Is Christianity a Matriarch or a Patriarch Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Last I heard Christianity, like the Hebrew religion is a patriarch not a matriarch. There are matriarch religions, like witchcraft, that tends to creep it's way into the christian church. Then there are mythological matriarch societys, like the Amazon women you see on TV. Lisbians are of course matriarchs. But Christianity is patriarch Religion, you have monthers and fathers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters. If you have a church with a women in charge, that would be just like a family without a father. When I was growing up, you would call a fatherless child a ******* or a orphan. Of course things are a bit different now a days with all the divorce rate as it is. But that is just a sign of how close we are to the end of the age of grace.

You can be sure when women rule over men, then children will be their oppressors. If women have left their proper station as the fallen angels did, the children will be in rebellion also. Sarah refered to Abraham as her Lord. Of course Sarah is the mother of many. But the promise and the covenant comes though Abraham, not Sarah. Thanks, JohnR7

Romans 4:16
For this reason it is by faith, that it might be in accordance with grace, in order that the promise may be certain to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,

I don't think things have changed much in 2000 years:

They said to him, "Then why did Moses command that the man give the woman a bill of divorce and dismiss (her)?"

He said to them, "Because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. I say to you, whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) and marries another commits adultery."

(His) disciples said to him, "If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry."
What do you think the disciples meant?

Upvote 0
Christianity is first a God-lead religion. After God's role it is lead by men.

Obviously Christianity is a religion. 1) Because if you read the definition of a religion, it is obvious. 2) We are to strive for "pure and undefiled religion" in the sight of God as James 1:23 would have us believe. You can not have "pure and undefiled religion" without having a religion. Go figure. Many people have been lead to believe Christianity is not a religion because they look at the world's view of religion and not God's. Christianity is the one, pure, undefiled religion. True Christianity that is. I am not talking about backsliden heathens that will still claim to be Christians at times.

But to get back to the question. 1 Cor 11:3 tells us that the authority goes from God -> Christ -> Man -> Women.

Elijah

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
A religion is the performance of a set of rituals by which the performer hopes to gain the attention and approval of God.

What rituals do Christians have in common, and who has ever gained God's attention and approval by performing them?

We are justified by faith, not by rituals. Thus we are not techincally a religion.

Upvote 0
The one's which begin with "The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham..." and end with "There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Religion is defined as follows:
Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Christianity definitely fits that defintion, therefore it is a religion. 1 John tells us that the commands of God are not burdensum. Which would mean that we don't follow the commands as the Pharisees did their own laws which they made (not God's law but their own), but we should follow the commandments of God because we love Him. We see this many times in the New Testament. I don't have my Bible with me at the moment so some of my references may be a little off. Just be a Berean and search them out for yourself if you wish. :) In Matthew 15:14, Jesus says basicly if you follow His commandments you are His friend. Therefore we can logicly deduce that if you don't follow His commands you are not His friend. Also in 1 John 3 (I believe verse 14) and other places we see it says if you love me follow my commandments.

Also we know the commandments of God are not burdensum because as 1 Cor 10:13 says, "God will not allow us to be tempted above that which we are able to endure." (EPV - Elijah's Paraphrased Version) So we see that we need not struggle with following His commands, and as (I believe) John wrote, "I write to you that you will not sin." Because of course we know also what God wrote through John in 1 John 3:9 where He says, "Those who practice sin are of the devil."

Many people get mistaken ideas about the Pharisees. They believe that the Pharisees tried to follow the commands of God. If so what would be wrong with trying to do what God tells us to do? Would God give His utmost rebuke to someone who wishes to follow His word with everything they have? You see the Pharisees followed their own traditions. These traditions have many names from the Pharisitical Law to the laws of the hedge to the Talmud and to the name Jesus used the traditions of the elders. As Jesus put it, "Why do you make void the commands of God for the sake of your traditions?" This is a long topic indeed so I will leave it to that. But if you research the topic it is amazing to see how much God hates when people set aside HIS Law for a man-made tradition. Jesus would go out of His way to break their traditions.

But that's another topic another day.

Elijah

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I believe Christianity definitely started out as a Patriarchy. Considering the oppressive era it was started in, it could be nothing else but a Patriarchy

If you have a church with a women in charge, that would be just like a family without a father. When I was growing up, you would call a fatherless child a ******* or a orphan.

