Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by his-girl
KC,

So you don't believe that the Word has all the answers??

You believe He wasn't smart enough to put everything we needed in there for us?

I don't think God isn't smart enough, or powerful enough, to answer our questions. However, as there are questions yet unanswered, I must either trust Him blindly, or try to figure out what His reasons are.

I believe that the Bible has everything we need that we can get from a book - which, frankly, isn't all that much. You don't need a Bible to be Christian, and the Bible won't make you Christian. All you need to be a Christian is Christ; the rest is window dressing.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree seebs.

That's fine. We don't have to agree, we just have to be ready to be corrected when God points out our errors - and I'm sure we all have plenty of those.

I think it's pretty clear that many moral issues we face today are not directly addressed by the Bible, and require us to think a fair amount about them. I trust that God does this for a reason.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by seebs
I believe God is the final authority, and that the Word of God is the Living Word, who was made flesh and dwelt among us, and that the Bible is not the Word, but just the words.

Where in the bible does it say that? Is this your own doctorine?

It seems the bible disagrees with your statement: 1Tim 3:15 - " if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

It's silent on tons of issues; there's nothing in the Bible that directly addresses abortion, birth control, premarital sex, the modern belief that slavery is immoral, the moral status (if any) of pets, what kinds of music one can listen to, whether or not computers are compatible with a Christian life, or tons of other issues. On many of these issues, there are passages people have gradually changed their understanding of to get answers - but the answers we have today are not answers that someone a thousand years ago would have recognized.

That is not true.

Upvote 0

Live4Jesus

Dec 31, 2002
VA
Visit site
✟1,365.00
That's fine. We don't have to agree, we just have to be ready to be corrected when God points out our errors - and I'm sure we all have plenty of those.

I think it's pretty clear that many moral issues we face today are not directly addressed by the Bible, and require us to think a fair amount about them. I trust that God does this for a reason.

Seebs, someday, when you really really get the Holy Spirit you know something, as he leads you... that the word IS true,,, every little bit of it..

God is not a liar. Neither is He a weakling. He did write it... someday seebs perhaps you will know, prayers!

:clap: :clap: :clap::

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by KC Catholic
Where in the bible does it say that? Is this your own doctorine?

The book of John seems to say that the Word is God, and was made flesh and dwelt among this. From this I conclude that "Word" with a capital-W is different from "words spoken or inspired by".

It seems the bible disagrees with your statement: 1Tim 3:15 - " if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

We may know, but I don't think we know because the Bible says it all unambiguously.

That is not true.

Perhaps; I have yet to see anyone offer unambiguous citations on those issues that didn't depend on information outside the Bible. Curiously, I actually see this as one of the best arguments for the Catholic Church's position; the combination of Tradition and Bible answers questions when the Bible alone is too hard to interpret.

Upvote 0

his-girl

Saved by Grace
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think God isn't smart enough, or powerful enough, to answer our questions. However, as there are questions yet unanswered, I must either trust Him blindly, or try to figure out what His reasons are.

I believe that the Bible has everything we need that we can get from a book - which, frankly, isn't all that much. You don't need a Bible to be Christian, and the Bible won't make you Christian. All you need to be a Christian is Christ; the rest is window dressing.

Matthew 2:1-2 and again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the House.  Immediately many gathered together,s o that there was no long room to receive them, not even near the door.  And He preached the WORD to them.

Matthew 4:4, But He answered adn said, "It is WRITTEN, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every WORD that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Mark 4:13-20 and He said to the, "Do you not understand this parable?  How then will you understand all the parables?  The sower sows the WORD; and these are the ones by the wayside where the WORD is sown.  When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the WORD that was sown in their hearts.  These likewise are the ones sown on stony ground who, when they hear the WORD immediately receive it with gladness; and they have no root in themselves and so endure only for a time.  Afterwards, when tribulation or persecution arises for the WORDS's sake, immediately they stumble.  Now these are the ones sown among throns; they are the ones who hear the WORD and the cares of this world, th edeceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the WORD, and it becomes unfruitful; but these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the WORD, accept it and bear fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty and some a hundred.

