yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it's very bad.
the believers (martyrs) in russia wrote an open letter to churches in the usa a couple decades ago, telling them not to come back, because the devil music (so-called 'christian rock'(not!))
had messed up their children, broken up their believing families, broken fellowship with God, and made what was supposed to be a 'revival' instead a durge(funeral song).

african brothers when they hear so-called 'christian' rock (NOT!), ask why americans even allow such demon music (it is from, and attacks demons).

closer to 'home' so to speak, david wilkerson struggled with it, thinking for a time to test it, that 'perhaps' some would be okay..... and quickly discovered by God's Grace that it is not okay, it is not edifying for anyone, not even for those who think it is (they are deceived bad).

The reason I'm saying this is because as I was surfing through Christian metal bands on YouTube. I ran into a debate on one of the videos about how some Christians don't want their kids listening to "devil music". And some Christians were fine with it. In my mind i see no problem with it. Want do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
it's very bad.
the believers (martyrs) in russia wrote an open letter to churches in the usa a couple decades ago, telling them not to come back, because the devil music (so-called 'christian rock'(not!))
had messed up their children, broken up their believing families, broken fellowship with God, and made what was supposed to be a 'revival' instead a durge(funeral song).
If this is true, it sounds like the failure was on the parts of the parents and the kids on following Romans 14, not on the music.

african brothers when they hear so-called 'christian' rock (NOT!), ask why americans even allow such demon music (it is from, and attacks demons).
Sounds like they are holding over erroneous beliefs from their pagan experiences. This would be like a former alcoholic who came to Christ but can't have a drink or be around drinking. Such a person wouldn't have been able to go to the feasts that Jesus himself went to, or drank the wine that Jesus drank.

closer to 'home' so to speak, david wilkerson struggled with it, thinking for a time to test it, that 'perhaps' some would be okay..... and quickly discovered by God's Grace that it is not okay, it is not edifying for anyone, not even for those who think it is (they are deceived bad).
I don't know who he is, but my experience with it is it draws me closer to God. And I know there are many other Christians who have been drawn closer to God, or at least been invited to draw closer to God through this music.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've posted this before but can't remember where, so please forgive this if you've already read it in this thread.

I've always believed that music was, in and of itself, created by God and a gift from God. It's neither good nor bad. It's neutral. As humans, we dictate what becomes good or bad. If music is used for an evil purpose, then that use of music can be evil, but the music itself, given by God, is not evil. Just like a gun or any other weapon - it can be used for evil (the taking of a life - any life) or good (protecting a life). It is what we, as humans, choose to do with it that makes it good or bad. This is just my viewpoint, and no, I don't really want to get into any discussion about guns, etc.

And thanks, Role Modlin, for the heads-up about TMM99. Knowing some history about a person's previous behavior is often helpful when trying to figure out what they are currently going on about. It's disconcerting when personal taste becomes blurred into what someone seems to believe is a absolute theological truth (though it makes for some fascinating reading). In the meantime, I think the smartest move is to not feed the troll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've posted this before but can't remember where, so please forgive this if you've already read it in this thread.

I've always believed that music was, in and of itself, created by God and a gift from God. It's neither good nor bad. It's neutral. As humans, we dictate what becomes good or bad. If music is used for an evil purpose, then that use of music can be evil, but the music itself, given by God, is not evil. Just like a gun or any other weapon - it can be used for evil (the taking of a life - any life) or good (protecting a life). It is what we, as humans, choose to do with it that makes it good or bad. This is just my viewpoint, and no, I don't really want to get into any discussion about guns, etc.

And thanks, Role Modlin, for the heads-up about TMM99. Knowing some history about a person's previous behavior is often helpful when trying to figure out what they are currently going on about. It's disconcerting when personal taste becomes blurred into what someone seems to believe is a absolute theological truth (though it makes for some fascinating reading). In the meantime, I think the smartest move is to not feed the troll.
I agree with you totally. Good points.

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
it's very bad.

I respectfully disagree with you on this. This is so anecdotal the old 80s African voodoo if David Wilkenson saw demons in a fog machine then its gotta be true thingy. Im sorry if this upsets you but I believe it gives satan far more power than he deserves and even has. And it smacks of strawman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am tired and going to bed and all you want to do is push your death metal (nice name) on to me. You won't convert me, but, in time I may just convert you to the Messiah ;)

I'll take a look tomorrow, it's late here... o_O

This has got to be the most callous arrogant thing ive ever read in my life. Good luck with this one I am sure he will win you all over

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If this is true, it sounds like the failure was on the parts of the parents and the kids on following Romans 14, not on the music.

