is Christ coming soon or is he coming quickly?

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The last chapter of Revelation Christ repeats "Behold I am coming soon" or... if you have a pile of other translations it could be "Behold I am coming quickly", translations actually seem split on the word. So which is it? soon or quickly? What is the context of this word? It's an adverb so it describes the manner of the coming but is it related to the duration or the readiness of Christ? Does it really have a significant impact on the text if translated as one or the other?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The last chapter of Revelation Christ repeats "Behold I am coming soon" or... if you have a pile of other translations it could be "Behold I am coming quickly", translations actually seem split on the word. So which is it? soon or quickly? What is the context of this word? It's an adverb so it describes the manner of the coming but is it related to the duration or the readiness of Christ? Does it really have a significant impact on the text if translated as one or the other?
Yes! God willing.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are 2 different greek words, one for "swiftness<5034>" [Revelation 1:1 and 22:6] and one for "nigh at hand<1451>" [Revelation 1:3 and 22:10].

How do other view this?

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

"THE TIME IS NIGH AT HAND" AND "COMING IN SWIFTNESS" REVELATION PROPHECY

5034. tachos from the same as 5036;
a brief space (of time), i.e.
(with 1722 prefixed) in haste:--+ quickly, + shortly, + speedily.

============================================

5035. tachu takh-oo' neuter singular of 5036 (as adverb);
shortly, i.e. without delay, soon, or (by surprise) suddenly, or (by implication, of ease) readily:--lightly, quickly.
G5035 ταχύ (tachy),occurs 13 times in 13

Rev 2:
5 “Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.
16 “Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
Rev 3:11
“Behold,[fn] I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.
Rev 22:
7 “Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me,......
20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!
=======================================
Revelation Chapter 1 Verses
My translation of Revelation

tachos from the same as 5036;
a brief space (of time), i.e.
(with 1722 prefixed) in haste:--+ quickly, + shortly, + speedily.

Revelation 1:1
An-un-covering-revealing of Jesus Christ, which gives to Him, the GOD, to show to the bond-servants of Him,
which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.

Revelation 22:6

And said to me: "These, the Words Faithful and True.
And Lord, the GOD of the spirits of the holy Prophets, commissions the messenger of Him to show to the bond-servents of Him
=============================================
Strong's Greek: 1451. ἐγγύς (eggus) -- near (in place or time)
1451. eggus
from a primary verb agcho (to squeeze or throttle; akin to the base of 43);
near (literally or figuratively, of place or time):--from , at hand, near, nigh (at hand, unto), ready.

Revelation 1:3
Blessed/happy the one reading, and the ones hearing, the Words of the Prophecy, and the keepings in it having been Written/gegrammena <1125> (5772),
for the Time is NIGH AT HAND/egguV <1451>.

Revelation 22:10

And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of this Scroll,
For the Time Is NIGH AT HAND/egguV <1451>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It comes from the Greek word Tachos (where we get the word Tachometer from) and means Speedily or in haste, not soon. When he comes Jesus will come in a FLASH, Jesus doesn't know when the Father will send him per se, just the season like us as in we are now in that season, summer is nigh. Jesus can do that, Amen.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Greek. Therefore ,you will have to study Greek, in order to get a truer meaning.
For example,when Paul condems witchcraft ,he was not talking about women flying on brooms and black cats .He was talking about substances that will alter one's thinking and one's judgment,such as drugs.
The Greek word for witchcraft is "pharmakeia". Does that word looks familiar? That is where we get the word "Pharmacy" from.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It comes from the Greek word Tachos (where we get the word Tachometer from) and means Speedily or in haste, not soon. When he comes Jesus will come in a FLASH, Jesus doesn't know when the Father will send him per se, just the season like us as in we are now in that season, summer is nigh. Jesus can do that, Amen.
So tachos means speed.Thanks for the information ,I learned something today!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Greek. Therefore ,you will have to study Greek, in order to get a truer meaning.
For example,when Paul condems witchcraft ,he was not talking about women flying on brooms and black cats .He was talking about substances that will alter one's thinking and one's judgment,such as drugs.
The Greek word for witchcraft is "pharmakeia". Does that word looks familiar? That is where we get the word "Pharmacy" from.
Great post and info!

