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The Bible Gateway
Search words: "Father" Search type: ONE_WORD

John 10:18
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father."
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:17-19)

John 10:25
Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness to me;
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:24-26)

John 10:29
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:28-30)

John 10:30
I and the Father are one."
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:29-31)

John 10:32
Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of these do you stone me?"
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:31-33)

John 10:36
do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:35-37)

John 10:37
If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me;
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:36-38)

John 10:38
but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
(Whole Chapter: John 10 In context: John 10:37-39)

John 11:41
So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, "Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
(Whole Chapter: John 11 In context: John 11:40-42)

John 12:26
If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.
(Whole Chapter: John 12 In context: John 12:25-27)

John 12:27
"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, for this purpose I have come to this hour.
(Whole Chapter: John 12 In context: John 12:26-28)

John 12:28
Father, glorify thy name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again."
(Whole Chapter: John 12 In context: John 12:27-29)

John 12:49
For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak.
(Whole Chapter: John 12 In context: John 12:48-50)

John 12:50
And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has bidden me."
(Whole Chapter: John 12 In context: John 12:49-51)

John 13:1
Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
(Whole Chapter: John 13 In context: John 13:1-2)

John 13:3
Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God,
(Whole Chapter: John 13 In context: John 13:2-4)

John 14:2
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:1-3)

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:5-7)

John 14:7
If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:6-8)

John 14:8
Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied."
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:7-9)

John 14:9
Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:8-10)

John 14:10
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:9-11)

John 14:11
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:10-12)

John 14:12
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:11-13)

John 14:13
Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son;
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:12-14)

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The Bible Gateway

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever,
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:15-17)

John 14:20
In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:19-21)

John 14:21
He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:20-22)

John 14:23
Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:22-24)

John 14:24
He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:23-25)

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:25-27)

John 14:28
You heard me say to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:27-29)

John 14:31
but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go hence.
(Whole Chapter: John 14 In context: John 14:30-32)

John 15:1
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:1-2)

John 15:8
By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:7-9)

John 15:9
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:8-10)

John 15:10
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:9-11)

John 15:15
No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:14-16)

John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:15-17)

John 15:23
He who hates me hates my Father also.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:22-24)

John 15:24
If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:23-25)

John 15:26
But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me;
(Whole Chapter: John 15 In context: John 15:25-27)

John 16:3
And they will do this because they have not known the Father, nor me.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:2-4)

John 16:10
concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more;
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:9-11)

John 16:15
All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:14-16)

John 16:17
Some of his disciples said to one another, "What is this that he says to us, 'A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me'; and, 'because I go to the Father'?"
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:16-18)

John 16:23
In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, he will give it to you in my name.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:22-24)

John 16:25
"I have said this to you in figures; the hour is coming when I shall no longer speak to you in figures but tell you plainly of the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:24-26)

John 16:26
In that day you will ask in my name; and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you;
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:25-27)

John 16:27
for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:26-28)

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The Bible Gateway

John 16:28
I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father."
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:27-29)

John 16:32
The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, every man to his home, and will leave me alone; yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.
(Whole Chapter: John 16 In context: John 16:31-33)

John 17:1
When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify thy Son that the Son may glorify thee,
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:1-2)

John 17:5
and now, Father, glorify thou me in thy own presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was made.
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:4-6)

John 17:11
And now I am no more in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name, which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:10-12)

John 17:21
that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:20-22)

John 17:24
Father, I desire that they also, whom thou hast given me, may be with me where I am, to behold my glory which thou hast given me in thy love for me before the foundation of the world.
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:23-25)

John 17:25
O righteous Father, the world has not known thee, but I have known thee; and these know that thou hast sent me.
(Whole Chapter: John 17 In context: John 17:24-26)

John 18:11
Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?"
(Whole Chapter: John 18 In context: John 18:10-12)

John 18:13
First they led him to Annas; for he was the father-in-law of Ca'iaphas, who was high priest that year.
(Whole Chapter: John 18 In context: John 18:12-14)

John 20:17
Jesus said to her, "Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."
(Whole Chapter: John 20 In context: John 20:16-18)

John 20:21
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you."
(Whole Chapter: John 20 In context: John 20:20-22)

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Etymologically patriarch breaks down into pater-archon, so that patriarchy refers to the rule of the father. Christ came specifically to restore us to a filial relationship with the Father and that His will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Christianity is a patriarchal religion.

Patriarch

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Annabel_Lee
I believe Christianity definitely started out as a Patriarchy. Considering the oppressive era it was started in, it could be nothing else but a Patriarchy

As my mother was a widow at 27, I'm sure she would take offense at someone calling me and my sisters *******s or orphans.

This is just my opinion. I've always believed men needed the priesthood and the headship of churches because their natures are more fallen. In the human race, the male of the species is more prone to evil. They are more viscious, more violent and more apt to murder.
What better way to help them overcome this fallen nature than to give them more control in the religious areas.

Annabel

Patriarch...I agreed that Christianity was a Patriarchy. You don't need to convince me otherwise.

Annabel

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Good Heavens, I hope that you don't think all that was directed at you.

No, it was to help everyone to appreciate the good news that God is our Father, that we are His children in Christ, and that His kingdom is one of Fatherly benevolence, a patriarchy par excellence.

Patriarch

Upvote 0

Bastoune

Jul 14, 2003
New York, NY, USA
✟1,694.00
Faith
Catholic
lambslove said:
A religion is the performance of a set of rituals by which the performer hopes to gain the attention and approval of God.

Wrong.

Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers:

religion [r&#305;'l&#305;d&#658;&#601;n]
noun
1 belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

That's definition #1. Your definition is #6.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bastoune said:
Wrong.

Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers:

religion [r&#305;'l&#305;d&#658;&#601;n]
noun
1 belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

That's definition #1. Your definition is #6.

My dearest Bastoune:

Christ is in our midst! (Where two or three are gathered together.)

Definition 6 is also correct. In fact, within Orthodoxy we are taught that religion is man's attempt to reach God.

Whereas the Church is God's attempt to save man.

Your move!

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bastoune

Jul 14, 2003
New York, NY, USA
✟1,694.00
Faith
Catholic
chanterhanson said:
My dearest Bastoune:

Christ is in our midst! (Where two or three are gathered together.)

Definition 6 is also correct. In fact, within Orthodoxy we are taught that religion is man's attempt to reach God.

Whereas the Church is God's attempt to save man.

Your move!

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

I agree with you. I just meant that the definition Mr. Lambslove was not the end-all, final, unique definition - far from it! :)

The etymology of the word "religion" stems from the 12th Century: Old French from Latin religio "fear of the supernatural, piety", probably from religare to tie up, from re- + ligare "to bind"

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise. (Psalm 111:10)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bastoune said:
I agree with you. I just meant that the definition Mr. Lambslove was not the end-all, final, unique definition - far from it! :)

The etymology of the word "religion" stems from the 12th Century: Old French from Latin religio "fear of the supernatural, piety", probably from religare to tie up, from re- + ligare "to bind"

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise. (Psalm 111:10)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

Very good!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.