Sounds like they are holding over erroneous beliefs from their pagan experiences. This would be like a former alcoholic who came to Christ but can't have a drink or be around drinking. Such a person wouldn't have been able to go to the feasts that Jesus himself went to, or drank the wine that Jesus drank.

I don't know who he is, but my experience with it is it draws me closer to God. And I know there are many other Christians who have been drawn closer to God, or at least been invited to draw closer to God through this music.

It would kinda be like this. Lets say my wife cheats on me with lets say her Pagan boss that runs a Kraft company out here and then marries him. Does Kraft get accused of being satanic so therefore we are not to buy Kraft products anymore?. It just goes and goes and goes in circles no irrefutable evidence just opinion based on someones feelings

Reactions: holyrokker
Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would kinda be like this. Lets say my wife cheats on me with lets say her Pagan boss that runs a Kraft company out here and then marries him. Does Kraft get accused of being satanic so therefore we are not to buy Kraft products anymore?. It just goes and goes and goes in circles no irrefutable evidence just opinion based on someones feelings
Kraft is Satanic? Oh No!! I like their American cheese slices on my ham sandwiches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

kristina411

I'm new here and not the best with eloquent writing but since this topic very greatly involves me as of recently and I have been on both sides of the fence, I will add my opinion for anyone who cares to read it.
About two months ago my husband was listening to regular heavy metal frequently. His taste changed from normal rock/grunge to heavy metal. I also noticed he was trying to bail on church, he was picking fights with me, and worst of all he began to lie to me about where he was going. I don't blame this on the music, I blame it on my husband. I can not totally rule out the music feeding into it however. My husband is a musician and began to write heavy metal songs. We were fighting almost every day so the songs were about his anger toward me. I confronted him on my concerns about his music. I told him that I noticed the fighting started when he started listening to the music and like it or not, the words we constantly hear all day will effect your actions. He said the lyrics were just words... He liked the music for the instruments. Next day he tells me he understands, he's very excited to start a Christian heavy metal band. He started searching Christian heavy metal bands right away.
I told him I thought it was much better than the typical heavy metal but I was unsure. Heavy metal represents anger, rage, and the bible teaches calm, peace, stillness. I still hoped he would settle for hard rock. I da heavy metal Christian music as nothing more than a means for the band to stand out. But at least the words were more positive.
So a month ago I still feel this way when my husband gets excited about a concert of four heavy metal Christian bands nearby, one of them my husband knows the singer. He's psyched and I can barely hold back my disappointment. I did not want to go. At all. Day comes and we go out there. Its a house party, not a concert. We pay the money and get inside. I'm already uneasy thinking "heavy metal and house party, ill be lucky if I make it out alive. Please God keep me safe!"
We go inside and there are a bunch of teenagers, most with facial piercings and colored hair. About 50 people, about 15 of them dressed like I did, just jeans and a T shirt type clothing. But what was more, every teenager, their hands empty. No alcohol. Saturday night at a house party with heavy metal and they are not drinking. Unsupervised, septum piercings and all and there are no drugs. Everyone laughing. Men hugging. Girls talking about school and making sure to be home on time. All innocent. I was happy to see this but it was so much more.
The music began and the singer began the screams. A kid no more than 16 stood in the front. Dark hair hanging over his eyes, hunchbacked, his feet bending inward. This kid screamed psychopath. Looking at him any normal person would send him through a metal detector before letting him into a school. But when the music began he lit up. He stayed focused, sang every word, prayed, smiled, danced. Everything about him was everything I was taught could never exist in someone like him.
There was some of the fist punch dancing or whatever it was, and everyone respectfully kept away from those who did not participate. When someone brought alcohol into the house the whole ambiance changed. No one wanted it there. It was unwelcome. The members of the metal band showed more passion than any worship band I have ever seen on a Sunday in church (and I've been to some wild church's in the south). They took breaks to pray. They took breaks to give thanks, they were genuine.
One band was borderline thrash and you could feel the lack of sincerity and it wasn't as accepted as the other three. You could feel it. It brought me to tears a couple times that night. My mind was blown, I had never in my life been so wrong. It was earth shattering for me.
The next week another show about 3 hours away, one of the bands was the same, the other band Sleepwave (lead singer is from a well known Christian metal band). It was at a bar. Out of the 70 or so people who spent 4 hours in the bar, all of age, less than 15 got even one drink at the bar. There was crowd surfing, there was that dancing again. No fights, no drama, no one acting immorally. There were people hugging, praying, laughing, singing, dancing, praising God.
I will likely never have a Christian metal band on my playlist, but they have earned to much of my respect. The outlet that is given, especially to the younger generation, the people who typically fall away from the church... Its beautiful. Its moving. Its incredible and in no way do I any longer believe it is bad in any way.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And btw, since the change from heavy metal to "white metal"(Christian), my husband stopped hiding things, stopped picking fights, we get along well again. We have a beautiful marriage again.

