Is Chick-fil-A right or wrong?

Chick-fil-A CEO is:

• A good Christian man with good Christian principles.

• A good Christian man with bad Christian principles.

• A bad Christian man with no principles.

• Just another homophobe.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
* article from:Star Parker: Is it un-American to be a Christian? » Knoxville News Sentinel Mobile
The vile attacks on the firm and its owners, the Cathy family, should make clear, finally, that the "gay rights" movement is not about refining and advancing American freedom, but about rewriting American values and advancing, not freedom, but the homosexual political agenda.

Recently Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke at a flag raising ceremony in Alexandria, Egypt, noting the re-opening of the American consulate there. Given the current political climate in Egypt, the Secretary of State felt behooved in her remarks to highlight principles of freedom as understood by Americans.

"... to us, real democracy means that every citizen has the right to live, work and worship as they choose, whether they are man or woman, Muslim or Christian, or from any other background."

Perhaps Clinton should be lecturing Americans instead of Egyptians.

Can it really be that in America today a businessman can be labeled a bigot, boycotted and cut off by suppliers because of the crime of being a Christian?

When Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy made his now famous incendiary admission that "we are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit," he was not pontificating. He was responding to a question in an interview done in a paper I expect is not read by many homosexuals -- the Baptist Press.

Never mind. It was sufficient provocation that Cathy publicly admitted that the Bible defines his understanding of marriage -- the unique bond of man and woman -- which also happens to be the standard definition in dictionaries on the shelves of every American home and library.

"Chick-fil-A's values are not Chicago's values," said Chicago Mayor, and former chief of staff to President Barack Obama, Rahm Emanuel. Emanuel defended Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno's threat to deny Chick-fil-A permitting in Chicago because its owner supports traditional marriage and family.

But UCLA law professor and constitutional scholar Eugene Volokh points out in his blog that "denying a private business permits because of such speech by its owner is a blatant First Amendment violation."

The Constitution? The First Amendment? Religious liberty? Do these apply to Christians?

Volokh goes on to point out that a permit might be denied "if Chick-fil-A actually discriminated in their serving or hiring decisions in Chicago in a way forbidden by Chicago or Illinois law. But the stories give no evidence of such actions ..."

The fact that there is no evidence that Chick-fil-A discriminates in its business practices did not deter Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank from writing that Dan Cathy's support of traditional marriage "implied that gay people (not to mention divorced people) had no business eating at Chick-fil-A."

One court decision after another over the last 50 years has, step by step, purged any hint of religion and traditional values from our schools and public spaces.

Has it made this a fairer, better, freer nation? If you think breakdown of family,40 percent out-of-wedlock births, a million abortions a year, $16 trillion in national debt, and government dependence is better and freer, yes.

Of course, society must embrace civility, respect and tolerance. But this doesn't mean that the sexual proclivities of some should provide license to rewrite our language and the traditions that define our faith and virtue.

Hopefully many will respond to Mike Huckabee's appeal to patronize Chick-fil-A on Aug. 1 as a display of support for traditional Christian values and as a reminder that our Constitution protects religious freedom.

Have we really gotten to the point where being a Christian is considered un-American?
*the previous story taken from:
Star Parker: Is it un-American to be a Christian? » Knoxville News Sentinel Mobile

Last edited:

FishermanDoug

God's Fisherman
Nov 21, 2011
Winter Springs - Florida
Visit site
✟7,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Chick-Fil-A is absolutely right, both Biblically and Constitutionally, in their freedom of speech to oppose same-sex marriage. In my point of view, the media firestorm and the opposition from city mayors and such is a direct attack against not only the first amendment right, and Christianity itself.

The homosexual/liberal community has every right to not eat there, but for government officials to make statements that Chick-Fil-A better not expand in their cities is wrong!

Hold on tight brothers and sisters because Christian persecution in this nation is about to get a whole lot worse.

Upvote 0

Mairie

Jul 1, 2012
✟7,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't vote in your poll because I think the issue is a lot more nuanced than just a matter of the guy being a good Christian with all the right answers.

The whole uproar is pretty ridiculous, and the fact that Mike Huckabee has turned it into an "us vs. them" thing is not at all how we should be living out the Gospel.

The bigger issue to me is hearing about how Chick-fil-a donates money to anti-gay organizations. I'd like to know the truth in that and exactly what those organizations do before I spend any money at Chick-fil-a (which I probably wouldn't do anyway, as I'm a semi-vegetarian!)

I also think if American Christians got a taste (no pun intended) of the real persecution that Christians endure throughout the world, no one would be complaining about the "persecution" of a chicken sandwich shop.

Last thought: Of course being a Christian is un-American, that goes without saying. America is not a Christian nation, and the "American dream" is not even close to the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Chick-Fil-A is absolutely right, both Biblically and Constitutionally, in their freedom of speech to oppose same-sex marriage. In my point of view, the media firestorm and the opposition from city mayors and such is a direct attack against not only the first amendment right, and Christianity itself.

