• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Is Canadian Anglicanism a good fit?

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by stavros388, Jul 22, 2019.

1. stavros388

stavros388 Newbie

+30
    Christian
    Married
    Greetings,

Former Orthodox and lapsed Catholic here. Frankly, I've had it with dogmas and doctrines being held as more important than one's own spiritual growth in God. I am an ally of LGBTQ and have absolutely had it with the weird Catholic and overall Christian fixation on peoples' sexuality and gender identity. I am not a biblical literalist. I am fairly creative in my theological beliefs, but I want to participate in a progressive but serious church community. By serious, I mean I feel called to work on becoming more charitable, selfless, self controlled, loving, forgiving, and developing a serious Christian practice without being in fear of excommunication for rejecting certain dogmas or beliefs. I also want to participate in the Eucharist. Does the Canadian Anglican Church sound like a good fit? I have never been to a service, but I know that my nearby parish is a joint ministry with the United Church of Canada and has ties with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada. This seems promising as both are progressive. Thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,816
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    It sounds like you might fit in well in a more High Church Anglican parish. If your local parish is a joint ministry with the UCC, there is a fair chance it might be more church then you are used to, but still recognizable. I will say that Anglicanism tends to be a place that's very tolerant of multiple theological viewpoints.

3. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,325
    Anglican
    Married
    I agree with Archangl86 about this. Maybe the Anglican Church of Canada will be a good fit. If I thought it most likely would not, I would certainly say so.

But it looks like you would do yourself a favor by looking into the possibility, visiting several churches to observe first hand, and reading the literature that they put out. That should give you enough of a heads up to either pursue it...or else persuade you to look elsewhere.

4. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Unworthy servant of God Supporter

+3,757
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Your views seem to be in line with the Anglican Church of Canada services I have been to when I was a member of that church. Most (all) now use the Book of Alternative Services rather than the Book of Common Prayer, so are a bit “lower” church than some, but the Anglican Church of Canada is more progressive than the other Anglican groups (such as the Anglican Network in Canada, which I believe is now part of the ACNA - I am a bit out of touch and dated, so forgive me if I am wrong) that left some time ago.

5. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 "Only Me!" Supporter

+2,525
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I don't know much about the Anglican church in Canada, but I can imagine its theology and practice will not be too dissimilar to the Church of England, of which I am a member.

In my experience, I have found the CofE to be very diverse, not only in its forms of worship ranging from liturgical to charismatic, but also in the range of viewpoints held by its members over theology and social issues.

For instance, I have a fondness for the liturgy, but also embrace fresh expressions of worship. I am not a biblical literalist, but I can learn a lot from Christians in my church who happen to hold this view. I believe in the real presence in the Eucharist, whereas some others do not. Whatever our backgrounds, whatever our doctrinal distinctives, we welcome and affirm one another in the body of Christ.

I'm not saying the Anglican church has always 'got things right', but it is certainly a place I feel very much at home.

6. stavros388

stavros388 Newbie

+30
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you, everybody, for your input. Much appreciated!