oh boy. I need to adress a few things. Firs toff "white" metal doesn't exist, its an idiotic name people who know nothing about metal try to tag on to positive message or christian metal. Desptite the fact that the vast majority of metalish music is positive in nature. Ive hear very few songs that promoted violince, or even anger. At most they were expressions of experinces in that persons life they were trying to tell. "Black" metal is a very specific genre of metal. Heavy metal, metalcore, deathmetal and black metal are all VERY difrent subgenre's of metal. White metal is nothing but a painfully embaressing attempt by some people who know nothing about metal to describe christian metal.If its ever used in the scene its used as a joke to put down people who have that view. Metal in and of itself is neutral.

Heavy metal represents anger, rage,
No, its doesn't. It expresses ANY strong emotion. That can be anything from happiness, holiness, joy, to sadness, despair, and yes anger. Its not just anger. Its not even mostly anger. I can't think of but one "angry" song, and even its just kinda "meh" on the angry level, Ive heard more angry pop songs. Completely get rid of the idea that metal represents anger rage and other bad emotions. It can, but for the most part its simply a stronger expression of ALL emotions. I'll put some examples in the bottom.

bible teaches calm, peace, stillness.
It teaches them in moderation, though I don't think it ever really teaches stillness at all. We are to be working towards the glory of god at all times. Calm is taught, but I can tell you metal is less calm than a football game, I find it much more calm. So if your going to advocate metal being bad because its not calm then you need to not watch tv at all, because I can't think of a single show that is less calm than the average metal music video, we also can't listen to anything but basically chant music. I also expect you don't do anything that raises your blood pressure, so no working out either, no rooting for football teams, no getting excited at all.

I da heavy metal Christian music as nothing more than a means for the band to stand out.
I'm going to assume the word "Da" somehow equals "think". It simply is not. yes some bands do that, but actually one of my favorite preaches (mattie montgomery) is the vocalist in a metal band and Ive seen them live, they reach people and the spirit of god shows up when he speaks. Its not a marketing technique for most christain metal bands ,if anything it hurts them. there is a market for christian alternative music because people want stuff they can play in churchs and stuff, metal, rap, and pretty much any other genre of music you can think of however being a christian band hurts you because people don't want to get preached at , they want to hear music. Its sad, but true.

"heavy metal and house party, ill be lucky if I make it out alive. Please God keep me safe!"
Please get ride of this gross bias. most of the people who are adults and out of college are going to be anything from janitors to doctors. I can think of 2 bands of the top of my head where prior to touring the vocalist was a school teach (Wolves at the gate's clean vocalist taught history, the agonist old vocalist taught kindergarten or elementary school art, I can't remember). I can think of 2 bands where the instrumentalist got degree's in music (arch enemy's guitarist and all that remains guitarist). Metal as a whole does not appeal to dumb people. It fundamentally appeals to musicians. Drums, heck, if you know a drummer ask him how hard metal is, he will tell you it and jazz are the 2 hardest styles of drumming. Your much safer in a metal concert than most other concerts. Most of the people who have the "metal" look at a concert don't look remotely like that on a day to day basis unless they are actually involved in the industry, they dress in their favorite band t-shirts and stuff for concerts because most can't wear them on a day to day basis in a professional workplace.