The homosexual/liberal community has every right to not eat there, but for government officials to make statements that Chick-Fil-A better not expand in their cities is wrong!

Hold on tight brothers and sisters because Christian persecution in this nation is about to get a whole lot worse.

Hey, whadda ya know--there are some Christian brothers out there that see it my way!! You're right. We are in for more persecution, you can count on that. It's so stupid to try and make this a legal issue--trying to keep a business from expanding!! Yikes!!!!

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't vote in your poll because I think the issue is a lot more nuanced than just a matter of the guy being a good Christian with all the right answers.

The whole uproar is pretty ridiculous, and the fact that Mike Huckabee has turned it into an "us vs. them" thing is not at all how we should be living out the Gospel.

The bigger issue to me is hearing about how Chick-fil-a donates money to anti-gay organizations. I'd like to know the truth in that and exactly what those organizations do before I spend any money at Chick-fil-a (which I probably wouldn't do anyway, as I'm a semi-vegetarian!)

I also think if American Christians got a taste (no pun intended) of the real persecution that Christians endure throughout the world, no one would be complaining about the "persecution" of a chicken sandwich shop.

Last thought: Of course being a Christian is un-American, that goes without saying. America is not a Christian nation, and the "American dream" is not even close to the Gospel.

The persecution issue isn't with Chik-fil-a its a persecution on Christians and their beliefs. I know we aren't persecuted in the same way that the early Christians were but that's kind of understood. I'm not inferring in any way that we are subject to that kind of treatment but this sub-forum is called "Christian persecution" so I understand that to mean Christians and their beliefs under attack, which this situation most certainly is. A man is abusing his position to attempt an illegal act in the first place. The CEO of Chik -fil-a gives money to anti-gay organizations and that's his business. The fact that a good bit of your money that is spent in ANY retail / restaurant might go to some organizations that you don't agree with. Who knows? At least chickfila CEO was honest enough to tell the world where some of the money he makes goes to.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
As I said in another thread, we arent experiencing REAL persecution necessarily. I'm thrilled that so many people went out there yesterday (and all this week) to support chick-fil-a and in doing so supporting not only traditional [Biblical] family values but also the freedom of speech. It was easy to go out there yesterday, we werent gonna be shot for showing up at a restaurant and many people got food and even a coupon and little toy cow out of the deal.

But it is a type of persecution when a mayor says a restaurant isnt welcome in their city. I mean, what right has he to try to enforce that? None whatsoever. Gays complain that we're all haters and homophobes for showing up to support Chick-fil-a...but yet we arent trying to break any laws whereas there are those who are trying to break the 1st amenment by wanting to prohibit the restaurant in their cities... gotta love double standards.

Anyways, in saying all this, I went out there yesterday and supported the restaurant. No, I dont hate gay people, but yes I will stand for righteousness and freedom of speech in our nation. If we dont stand up for righteousness, everyone else is gonna stand up for unrighteousness...and they will win. Their 'freedoms' will be tolerated and our 'freedoms' as Christians will not.

Upvote 0

Amber Bird

We have enough gun control.We need idiot control!
Jul 8, 2012
✟1,243.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Well said. :)

I find it interesting that when Christian activist groups seek to persecute a minority community through active pursuit of either revoking their civil rights just achieved, or blocking any Legislative attempt to insure their inclusion as a community of Americans, that it's deemed "righteous" and "Biblically moral", by those who support such measures.

And yet when Christians are precluded from that endeavor,or are rebuffed in foreign lands, particularly as the news has related of late in predominantly Muslim countries to the point they're even killed, because believers there attempt to overthrow generations of non-Christian tradition, it's deemed "Christian persecution".

The owner of Chick-Fil-A is entitled to his personal opinion. What's reprehensible is when he lies after making the proclamation regarding "Biblical values and his support of traditional marriage", claiming it's just his personal opinion and he's not anti-Gay, while the charitable arm of his privately owned restaurant, "WinShape", donates millions of dollars to Christian activist organizations dedicated almost exclusively to prohibiting civil rights equality be attained by Gays in America. (Certain of those groups seek to revoke womens right to reproductive privacy as well).

So then it's not simply the man's personal opinion about Gay marriage. It's about giving money to various causes that intend to violate Gay's having the right to 14th amendment protections as free and equal citizens possessed of the inalienable civil right to be equal to straights in America.

And that intentional misleading of the public at large, in stating his is just a personal opinion, implies he has not only something to hide but that he's concerned with the fallout that could arise if the entire American consumer public who help to make him a billionaire with Chicken purchases, realized what their monies are helping to support.