The NT word for "Pharisee" is also derived from that word.
[Egypt is shown in Revelation]
Rev 11:8
and their dead bodies are upon the broad-place of the great city (that is called spiritually Sodom, and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified,)

The greek form of the word #5330 is used for "Pharaoh" as also the "Pharisee"

Romans 9:17
for the Writing saith to Pharaoh<Phar-ao<5328> --.............

Matthew 12:14
And the Pharisees<Pharisaios<5330> having gone forth, held a consultation against him, how they might destroy Him

Matthew 23:33
'Serpents! brood of vipers!
how may ye escape from the judgment of the gehenna?

Revelation 9:21
And not they reform out of the murders of them, nor out from their sorceries/ pharmakeia <5331> ,...........

5330. Pharisaios of Hebrew origin
(c a separatist, i.e. exclusively religious; a Pharisean, i.e. Jewish sectary:--Pharisee.
5331. pharmakeia far-mak-i'-ah from 5332;
medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):--sorcery, witchcraft.
5328. Pharao far-ah-o' of foreign origin (6547);
Pharao (i.e. Pharoh), an Egyptian king:--Pharaoh.
2447. ios ee-os' perhaps from eimi (to go) or hiemi (to send);
rust (as if emitted by metals); also venom (as emitted by serpents):--poison, rust. AV - poison 2, rust 1; 3

Exodus 7:11
And Pharaoh however is calling to wise-men and to ones making enchantments/03784 kashaph and they are doing even they sacred scribes of Egypt in occultisms of them so.

Best viewed full screen.............great special affects.....

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So tachos means speed.Thanks for the information ,I learned something today!

The reason I already knew that word was the Rev. 1:1 verse in which many people try to use the word Tachos as shortly in order say everything in Revelation must be past tense, etc. etc. or that Jesus was incorrect when he stated these things must come to pass "SHORTLY". Well, Jesus didn't really say shortly, that was a bad translation by the KJV translators.

Rev. 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Reuelation 1:1 ¶ The Reuelation 602 of Iesus 2424 Christ, 5547 which 3739 God 2316 gaue 1325 z5656 vnto him, 846 to shewe 1166 z5658 vnto his y846 x848 seruants 1401 things which 3739 must 1163 z5748 shortly 1722 5034 come to passe; 1096 z5635 and 2532 he sent 649 z5660 and signified 4591 z5656 [it] by 1223 his y846 x848 Angel 32 vnto his y846 x848 seruant 1401 Iohn, 2491

Notice the TWO NUMBERS behind shortly ?

One is the Greek word EN (1722) which = a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state),..........Since Jesus doesn't know when the Father will send him he is saying at a FIXED POINT IN TIME, (EN) in the future.............I will come (TACHOS) speedily/quickly !!

The other Greek word is Tachos (5034) which = Speedily, in haste or quickly.

So the translation being correct is very important to our eschatology in general.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And Lord, the GOD of the spirits of the holy Prophets, commissions the messenger of Him to show to the bond-servents of Him
yes but what about Rev 22:7?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
so you think the adverb "tachy" describes the duration of the coming, not the readiness of the coming?

Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
so you think the adverb "tachy" describes the duration of the coming, not the readiness of the coming?
Well, not the duration per se, it could be 30 seconds a minute or a second, but speedily or in haste is the correct description, not soon. So in essence you are correct, but not to the nth degree.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, not the duration per se, it could be 30 seconds a minute or a second, but speedily or in haste is the correct description, not soon. So in essence you are correct, but not to the nth degree.
So are you referring to the readiness then? The angel says these things (revelations) will take place in quickness, then the line comes "behold I am coming [quickly]" (22:6,7) Should we see this as after the aforementioned "things" have taken place Jesus comes without delay? Or does everything come in speed, since of course one of the revelations the angel speaks about is Jesus coming down in a cloud so it would be included in the "things"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittleLambofJesus said:
yes but what about Rev 22:7?
[be sure to check out my thread on this topic...]

"THE TIME IS NIGH AT HAND" AND "COMING IN SWIFTNESS" REVELATION PROPHECY

Just look at a greek concordance and interlinear......
Best way to learn............
This is "swifly/speedily/quickly", like hoses, men running.........

ταχὺ — 6x
ταχύ — 6x
Revelation 22:7 ταχύ

2064 [e]
erchomai
ἔρχομαι
I am coming
V-PIM/P-1S

5035 [e]
tachy
ταχύ .
quickly