There was some of the fist punch dancing or whatever it was, and everyone respectfully kept away from those who did not participate
hardcore dancing, looks absolutely idiotic, buts fun to do it if the crowd is good, though there is always that ONE GUY who doesn't know to get away from the mosh pit and clocks you in the side of the head. But most of the time you can tell he didn't mean to and its all good. They are kinda joke in the scene, but hey, its all good fun and you want to move to the music.

The members of the metal band showed more passion than any worship band I have ever seen on a Sunday in church (and I've been to some wild church's in the south). They took breaks to pray. They took breaks to give thanks, they were genuine.
Yep ,no matter if christian or not, its hard not to get into the music because its generally so passionate. Its what draws people to it. its real, most of the lyrics have to do with struggles in life. You made some remarks about your husbands behavior after starting to listen to metal, my guess is you have it backwords, he was dealing with some stuff at the time and metal was the outlet he used to help cope, the behavior was because of the root problem and metal helped him deal with it.

One band was borderline thrash and you could feel the lack of sincerity and it wasn't as accepted as the other three. You could feel it. It brought me to tears a couple times that night
Thrash is harder to get into, but it doesn't make it less sincere, its just harder to get into it because of the harsh rhythms.

Honestly, most metalheads are really laid back, and every vocalist Ive ever meet has been extremely soft spoken. Its actually halarious, you would expect the guy screaming on stage to have this deep gritty voice, many have the sterotypical "gay" voice (really high pitched) or they just have a soft voice. Not many are loud off stage. Many people don't believe me when they find out I'm a metal head, and straight up don't believe me when I say I'm a vocalist. Because it just doesn't jell with the personality they think that type of person should have. Plus, many metal videos are hilarious.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm glad you had good experiences, unfortunately it really only takes one bad experience. My first metal show was great for me, but my dad wasn't happy. He took me and my brother. The headliner had christian members but wasn't "christian", and there was alcohol everywhere, people just throwing it up in the air bands chugging it on stage. Obviously my dad never took me to another show. That was the outline though, funny thing is one of the most power worship services I was ever in was in the same venue but "for today" was headlining.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to leave with this. This is an organization started by the frontman of august burns red (the song "redemption"). It has the support of many bands in the scene (including Korn I believe). It exist to help people hurting in the music scene and let them know they arn't alone. The amount of support its getting from bands should show you the heart of many of the bands in the scene, christian or not. This IS a christian organization, but its getting support from lots of bands that arn't. It does interviews with band members talking about what they went through as they were younger, abuse, sexual abuse, bullying, cutting, drugs,inappropriate content, ect. To help people struggling, to let them know they arn't alone. They talk to people at festivals and reach out. Metal and the scene has a LOT of hurting people, the musics rawness draws people who are hurting, they need a way to cope, and metal can help with that. It was born out of the metal/hardcore scene. I highly suggest you check it out if you want to know the heart of many bands in the scene.

HeartSupport | Hold Fast. We Believe In You.

MUSIC( I know you won't listen to all of these, but its there to make a point)

These next 2 videos are just funny videos, first isn't a christian band the second is. If you don't laugh at these you don't have a soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fNciuYKXDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lEeYqWGvs

The band where the (clean) vocalist was a history teacher (christian band)(also the best worship music ever, just saying)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ZlDC5qETE

Relief by Wolves At the Gate Lyrics - YouTube

The band where the vocalist was a kindergarten teacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdT7M4f2L9A

Best worship song Ive ever heard/sung (obviously christian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLI41hJ8MxM

The preacher I told you about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctWpbm8a6k

His band(obviously christian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYjC9JrgbY

Good example of a concert, Ive seen these guys and thats a pretty good example of the concert. Everyone feels like brothers a good metal show, everyone is welcome. (christian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoUqgFWWUn0

These guys just look happy, that look angry to you?(christian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdxdnVqn08E

Good worship music(obviously christain)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2giDLtZ_Y

a message that can't really be told in another genre (lyrics in description)(same band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxHcnT1K44

Uplifting song by a secular band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=601PAbPZQ2w

Very real song by the same band, easy to relate to for most people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTFGCxxRTY8

A song thats pretty much the reason most people listen to and perform metal. All the people in the video are various artist in the metal. Everything from what these guys are doing thats mostly singing, to the last band i Posted, to some REALLY heavy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn-6eOxnEMI