Mark 7:9  He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 

Luke 5:1 So it was, as the multitude pressed about him to hear the WORD OF GOD.

Luke 11:18 "More than that, blessed are those who hear the Word of God and keep it!"

John1:1-5 In the beginning was the WORD, and the WORD was with God, and the WORD was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through HIM and without HIM nothing was made that was made.  In HIM was life, and the life was the life of men.  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

John 5:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears MY WORD and believes in HIM who sent ME has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life.

John 7:28 Has not the Scriptures said that the Christ comes from the seed of David and from the town of Bethlehem, where David was?  So there was a division among the people because of HIM.  Now some of them wanted to take HIM, but no one laid hands on HIM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Live4Jesus
Seebs, someday, when you really really get the Holy Spirit you know something, as he leads you... that the word IS true,,, every little bit of it..

God is not a liar. Neither is He a weakling. He did write it... someday seebs perhaps you will know, prayers!

The Holy Spirit has led me to believe that it is not, in fact, moral for me to buy a slave, and then beat that slave as severely as I like, so long as he gets up again within a couple of days.

Would you be offended if I told you that "some day, when you really get the Holy Spirit, you'll understand that some of what you're reading is not really God's will for you, but just a record of people who came before you trying to work it out?"

If so, then why are you doing the same thing to me?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(various quotes)

Yes, there's several passages that all use the word "word", in ways that might lead one to conclude that the Bible is the same thing as Jesus, but there's a clear distinction between Jesus - the Word made flesh, as John says - and things *said by* Jesus, and between things Jesus said and other things written down by humans years after He died.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tsk tsk KC.

it is the breath of life you speak against.

You gotta learn to catch on to my quick wit and sense of humor. I knew what you really meant.

The day of Pentacost was the day I finally felt the Holy Spirit was bringing me home to the Catholic Church. That day is very special to me.

Upvote 0

his-girl

Saved by Grace
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, there's several passages that all use the word "word", in ways that might lead one to conclude that the Bible is the same thing as Jesus, but there's a clear distinction between Jesus - the Word made flesh, as John says - and things *said by* Jesus, and between things Jesus said and other things written down by humans years after He died.

seebs, you really need to read the Word and not rely on man to tell you what is right and what is wrong.  I'm not questioning your salvation, I'm questioning why you don't defend JESUS with the same fever you defend the Catholic Church.  Isn't HE worth your effort?

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

:clap: :clap: :clap::

You presume a lot, L4J.

Who are you to decide whether Seebs has the Holy Spirit in him or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

his-girl

Saved by Grace
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Christian

seebs the Word is the guidebook that Jesus left for us.  He tells us that He will always be with us.  We are to study the scriptures in order to know a false teacher from the Truth.  If we blindly follow a certain doctrine, we can easily be mislead....

Upvote 0

his-girl

Saved by Grace
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
✟238.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Annabel Lee
You presume a lot, L4J.

Who are you to decide whether Seebs has the Holy Spirit in him or not?

Annabel, How can one profess to have the HS in them when they deny the Word as being true??

Luke 11:28 tells us 'More than that, blessed are those who hear the WORD OF GOD AND KEEP IT!'

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
seebs, you really need to read the Word and not rely on man to tell you what is right and what is wrong.  I'm not questioning your salvation, I'm questioning why you don't defend JESUS with the same fever you defend the Catholic Church.  Isn't HE worth your effort?

Seebs isn't Catholic.
He's an equal opportunity defender of truth and justice. :)

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Your churches are all good. The Bible is beautiful and true. But we each must find our own answers and work out are own salvation. You can not become more by making another feel less. Only when you know LOVE at the cost of humility will you know Jesus.

My prayers are that the Spirit will speak to his children and give us the wisdom to understand his words. God is not dead. He is still speaking to those who can hear.

May God bless us all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.