Is being SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT biblical.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you ps139, excellent post!

I think I should point something out to you though....

ps139 said:
He has healed many people, including one of my best friend's sisters.
I'm more than sure that if the healing was real Fr. Diorio gives all the glory to God. ;)

I think you know he was only an annointed vessel but being picky as I sometimes are I just had to point that out. I think you can agree with the way the Fr. D put's it.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey, when I wrote that sentence I knew some people might think that, but maybe you missed this line:
But I know it was God working through His servant. As Father D always says, "I don't do anything, God uses me."

:)

Fr. D is one of the most humble guys I know.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ps139 said:
Hey, when I wrote that sentence I knew some people might think that, but maybe you missed this line:

:)

Fr. D is one of the most humble guys I know.
My edits are not fast enough for you. :sigh:

I agree with everything you said in your post. The church I go to is alot more laid back then most Pentecostal churches. We don't have slain in the spirit services every sunday, in fact the service I went to was the only time I witnessed this thing, and people may have the gift of talking in tongues but generally it says out of church.
If my church was anything like the church that was shown in the video link in that earlier post then I wouldn't be a member. I don't know if I could deal with that type of behavior. I was raised Catholic for Pete's sake! ;) LOL! joke, please don't report me people...

I'm aware that some of this slain in the spirit may all be tied in with emotion too but I don't think that is always the case.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
nephilimiyr said:
My edits are not fast enough for you. :sigh:
I'm quick on the draw :)

If my church was anything like the church that was shown in the video link in that earlier post then I wouldn't be a member. I don't know if I could deal with that type of behavior. I was raised Catholic for Pete's sake! ;) LOL! joke, please don't report me people...
LOL, ^_^

I can definitely relate brother. :)

Upvote 0

drpepper101

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,748.00
Faith
Catholic
jacquidube said:
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
What are other peoples opinions on this please.

No, it's not Biblical. In fact I would go as far as to say it's not even Godly. Like many other practices of "Charismatics" it's just a show to get attention from the crowd. When did the Apostles ever show off a gift of the Spirit just to prove they could? There's nothing Biblical about getting up in front of a crowd and muttering jibberish or falling down and rolling around like a lunitic.

Upvote 0
P

PujolsisbetterthanBonds

nephilimiyr said:
Ok, I understand that but I hope you realize how I feel when there is something I believe in and I come to this thread and people are saying things like, satan worship, new age, people forcing something into the Bible that isn't there. They and you have totally ignored my testimony as to this being real and from God because I highly doubt that Satan is going to heal me and I highly doubt that he has the power to heal me even if he wanted to.

I have heard that this slain in the spirit was in evidence in the early church so most of the accounts of it will not be in the Bible. It was said that when men of God came into a city and preached they asked that the people refrain from sitting on the roof tops or in the trees because when the power of God came people would fall out of the trees and off of the houses.

You Catholics and Orthodoxies should know what I'm talking about. You all say that the Bible isn't the whole word of God but that some of the things you believe in can't always be pointed to directly in the Bible but is apart of tradition. So since this is the case with you why do you expect me or anybody else to point directly to a verse or story in the Bible as proof that this thing is biblical? And I have given one biblical account by the way and another poster gave a second account.

Let me ask you a question -- do you believe that simply because you experienced something in a religious setting that it was from God? Are our experiences valid tests for something being true and biblical? I would like to address the passages you listed, but I'd like to start first with your response to these questions.

Go Cards!

Upvote 0
P

PujolsisbetterthanBonds

nephilimiyr said:
Ok, I understand that but I hope you realize how I feel when there is something I believe in and I come to this thread and people are saying things like, satan worship, new age, people forcing something into the Bible that isn't there. They and you have totally ignored my testimony as to this being real and from God because I highly doubt that Satan is going to heal me and I highly doubt that he has the power to heal me even if he wanted to.

I have heard that this slain in the spirit was in evidence in the early church so most of the accounts of it will not be in the Bible. It was said that when men of God came into a city and preached they asked that the people refrain from sitting on the roof tops or in the trees because when the power of God came people would fall out of the trees and off of the houses.

You Catholics and Orthodoxies should know what I'm talking about. You all say that the Bible isn't the whole word of God but that some of the things you believe in can't always be pointed to directly in the Bible but is apart of tradition. So since this is the case with you why do you expect me or anybody else to point directly to a verse or story in the Bible as proof that this thing is biblical? And I have given one biblical account by the way and another poster gave a second account.
Go Cards!

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
drpepper101 said:
No, it's not Biblical. In fact I would go as far as to say it's not even Godly. Like many other practices of "Charismatics" it's just a show to get attention from the crowd. When did the Apostles ever show off a gift of the Spirit just to prove they could? There's nothing Biblical about getting up in front of a crowd and muttering jibberish or falling down and rolling around like a lunitic.

Yes there may be a lot of people acting by flesh, but don't throw the baby out with the water here, the Spirit does come on strong sometimes.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
PujolsisbetterthanBonds said:
Let me ask you a couple of questions -- do you believe that because you experience something in a religious setting that it is always of God?
Of course not

do you believe that our experiences are a valid test of truth?
I think that they are a test but the word of God that is in the Bible is the ultimate test.

I'd like to address the Scriptures you've used, but first please answer these questions. Thanks.
Sure thing, you're welcome :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

greeker57married

Nov 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟15,772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nephilimiyr said:
Rev. 1:17 doesn't give a hint to whether John fell down at Jesus feet voluntarily or not so I don't think either one of us can say what exactly happend there for sure. The same goes for those other passages.

I went to Wiki and they gave Rev 1:17 as a possible "involuntary" slain in the Spirit but also gave 1 kings 8:10-11; Daniel 8:28, 10:8-11; Acts 9:3-4, 26:14 as possible events that show being slain in the spirit.

