May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Billionaire presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg is slated to meet with influential business executives on Thursday as he looks to encourage them to back the Democratic National Committee and state Democratic parties in the 2020 campaign.

The meeting is set to take place in New York and will include veteran Wall Street leaders who run hedge funds and private equity firms, according to people familiar with the matter. These people declined to be named since the planned gathering has been deemed private.

The invitation to the meeting did not say what it would be about, according to people familiar with the outreach. Separately, an aide to Bloomberg said he is planning to call on donors to give directly to the DNC and a variety of state parties.

Bloomberg, who served three terms as mayor of New York, has already committed to funding his own campaign for president. He has an estimated net worth of $54 billion. Some of his rivals, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren, have accused him of trying to buy the Democratic nomination.

Invitees to the meeting have also been key fundraisers, also known as bundlers, for rival Democrats, including former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris, who recently dropped out of the presidential race.

Harris’ donors have been hearing from a variety of people close to rival Democratic candidates looking to woo them into joining their campaigns.

It is Bloomberg’s latest power play to become a leader within the Democratic Party.

“He’ll encourage giving to state parties and the DNC to support efforts across the country to make sure Donald Trump does not get a second term,” Bloomberg spokesman Marc LaVorgna told CNBC in a statement. “Many donors have been sitting on the sidelines, waiting for the primary to play out, and Mike is making it clear we simply cannot wait.”

The DNC in particular is in dire straits and needs help in the fundraising game. The organization’s latest monthly finance report shows that it raised just over $9 million during October and is $7 million in debt.

Bloomberg has already committed over $100 million to his own campaign and, separately, to House Democrats running for reelection. He spent over $110 million backing Democrats as they took over the majority in the House during the 2018 midterm elections.

He spent just over $117 million on TV ads since he entered the race just before Thanksgiving. Bloomberg has also committed to giving more than $10 million supporting House Democrats who are under siege by allies of Trump as some prepare to vote for impeaching the commander in chief.

Mike Bloomberg will push Wall Street executives, other megadonors to back fundraising effort for DNC in 2020

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
More proof that today's GOPers are really Trump worshippers.

Bloomberg is a billionaire, runs SUCCESSFUL businesses. And here I thought the whole rationale for being Republican is that a successful businessman would be good at running the country, too. All those GOPers who claim, "Oh, Trump is bad, but look at those Democrats. They're worse!" … you'd think they would be immediately supporting Bloomberg.

They don't.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bloomberg is an opportunist. He's always wanted to be president and seeing such a weak field he thinks his chances are pretty good. If he gets the nomination he will look pretty small on stage with Trump. That would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Bloomberg is a billionaire, runs SUCCESSFUL businesses. And here I thought the whole rationale for being Republican is that a successful businessman would be good at running the country, too. All those GOPers who claim, "Oh, Trump is bad, but look at those Democrats. They're worse!" … you'd think they would be immediately supporting Bloomberg.

They don't.
Or we could observe that the incessant chant of Democrats for years now has been that the Republicans are the party of the rich, "millionaires and billionaires," and so on, whereas it is the case that the Democratic Party is run by those very people--Steyer, Soros, the Oracle of Omaha, Bloomberg, Koch, Gates, and others.

As for Bloomberg, we probably could say that he is trying to buy the nomination, but how different --or less admirable--is that than, say, Elizabeth Warren whose campaign is fueled by the "big money" guys? I think now that he may actually have a chance, because of his money but also because in a field made up by extremists trying to outdo each other in the ridiculousness of their campaign promises, he may wind up looking, well, normal.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
, whereas it is the case that the Democratic Party is run by those very people--Steyer, Soros, the Oracle of Omaha, Bloomberg, Koch, Gates, and others.
Are you referring to the Koch brothers?
? I think now that he may actually have a chance, because of his money but also because in a field made up by extremists trying to outdo each other in the ridiculousness of their campaign promises, he may wind up looking, well, normal.
I agree.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They don't.

You should actually pay attention to what people say rather a than assuming they believe what you want them to believe. Republicans did not back Trump because he was a business person. they backed him because he won the election. Voters voted for him because they did not like what Hillary stood for politically.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should actually pay attention to what people say rather a than assuming they believe what you want them to believe. Republicans did not back Trump because he was a business person. they backed him because he won the election. Voters voted for him because they did not like what Hillary stood for politically.
What? It was Republican supporters that won him the primary and the general election.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lots of protest votes against Hillary, as there will be in 2020 against the Dem nominee whoever it is.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lots of protest votes against Hillary, as there will be in 2020 against the Dem nominee whoever it is.

I don't know how many are protest votes and how many are just votes against the policies the nominee espouses. I do know that so far not one Democrat has proposed anything I would want to be put into effect. Trump is not ideal as I don't like his fiscal irresponsibility (though the Democrat proposals would be worse in that regard) or his personality or his character but he does at least have one or two policies I agree with and he isn't going to get anything radical passed even if both houses of Congress were to become Republican. I could not say the Democrats would refrain from going radical under the same circumstances . As a matter of fact I would expect it. Democrat politicians seem to toe the party line much more faithfully than Republicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how many are protest votes and how many are just votes against the policies the nominee espouses. I do know that so far not one Democrat has proposed anything I would want to be put into effect. Trump is not ideal as I don't like his fiscal irresponsibility (though the Democrat proposals would be worse in that regard) or his personality or his character but he does at least have one or two policies I agree with and he isn't going to get anything radical passed even if both houses of Congress were to become Republican. I could not say the Democrats would refrain from going radical under the same circumstances . As a matter of fact I would expect it. Democrat politicians seem to toe the party line much more faithfully than Republicans.

The 800 pound gorilla is still the people. If they would behave more responsibly there would be little for the two parties to squabble about.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do realize the really obvious problem with that, right?

Yes. Democrats do the same btw. One reason I would be happy if political parties were outlawed.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Democrats do the same btw. One reason I would be happy if political parties were outlawed.

No.

Republicans don't support Trump because he got elected. Obviously if he had to get elected first before he got support, he never would have gotten elected at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of them died recently.
They are/were never Dems. or libel. They are Tea Party supporters.
They are close and long-time friends of Betsey DeVos' family. One was/is a conservative Libertarian.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No.

Republicans don't support Trump because he got elected. Obviously if he had to get elected first before he got support, he never would have gotten elected at all.
GTAW is correct. While Trump narrowly won the election, his support among Republicans has grown stronger since the election because of two factors--1) his successes in office have proven his ability and shown that he meant to keep his campaign promises, and 2) the campaign waged against him by people who refused to accept that he had won the election, naturally earned him sympathy from people, including independents, whose main concern is the democratic system of government, free elections, and so on. All of that is a function of "because he got elected."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They are/were never Dems. or libel. They are Tea Party supporters.
They are close and long-time friends of Betsey DeVos' family. One was/is a conservative Libertarian.
Too many errors in that short post for me to bother commenting on. Sorry. I don't mean to be unnecessarily abrupt.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
GTAW is correct. While Trump narrowly won the election, his support among Republicans has grown stronger since the election because of two factors--1) his successes in office have proven his ability and shown that he meant to keep his campaign promises, and 2) the campaign waged against him by people who refused to accept that he had won the election, naturally earned him sympathy from people, including independents, whose main concern is the democratic system of government, free elections, and so on. All of that is a function of "because he got elected."

Too many errors in that short post for me to bother commenting on.

Upvote 0