Is belief for/against creationism important for salvation?

Does believing for or against creationism affect salvation?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
Canadian75 said:
Really....is it?

If so, then why?

If not, then why argue about it so often?

Peace.

I argue to educate people about science. If you seen recent polls, Americans are terribly uneducated when it comes to biological sciences. Groups like AiG and ICR make science and Christianity seem incompatible, which make people think that it is a salvation issue. I take part in the debate to dispell this myth as well as to to keep America's science classrooms free of pseudoscience and educate Americans.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Canadian75 said:
Really....is it?

If so, then why?

Peace.
No, but I like debating, and I think creationism makes religion look bad. I think when people try to claim the Earth is 6,000 years old, or a global flood occurred, or the Sun revolves around the Earth, it gives theists a bad name. And I think education is important. America, despite being the only superpower, is a rather pathetic country when it comes knowledge and education. As an example, more Americans know the name of the 3 stooges than the 3 branches of government. 61% of Americans can't name a single Supreme Court Justice, yet they can name at least 2 of Snow White's seven dwarves.

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that a belief in creationism or theistic evolution has any bearing on one's salvation. The Bible isn't about the age of the earth, it's about God's interaction in human history through the Jews, which culminated in the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Personally, my beliefs boil down to this:

I believe that God created the heavens and the earth, but I also accept scientific evidence which points to the earth being around 13.3 billion years old.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably it is, though in an indirect way. If Creationism is tied to the future fate of Christianity, and I believe it is, then its acceptance or rejection will have a severe impact on the health of the church and therefore the salvation of people.

Upvote 0

Tindomerel

Aug 8, 2006
Wherever I am
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: to random_guy and Jase
That is my answer, too.... Being from Germany where evolution is a solid part of our school education I am always amazed when I read about the huge number of Americans that haven't heard about evolution (and many of those deny it even they don't really know what it is)...

Reactions: theFijian
Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
DailyBlessings said:
Probably it is, though in an indirect way. If Creationism is tied to the future fate of Christianity, and I believe it is, then its acceptance or rejection will have a severe impact on the health of the church and therefore the salvation of people.

I believe that anti-evolution, millennialism, anti-higher criticism are three principles not of the visible church but of a part of it-->fundamentalism. As critical issues, perhaps even the foundational ones, in that theological system, fundamentalism will rise or fall on these issues but the wider (much wider) general church will not, and is not very effected by the issue. Except as fundamentalism makes the demand that salvation is attached to a specific theory of origins and demands that Christians take a stand for or against fundamentalism.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, it is not a requirement for salvation.

In general - creation versus non-creation can greatly affect your concept of God. (I'm talking total non-creation, not virtually all the various flavors of TE) If ultimately, however He did it, HE made us, then we have to deal with Him.

In specific, there are a number of important issues, such as how one interprets scripture that can be dealt with in good discussions.

And yes, I like to learn and grow intellectually as well as spiritually -- and I enjoy a good clean spirited discussion.

Reactions: rmwilliamsll
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
rmwilliamsll said:
I believe that anti-evolution, millennialism, anti-higher criticism are three principles not of the visible church but of a part of it-->fundamentalism. As critical issues, perhaps even the foundational ones, in that theological system, fundamentalism will rise or fall on these issues but the wider (much wider) general church will not, and is not very effected by the issue. Except as fundamentalism makes the demand that salvation is attached to a specific theory of origins and demands that Christians take a stand for or against fundamentalism.
Fundamentalism describes a major portion of the church and defines Christianity to many non-Christians. It cannot die without taking Christians down with it, I don't think.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
DailyBlessings said:
Fundamentalism describes a major portion of the church and defines Christianity to many non-Christians. It cannot die without taking Christians down with it, I don't think.

I'm of the hope that as the visible church's center of mass begins to move out of the overdeveloped world and into Africa and China that the problems of the past that have dominated the conversation in the US for a hundred years begin to be pushed aside by the issues that are important to the church in those areas.

in particular, relationship of church to state especially with an authoritarian state and the ongoing battle with Islam. in the light of life and death issues, evolution and creation or ordination of women seem unimportant.

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There have been some great answers. I am not a creationist myself, but I respect their views (I also accept that creationism is possible even if I don't think it is probable). I just find that it is disappointing many Christians get heated with each other over issues that are not hugely important in the big picture. I still see that there is so much fragmentation in Christianity and some of it is not necessary.

I'm still waiting to see if many creationists or non-creationists actually believe it is important to believe in creation for one's salvation and why. But so far this is not the case.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Mallon said:
From the little reading I've done on the man, Bonhoeffer himself didn't seem to think so. ;)
oh you mean Pastor Bonhoffer? sorry I got confused. From what I understand Herr Bonhoffer was a fair bit more liberal than me. although I still respect the stand he took against Hitler, if I was to sign up to CF today I would probably choose a different name. when I signed up two and a half years ago I was more liberal then and an evolutionist.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bonhoffer said:
no, I was an evolutionist for about three months after I became a Christian. I dont think beliving in evolution affects salvation, but I do believe that it (perhaps subtly) undermines the gospel.

if evolution doesn't effect salvation, the core of the Gospel message, then how could it (evolution) undermine it (the Gospel), even perhaps subtly?

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Canadian75 said:
Really....is it?

If so, then why?

Peace.

assuming that by creationism you mean the pov that holds to a literal interpretation of Genesis with the associated 6 day (24 hour per day) creation story, etc, etc, etc, then no.

the only thing that is important with regards to personal salvation is God's grace and the individual's response to that grace.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Bonhoffer said:
when I signed up two and a half years ago I was more liberal then and an evolutionist.
I have to ask, for my own curiosity: when you say you were an evolutionist, do you mean that you studied evolutionary science? Or do you mean that you accepted evolution without ever really having understood the science behind it (the same way I accept 4-stroke engines, without actually knowing what's going on inside)?

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mallon said:
I have to ask, for my own curiosity: when you say you were an evolutionist, do you mean that you studied evolutionary science? Or do you mean that you accepted evolution without ever really having understood the science behind it (the same way I accept 4-stroke engines, without actually knowing what's going on inside)?

You're an internalcombustionist? :p

Reactions: laptoppop
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.