I don't have my Bible handy otherwise I would type them out, sorry.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last,

John was still concious, he simply was over awed at the presence of the living Christ. I still do not see how you can get slain in the Spirit out of this passage. Any doctrine is on shakey ground which does not have a sure, but supposable support in Scripture. I respect your opinion but cannot agree.

God Bless
John

p.S. I talked to a lady one day many years ago about this teaching. I told her I could not find it in Scripture. She responded you cannot put God in a box. Well, the Scriptures are not a box, but the inspired inerrant Word of God. Which is authoritative for faith and practice.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeker57married said:
Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last,

John was still concious, he simply was over awed at the presence of the living Christ. I still do not see how you can get slain in the Spirit out of this passage. Any doctrine is on shakey ground which does not have a sure, but supposable support in Scripture. I respect your opinion but cannot agree.
Thank you greeker57, I wasn't sure about the passage but you convinced me that this verse isn't showing John being slain in the spirit. You do realize I wasn't saying that it was showing that just that I wasn't sure.

p.S. I talked to a lady one day many years ago about this teaching. I told her I could not find it in Scripture. She responded you cannot put God in a box. Well, the Scriptures are not a box, but the inspired inerrant Word of God. Which is authoritative for faith and practice.
I agree with her and I do also respect your opinion.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
P

PujolsisbetterthanBonds

nephilimiyr said:
Of course not

Then could that experience have been Satanic? And how do you tell the difference?

The Corinthians were seriously confused about spritual gifts -- they were confusing the work of the Spirit with pagan ecstasies. That's one of the reasons Paul wrote to them, to correct their thinking and practice. Paul didn't want them to be ignorant concerning the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

I feel that ignorance of the gifts is what is dominating the modern day Charismatic and Pentecostal movements. I believe that because people are getting carried away just like the Corinthians did. 1 Cor. 12:2 -- "You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the dumb idols, however you were led." I believe that to be a reference to the paganism the Corinthians practiced before salvation. And Paul is telling them that their worship has led them astray, they've reverted back, or have mixed in their old practices of ecstacies along with Christian worship. And this was so confusing that no one could distinguish between what was divine and demonic. They were so eager to embrace the supernatural that they allowed anything to happen and the result was unholy chaos. Much like the video clip an earlier poster gave.

The true spiritual person is not someone who is swept away into ecstasies and emotional frenzies. When a person is out of control it is NEVER because of the Spirit. Scripture doesn't show us people out of control or falling in some sort of supernatural seizure while operating in the gifts of the Spirit. NOWHERE in Scripture does it teach that the Holy Spirit causes Christians to fall into a trance, faint, or lapse into frenzied behavior. The Bible teaches that the fruit of the Spirit is among other things "self control."

Things had gotten so bizarre that Paul says in 12:3 -- "Therefore I make known to you, that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, 'Jesus is accursed,' and no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit." People were standing up cursing Jesus and they did it all under the guise of spiritual manifestations.

This is the type of stuff that Satan has been counterfeiting ever since the supernatural sign gifts ceased in an attempt to cause confusion and chaos. But people still buy into it even today because they have EXPERIENCED it in a religious setting. The Word of God clearly teaches against such practices, historical evidence puts these practices of ecstacies in cultic worship, it's confusing and it categorizes God's people into the 'haves' and the 'have-nots.' If you HAVE these gifts you are automatically placed on another spiritual plane above the 'HAVE-NOTS.'

Being slain in the Spirit is not Biblical and not from God.

Go Cards!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

PujolsisbetterthanBonds

racer said:
Well, why do you believe that Pujols is better than Bonds? ;)

Would you like that list in alpabetical or numerical order? I could sum it up in two words -- talent and character. Albert will go down in history as one of the all time greats! Bonds on the other hand is just going down. I hope this new book that has just come out that details his steroid usage will put Barry out of baseball for good.

Now, back to my question -- why do you believe in being slain by the Spirit?

Go Cards!

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Would you like that list in alpabetical or numerical order? I could sum it up in two words -- talent and character. Albert will go down in history as one of the all time greats! Bonds on the other hand is just going down. I hope this new book that has just come out that details his steroid usage will put Barry out of baseball for good.

Well, my husband is a Pujols/Cardinal fan, too. ;)

Now, back to my question -- why do you believe in being slain by the Spirit?

Go Cards!

Well, for one, I am of Pentecostal belief, although I would say that I'm a skeptical Pentecostal. Also, because, I know a couple of very credible people who have both witnessed and experienced it. I haven't personally witnessed this happen, but I know that these people would not make these claims if they were untrue.

Upvote 0

Augustine_Was_Calvinist

Mar 16, 2004
✟6,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
jacquidube said:
Im not sure what to feel about being slain in the spirit. I went to another church last night and people were just falling down, apparently under the spirit of God. It felt to me like people were using their own emotions to let this happen to them. One person started then others followed. Some looked in pain............ mmmmmmmm. I dont know.
What are other peoples opinions on this please.

Here are a few Biblical examples of "being slain in the spirit".

The best one first;

Acts 5;

Acts 5

Lying to the Holy Spirit

1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”
5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.
7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”
She said, “Yes, for so much.”
9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

John 18

1 When Jesus had spoken these words, He went out with His disciples over the Brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which He and His disciples entered. 2 And Judas, who betrayed Him, also knew the place; for Jesus often met there with His disciples. 3 Then Judas, having received a detachment of troops, and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, came there with lanterns, torches, and weapons. 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him, went forward and said to them, “Whom are you seeking?”
5 They answered Him, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
Jesus said to them, “I am He.” And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. 6 Now when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

Anyone notice a common element?

That very same element is present in every scriptural example of "slain in the spirit".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.