Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
These are christs own words... he his giving simon the authority to be the administrator... he is pointing out that he (christ) is fullfilling issiahs prophecy in so doing... i dont know how you fail to see this... its absolutly clear to me... do you deny jesus is referencing issiah???
Do you consider a person who believes what was stated in that post to which you are replying to be a Christian or not because of it??

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This isn't true. Such a person would carry the valid baptism for life, yes, but he could certainly renounce Christianity altogether and become, for example, an atheist or a Moslem.

That would make him apostate, as we say, and no longer a Christian, his baptism notwithstanding.

But we are getting way off the subject now by reciting doctrines for no particular reason.

You say it isnt true and then you say it is true... so which is it?

Yes a catholic can be

Faithfull
A heretic
Or an apostate

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's just silly. A Muslim is not a Christian.

But if said muslim was baptised in the name of father son and holy ghost first and later became a muslim then renounced islam and returned to christianity would they need to be baptised again.

No because his baptism continued to be valid despite his lack of faith... he remained a christian... albeit an apostate christian

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No because his baptism continued to be valid despite his lack of faith... he remained a christian... albeit an apostate christian
That's incorrect, but all I can do is suggest you check it out. He could be described as a person who apostatized from Christianity and subsequently became a Muslim (or Atheist or Buddhist), but he definitely is not, as a Muslim, a bad Christian. He is a former Christian.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,238,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Recently, someone told me that Catholicism is the only true faith, and that Protestants are heretics and may go to hell. When I told him I didn't pray to Mary and the Saints, he got quiet and claimed that Jesus' disciples and the first Christians were really Catholics. He claimed that anyone who rejects any kind of doctrine is a heretic. Thoughts? I don't believe him, but part of me questions if he is right? It doesn't make sense that someone who believes Jesus is the Son of God, rose from the dead, and keeps His commandments would not go to heaven because he was not a Catholic. It kind of upset me, actually.

BTW, not sure where to put this thread, so sorry if it is in the wrong place.
Speaking as a (not very good at practicing) Catholic myself, it does have some
beautiful aspects to it.

However, when people claim that their religion is The One (and they
pretty much all do it; that’s how religion behaves), it's like when someone
gushes about how their children are the most adorable. It's an expression
of perfectly natural, totally relatable, personal bias. I mean, one wouldn't
be involved in a religion that he/she didn't think was Da Bomb on some
level. •‿•

-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's incorrect, but all I can do is suggest you check it out. He could be described as a person who apostatized from Christianity and subsequently became a Muslim (or Atheist or Buddhist), but he definitely is not, as a Muslim, a bad Christian. He is a former Christian.

Does his baptism remain valid

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I quote the old testiment too and put what jesus is saying into context for you... how is that contradicting the bible
It contradicts someone's interpretation of the Bible, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: The Grouch
Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It contradicts someone's interpretation of the Bible, that's for sure.

And as scripture warns

2 peter 20

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation"

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,238,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
And as scripture warns

2 peter 20

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation"
While the prophecy (and that's prophecy specifically, not every line of scripture besides it) may not have come about by the prophet's own interpretation, that's a separate issue from conclusions drawn thereof by the reader's own interpretation. :)

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While the prophecy (and that's prophecy specifically, not every line of scripture besides it) may not have come about by the prophet's own interpretation, that's a separate issue from conclusions drawn thereof by the reader's own interpretation. :)

Prophet:
"a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had Protestants tell me straight up I'm going to hell because I'm Catholic. I've run into this a small handful of times. Of course the same sort of folks might say Billy Graham is damned to hell as well for not being the right kind of Baptist.

Individual Protestants and individual Catholics (and individual Orthodox) may go to hell. Being Catholic, by itself, is no guarantee of being saved. Even believing every doctrine is no guarantee of being saved, so he was technically right that Protestants (some of them anyhow) might go to hell. But to the extent that he intended that simply by being Protestant one might go to hell, he is wrong.

There was a firebrand priest associated with Boston College in the 1950's named Fr. Feeney. His thing was that all Protestants were going to hell. The Vatican examined his teaching and ended up excommunicating him for it. Fr. Feeney took the old Patristic saying that 'Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus (There is no salvation outside of the Church)' and applied it that Protestants were damned. But he found himself outside of the Church as well, until he finally repented. Catholic teaching is that while Protestants are lacking some things, one is not damned simply for being Protestant. The glass is at least still half full.

Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus - Wikipedia
Leonard Feeney - Wikipedia

I believe the Catholic Church presents the true faith, or I wouldn't remain a Catholic. At the same time I reserve the term 'heretic' for those who are obstinate in their refusal to believe truths of the faith, not for people who grew up Protestant. You should dismiss this person's unsettling approach and instead concentrate on seeking the truth as best you can, following your Savior wherever He leads. You are not damned for growing up Protestant, and no less an authority than the Holy Office of the Vatican says so. But you do have, as we all do, the responsibility to come closer to our Lord. If we keep that responsibility we will eventually come out in the same place.
When anyone tells me I’m going to hell, I smile, and respond
Are you Jesus Christ?
Religion, what a load of bull
Do religious people realize they sound just like the Pharisees?
And we know how Jesus viewed them don’t we.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catholics say yes
Non-Catholics say no.
I was baptised a catholic and I would still say no
Their teaching is contradictory to the Bible, they twist scripture to suit their own doctrine,
So no, their not the true faith

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These are christs own words... he his giving simon the authority to be the administrator... he is pointing out that he (christ) is fullfilling issiahs prophecy in so doing... i dont know how you fail to see this... its absolutly clear to me... do you deny jesus is referencing issiah???
Just a couple questions about the first pope? Since he was married, he must not have liked being married because popes are no longer permitted to be married....
What was Peter's wife called? Mrs Pope? Popess?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When anyone tells me I’m going to hell, I smile, and respond
Are you Jesus Christ?
Religion, what a load of bull
Do religious people realize they sound just like the Pharisees?
And we know how Jesus viewed them don’t we.
There is a hell, and it may not be empty. Many these days are content to let you go there. So while I do a facepalm when the friendly neighborhood Protestant tells me I am going to hell, at least I recognize that she might have a bit of concern for me even if her reasoning is a bit backwards. She and I have more in common than those very judgemental folks who scold others about everything while preaching tolerance.

Upvote 0