WinShape 2010 Tax Return PDF LINK

List of Anti-Gay rights groups listed that WinShape/Chick-Fil-A and it's owner support:

• Marriage & Family Foundation
  • Fellowship Of Christian Athletes
  • National Christian Foundation
  • New Mexico Christian Foundation
  • Exodus International
  • Family Research Council
  • Georgia Family Council
FactCheck

The first amendment right to speak is not all encompassing. There are consequences to speaking freely in certain circumstances.

However, what is reprehensible is to donate millions of dollars over periods of years to organizations dedicated to violating civil right equality to one select class of Americans, because their personal lives are considered worthy of making them unAmerican. Without the civil right protections that fully protects them as American citizens entitled to the inalienable God given right of life, liberty and the pursuit of property/happiness.

The only reason groups like those above go after Gay's, is because such activist intent was thwarted when they sought to affect the same measures of lawful inequality against blacks and women.

One last hurrah as it were, for the hate brigades who cloak their bigotry as that what's actually inspired by Biblical values. When, if Biblical values were across the board a matter of compliance and enforcement in the Christian community, it's fair to say for those zealous adherents to them there'd be nary a single one left alive or at least impacted, due to their non-compliance to the letter.

Hate is not a family value.
Nor should it be ministered as a Godly one.

Upvote 0

Mairie

Jul 1, 2012
✟7,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The CEO of Chik -fil-a gives money to anti-gay organizations and that's his business. The fact that a good bit of your money that is spent in ANY retail / restaurant might go to some organizations that you don't agree with. Who knows? At least chickfila CEO was honest enough to tell the world where some of the money he makes goes to.

Oh, but it is our business AND our responsibility as consumers to know where our products came from and where our money is going. It's a complex issue, but I believe a VERY important part of living with compassion in this world and helping the further the kingdom of God. While it's impossible to exactly trace every single place where our money goes, we should do our best to research the places we choose to spend our money at. It's a whole lot better to try and partly succeed than to just throw our hands up and say "who knows?" I buy fair-trade whenever I can, I like to know where my meat came from (that's another thing I'd research before eating at Chick-fil-a) and yes, I absolutely do not want my money going to anti-gay organizations, so it is my business if I ever am going to eat at Chick-fil-a. I believe that traditional marriage is the right thing, too. But I love gay people; the gay friends I've had are some of the nicest people I've ever met. You'll find me showing compassion to these people, wanting to disciple them and show them the ways of the Lord, rather than donating my time and money to all things anti-gay. I'm sorry, but because of these several complex issues, I can't support Chick-fil-a with my money.

That said, I agree that what the mayor of Chicago did was unjust and wrong. Sure, that can probably be a small form of "persecution," although I'm sure that if Chick-fil-a actually wanted to open up in Chicago they have every legal right to do so and things could probably be worked out pretty quickly in court. (Not that I know much about legal things.) My issue is with the immediate retaliation of Christians...I wonder how many remember that the world is watching, and the gays may very well see this as retaliation against them personally. Let's turn the other cheek as Jesus said, approach this issue differently and take it as an opportunity to show love towards non-believers. Let's figure out how to balance things so that we can show compassion towards a Christian business owner as well, so the whole thing isn't such a divisive, "us vs. them" issue.

*Edit* This article from Huffington Post, "Chick-fil-A Anti-Gay Controversy: Gay Employees Speak Out" present a unique viewpoint, that, while obviously biased against the beliefs of Christians, really opened my eyes to the message that Christians are sending by supporting Chick-fil-A. Please read the viewpoints in this article with a prayerful, compassionate heart and then think about how we can better communicate the love and grace of Jesus Christ to the gay community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lol at the idea that this i
HTML:
s persecution.

Well, the forum is called Christian Persecution. As I pointed out I don't believe it's the same as persecution experienced by early Christians ( or any other ) but I feel when Christian beliefs are under attack then we can call it persecution. It is most likely what is meant by persecution on the forums. Should you feel this is not appropriate then I would suggest taking it up with proper CF staff about possibly changing the name of this particular sub-forum.

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's fine for him to state his beliefs. It's even fine for him to use company profits to contribute to hate groups (not all of the charities he contributes to are hate groups, but some very much are).

But it's also fine for me not to give that company any of my money. That's the wonderful thing about freedom!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You can. I don't think it's very nice to impose your views on other people, but there's definitely no one telling you that you can't eat at Chick fil A if you want to. I think fighting against gender equality is mean, but if you feel like the Lord wants you to treat others that way then go right ahead.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's fine for him to state his beliefs. It's even fine for him to use company profits to contribute to hate groups (not all of the charities he contributes to are hate groups, but some very much are).

But it's also fine for me not to give that company any of my money. That's the wonderful thing about freedom!

....and this is the RIGHT way (in my opinion) to handle it.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I def will go to support chick-fila more! Everyone else is giving to their pro-homosexual and choice companies etc and they have their celebs backing them...oprah,,madonna etc...so why cant we as Christians.

Good point.

Upvote 0