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

Unfortunately you misread my post entirely. I don't have the time to read your entire post since it is so long but there was clearly some misunderstanding. And btw as you can see I put "white metal" in quotations I believe, because simply that is what some people call it. You may not agree with the term but it is what it is. Also the word "da" was auto corrected from "saw", as in past tense. And the only other part I will remark on as I did not have the opportunity to read your entire post, the bible does preach stillness when in relation to feelings, which was my point as I mentioned the rage and anger. We should be slow to anger. And the ever popular verse "be still and know that I am God."
My post represented both sides, the side I was on before I experienced anything personally, and the extreme change in my opinion once the show was over.
And btw my husband admits that the music he was listening to before helped to fuel his fire for me. Because someone says "the majority is positive", does not make it true. As a matter of fact there are some genres that are aimed at quite the opposite and are very negative as their purpose. I did not specify which type of metal my husband was listening to, however I did say that he was writing songs, about his anger toward me. So clearly the message in his other songs were not so positive as well. He also admits to feeling badly for listening to his music because of the words when before, as I said, his excuse was that "they are only words" meaning of course that the words were not positive.
If I have time to continue to read your post I will, I may not however because it is rather long and I believe an argument is being picked over something pointless as I once very much disliked Christian metal (which is what I called it every time I mentioned it but once) and my post was only to discuss my transition into liking it. And I did admit in my post that the crowd and the musicians were in face very much calm, not angry, and impressive with their behavior.
I thank you for your time, I just do not believe you understood my post. And I do run, I run every day so I'm not sure as to what exercise or increase in blood.pressure have to do with anything? When referencing calm and still it was clearly to explain the anger displayed in certain types of music and not to say we should walk the earth like robots without showing any emotion
Oh and my husband and I are both vocalists and drummers. My husband recently moved into vocals and I recently into drums. Metal and jazz are the most difficult for sure and I can really appreciate the talent of the instruments. Once I started learning double bass I wanted to give up on the drums. And metal bands just blast away. Its hard. But I'm a vocalist at heart and I enjoy melodies. I listen to metal with melodies and have a special playlist for just that (Christian metal of course) but metal full of just screams is just not my preference as I enjoy good melodies the most. Trust me, my husband has tried to change my mind. I will admit its talented and I like what Christian metal does and stands for (as I said in my first post) but its just not my style and I am entitled to it. As a musician I will always have a fantastic time at a metal show (given the people are what they have been at these Christian metal shows) but my preference is in grunge/alternative as I prefer the vocals there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately you misread my post entirely. I don't have the time to read your entire post since it is so long but there was clearly some misunderstanding. And btw as you can see I put "white metal" in quotations I believe, because simply that is what some people call it. You may not agree with the term but it is what it is. Also the word "da" was auto corrected from "saw", as in past tense. And the only other part I will remark on as I did not have the opportunity to read your entire post, the bible does preach stillness when in relation to feelings, which was my point as I mentioned the rage and anger. We should be slow to anger. And the ever popular verse "be still and know that I am God."
My post represented both sides, the side I was on before I experienced anything personally, and the extreme change in my opinion once the show was over.
And btw my husband admits that the music he was listening to before helped to fuel his fire for me. Because someone says "the majority is positive", does not make it true. As a matter of fact there are some genres that are aimed at quite the opposite and are very negative as their purpose. I did not specify which type of metal my husband was listening to, however I did say that he was writing songs, about his anger toward me. So clearly the message in his other songs were not so positive as well. He also admits to feeling badly for listening to his music because of the words when before, as I said, his excuse was that "they are only words" meaning of course that the words were not positive.
If I have time to continue to read your post I will, I may not however because it is rather long and I believe an argument is being picked over something pointless as I once very much disliked Christian metal (which is what I called it every time I mentioned it but once) and my post was only to discuss my transition into liking it. And I did admit in my post that the crowd and the musicians were in face very much calm, not angry, and impressive with their behavior.
I thank you for your time, I just do not believe you understood my post. And I do run, I run every day so I'm not sure as to what exercise or increase in blood.pressure have to do with anything? When referencing calm and still it was clearly to explain the anger displayed in certain types of music and not to say we should walk the earth like robots without showing any emotion
Oh and my husband and I are both vocalists and drummers. My husband recently moved into vocals and I recently into drums. Metal and jazz are the most difficult for sure and I can really appreciate the talent of the instruments. Once I started learning double bass I wanted to give up on the drums. And metal bands just blast away. Its hard. But I'm a vocalist at heart and I enjoy melodies. I listen to metal with melodies and have a special playlist for just that (Christian metal of course) but metal full of just screams is just not my preference as I enjoy good melodies the most. Trust me, my husband has tried to change my mind. I will admit its talented and I like what Christian metal does and stands for (as I said in my first post) but its just not my style and I am entitled to it. As a musician I will always have a fantastic time at a metal show (given the people are what they have been at these Christian metal shows) but my preference is in grunge/alternative as I prefer the vocals there.
H; my wife and I have that verse "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46.10) displayed in our house.