As my mother was a widow at 27, I'm sure she would take offense at someone calling me and my sisters *******s or orphans.

This is just my opinion. I've always believed men needed the priesthood and the headship of churches because their natures are more fallen. In the human race, the male of the species is more prone to evil. They are more viscious, more violent and more apt to murder.
What better way to help them overcome this fallen nature than to give them more control in the religious areas.

Annabel

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
But what does the Bible say?

7:30 And when forty years were fulfilled, an angel appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in a flame of fire in a bush.

7:31 And when Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold, there came a voice of the Lord,

7:32 I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob. And Moses trembled, and durst not behold.

Patriarch

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

patriarch

SYLLABICATION: pa·tri·arch
PRONUNCIATION: ptr-ärk
NOUN: 1. A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe. 2. Bible a. One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah. b. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob's 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel. 3. Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria. 4. Roman Catholic Church A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope. 5. Eastern Orthodox Church Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops. 6. Judaism The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 b.c. to a.d. 429. 7. Mormon Church A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings. 8. One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, organization, or tradition. 9. A very old, venerable man; an elder. 10. The oldest member of a group: the patriarch of the herd.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English patriarche, from Old French, from Late Latin patriarcha, from Greek patriarkhs : patri, lineage (from patr, patr-, father; see pter- in Appendix I) + -arkhs, -arch.

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 5 In context: Matthew 5:15-17)

Matthew 5:45
so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 5 In context: Matthew 5:44-46)

Matthew 5:48
You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 5 In context: Matthew 5:47-49)

Matthew 6:1
"Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 6 In context: Matthew 6:1-2)

Matthew 6:4
so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 6 In context: Matthew 6:3-5)

Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
(Whole Chapter: Matthew 6 In context: Matthew 6:5-7)

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
The Bible Gateway
Search words: "Father" Search type: ONE_WORD

John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 1 In context: John 1:13-15)

John 1:18
No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.
(Whole Chapter: John 1 In context: John 1:17-19)

John 2:16
And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; you shall not make my Father's house a house of trade."
(Whole Chapter: John 2 In context: John 2:15-17)

John 3:35
the Father loves the Son, and has given all things into his hand.
(Whole Chapter: John 3 In context: John 3:34-36)

John 4:12
Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, and his sons, and his cattle?"
(Whole Chapter: John 4 In context: John 4:11-13)

John 4:20
Our fathers worshiped on this mountain; and you say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."
(Whole Chapter: John 4 In context: John 4:19-21)

John 4:21
Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.
(Whole Chapter: John 4 In context: John 4:20-22)

John 4:23
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him.
(Whole Chapter: John 4 In context: John 4:22-24)

John 4:53
The father knew that was the hour when Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live"; and he himself believed, and all his household.
(Whole Chapter: John 4 In context: John 4:52-54)

John 5:17
But Jesus answered them, "My Father is working still, and I am working."
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:16-18)

John 5:18
This was why the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but also called God his Father, making himself equal with God.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:17-19)

John 5:19
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever he does, that the Son does likewise.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:18-20)

John 5:20
For the Father loves the Son, and shows him all that he himself is doing; and greater works than these will he show him, that you may marvel.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:19-21)

John 5:21
For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:20-22)

John 5:22
The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son,
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:21-23)

John 5:23
that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:22-24)

John 5:26
For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself,
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:25-27)

John 5:36
But the testimony which I have is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has granted me to accomplish, these very works which I am doing, bear me witness that the Father has sent me.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:35-37)

John 5:37
And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:36-38)

John 5:43
I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:42-44)

John 5:45
Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope.
(Whole Chapter: John 5 In context: John 5:44-46)

John 6:27
Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give to you; for on him has God the Father set his seal."
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:26-28)

John 6:31
Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:30-32)

John 6:32
Jesus then said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:31-33)

John 6:37
All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out.
(Whole Chapter: John 6 In context: John 6:36-38)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by zamar
He gave us God's plan for our lives. He desires that we have a life with Him. It is not religion, it is relationship.

You're quibbling semantics here. Jesus left us his CHURCH, which is the pillar and foundation of truth.

If it were indeed "merely" a relationship, then our socialization with others, especially as evangelists, would not be so important.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.