Is Catholicism Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Please note:&nbsp&nbspFirstly, everyone who is a Christian is allowed to post in these forums. A thread cannot be restricted to only certain denominations or persons. Secondly, discussions regarding Catholicism can become volatile. Do not let the thread deteriorate into flaming or disharmony. Please read the forum rules and comply with them or the thread will be closed. Thank you.

This is an issue that I think is a major one for Protestantism/Evangelicalism. I am not trying to come to a conclusion that every Catholic is not saved (there are definately some), but the question is "Is what the RC Church teaches offically, is it Christianity?" I mean doctrines like Papal infallibility, the Papcy, Baptismal regeneration, that only the RC Church can interprete scripture, purgratory (and the doctrine that says that accepting Christ only cleanses us from original sin, and that sins done in this life are not cleansed by accepting Christ), etc. What do people here think? Is the RC Church the woman that's riding the beast in Revelation 17/18?

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Is your checking account Christian?

Any person who is a Believer in Christ, a follower of His teachings is a Christian whatever denomination they belong to.

Christian means a follower of Christ, a person who has determined himself to the devotion and service of Christ. Believers are Christians, the people, the followers of Christ. Denominations are institutions, organizations of human beings, non-tangible, non-living things that have no meaning outside the context of their human members.

No object or institution can be a Christian, only people can be. Objects or institutions can be built and dedicated to the service of Christ, by Christians.

Why not ask if your hat is Christian? Or you checking account?

People are Christians, and their churches are their for them, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Sigh

[sarcasm]
No the Catholic Church is not "The Woman Who Rides the Beast".

I am, "The Woman Who Rides the Beast"..and I am taking over NOW!

So drink from the Papal Chalice or suffer my wrath!!

Love and Kisses.
Annabel Lee...Secret Papal Operative and Friendly Neighborhood Beast Rider

[/sarcasm]

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by lambslove

Any person who is a Believer in Christ, a follower of His teachings is a Christian whatever denomination they belong to.

Christian means a follower of Christ, a person who has determined himself to the devotion and service of Christ. Believers are Christians, the people, the followers of Christ. Denominations are institutions, organizations of human beings, non-tangible, non-living things that have no meaning outside the context of their human members.

No object or institution can be a Christian, only people can be. Objects or institutions can be built and dedicated to the service of Christ, by Christians.

People are Christians, and their churches are their for them, not the other way around.

:hug: You are beautiful!

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know I enjoy your humor, Annabel, I love your sarcasm and quick wit.:D

But seriously, the poster has some questions based on falsehoods he has been taught by false(or misinformed) teachers. He is only 16, and he is, perhaps, seeking the truth. Believe it or not, there are some denominations that teach that the Catholic Church is the "Beast", or the "Anti-Christ", or whatever. I would say, the Catholics(and non-Catholics) have a never ending job of dispelling these lies.

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Catholics are Christians but they aren't the only Christians and they don't have exclusive rights to the Bible or interpretation.

If you believe catholics are in error in some way calling them a harlot is no way to reach out to them in a Christ-like manner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Athlon4all
What do people here think? Is the RC Church the woman that's riding the beast in Revelation 17/18?

No. But some people, including me, think that the institution of the Catholic Church will]/i] be. Right now it is inhabited by many, many Believers, but after the rapture, when all the Believers from every denomination and no denomination are taken up, non-believers wil take it over and turn it into the woman of Revelation.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by sonworshipper
Considering the amount of confessed Catholics looking at this thread ( and ready to pounce?), one would be hard pressed, I think, to give an honest opinion/ answer to this post. ;)

As long as it is thoughtful and not mean, it's okay.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Although I do not agree with the intital post I think you missed the point of the post.  It basically asked if the RCC's theology is Christian.  It asked if it was close enough to the truth to be called Christian.  I personally think that the RCC is a Christian church although I do disagree with it on some points. 

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I understood that, but I wanted to steer him away from thinking that anything other than human Believers can be Christian. It is the state of your heart and soul that makes you Christian, not your theology.

"Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately." Acts 18:24-28 NIV

Apollos's theology was perfect, but he wasn't a Christian at the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by sonworshipper
Considering the amount of confessed Catholics looking at this thread ( and ready to pounce?), one would be hard pressed, I think, to give an honest opinion/ answer to this post. ;)

It's kind of like watching the US military build up in the Gulf, isn't it? ;)

We're not going to pounce! ;) :D

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Auntie
You know I enjoy your humor, Annabel, I love your sarcasm and quick wit.:D

But seriously, the poster has some questions based on falsehoods he has been taught by false(or misinformed) teachers. He is only 16, and he is, perhaps, seeking the truth. Believe it or not, there are some denominations that teach that the Catholic Church is the "Beast", or the "Anti-Christ", or whatever. I would say, the Catholics(and non-Catholics) have a never ending job of dispelling these lies.

Auntie: Please don't be so gullible. If this person were interested in the truth he would not have purposely exempted the Catholics from answering.

I can not see how it can be allowed that a Church can be attacked and its members are to say nothing?

If you are looking for something wrong... there's a good place to start!

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But with a little patience and compassion, he might be shown the lies behind his beliefs.

That's what I've been saying.  Don't pass the hate on, throw water on it before it spreads :)   I would say a passage like in your sig 1st John 4:20 would be a great start lamb :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.