I think the lyrics count for a lot; the style of music is more subjective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We go inside and there are a bunch of teenagers, most with facial piercings and colored hair. ...Unsupervised, septum piercings and all ..

kristina411:

Piercings are very common and pretty subjective. (I guess you have at least ears?)

If you don't know Disciple's 'Battle Lines', it's quality hard rock with Biblical lyrics.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
But I'm a vocalist at heart and I enjoy melodies. I listen to metal with melodies and have a special playlist for just that (Christian metal of course) but metal full of just screams is just not my preference as I enjoy good melodies the most. Trust me, my husband has tried to change my mind. I will admit its talented and I like what Christian metal does and stands for (as I said in my first post) but its just not my style and I am entitled to it. As a musician I will always have a fantastic time at a metal show (given the people are what they have been at these Christian metal shows) but my preference is in grunge/alternative as I prefer the vocals there.

There's more to metal vocals than just screaming as there are plenty of bands who don't scream at all. In fact I get a little puzzled when people try to demonstrate examples of metal using bands who scream as that's something that's likely to be a turn-off.

As an example, here are some who sing rather than scream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWc9KOTkB4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNK604df6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glye0PJQ4-M

HB - The Jesus Metal Explosion - Official - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have an issue with Christian metal, because as with pretty much every other genre of music out there, my line of thought is that the melody itself doesn't make a song evil or good, but that the lyrics are what define the music as Christian or secular. Basically, if you pay close attention to the lyrics and they are talking about biblical themes or things that glorify God, feel free to listen away. However, if the words contradict the word of God, then I wouldn't listen to that particular song. For example, many of the hymns we sing in churches today were written with melodies that were lifted from old drinking songs, but the lyrics still glorified God and drew the listener closer to Him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't have an issue with Christian metal, because as with pretty much every other genre of music out there, my line of thought is that the melody itself doesn't make a song evil or good, but that the lyrics are what define the music as Christian or secular. Basically, if you pay close attention to the lyrics and they are talking about biblical themes or things that glorify God, feel free to listen away. However, if the words contradict the word of God, then I wouldn't listen to that particular song. For example, many of the hymns we sing in churches today were written with melodies that were lifted from old drinking songs, but the lyrics still glorified God and drew the listener closer to Him.

SistrNChrist:

You've obviously looked into the history of music quite a bit, and seem to be a woman that can enjoy hard rock and metal with overtly Christian lyrics.

Not all Christian metal and hard rock is necessarily suitable for local church use, but if it has God-honoring lyrics it can be edifying.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I posted this in the secular music forum in regards to secular heavy metal being the "devil's music." I think it applies to this thread as well:

Ugh, I grew up with people telling me about the evils of rock, hard rock, and heavy metal. In my estimation, 99% of it comes from misunderstanding and, hence, fear. Very very very few metal bands are truly Satanic. Some bands to have what sounds like anti-Christian lyrics and an anti-religious outlook, but you really have to dig deep to get to the true meaning of a lot of these songs and a lot of songs can be interpreted in many different ways (which is the intent of most artists). Many of the themes that are taken as anti-Christian reflect the lead singers own struggles with faith and spirituality. Lastly, some artists are telling a story or trying to shock. It always surprises people when they learn that the lead singer of Slayer, Tom Araya, is a devout and practicing Roman Catholic. Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society is also a devout and practicing Catholic. He often attends Mass while on tour. Ozzy Osbourne and a few members of Black Sabbath are Anglicans. The list could go on and on.

In my estimation, if your faith is so weak and fragile that a heavy metal musician makes you outraged, then your faith is not strong to begin with.

Upvote 0