May 16, 2005
✟7,717.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I knew about the other things mentioned, but does this verse mean, as it appears to, that a male with feminine personal characteristics needs to repent of them as sins?

1 Cor. 6:9-10, 'Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.'

jds1977

Dec 13, 2006
✟8,035.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

3120 malako,j
malakos {mal-ak-os'}​
Meaning:​
1) soft, soft to the touch 2) metaph. in a bad sense 2a) effeminate 2a1) of a catamite 2a2) of a boy kept for homosexual relations with a man 2a3) of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness 2a4) of a male prostitute​
Origin:​
of uncertain affinity;; adj​
Usage:​
AV - soft 3, effeminate 1; 4​
I don't think it's talking about someone who just acts a little "girly"

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

jds1977

Dec 13, 2006
✟8,035.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then what's the difference between effeminate and homosexual?
the word malakos could mean homosexual or could mean male prostitute (see quote above) however, the word for "abusers of themselves with mankind" is arsenokoites which does mean sodomites or homosexuals.

Upvote 0

VonBarnstejn

Feb 1, 2007
Chisholm Australian Capital Territory
✟7,706.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Paul first tells us that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God; then he teaches us what unrighteousness entails. Yes I would say that being 'effeminate' is a sin along with being a thief or a drunkard etc. The wages of sin are death; however, Christ Jesus has died in atonement for our sins, and we can be forgiven through the merit of Christ's life, sufferings, death and resurrection. Blessed are those who come to Jesus for forgiveness of their sins for they can be assured that the contrite sinner will indeed be forgiven. Try to live as in God's presence (Coram Deo) and you will be given strength to combat sin and to live a better life.

Chaplain
Grace Evangelical Ministries

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VonBarnstejn

Feb 1, 2007
Chisholm Australian Capital Territory
✟7,706.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So if a guy likes to cook or decorate that makes him effeminate, hence a sinner?

-A

The source text:1 Corinthians 6:9-10 KJV
:preach:
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The Ryrie Study Bible (KJV) has the following footnote on 1 Cor. 6:9 "effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, both expressions refer to homosexuals, the first to those who allow themselves to be used unnaturally, and the second to active homosexuals. Paul's warning was given against the background of incest, homosexuality, pederasty, and other unnatural sexual vices which were prevalent among the Greeks and Romans. Paul did not want Christianity confused with sects that permitted such things."
:)
The best chefs/cooks on the world are male, that [itself] does not make them effeminate.
If a husband cooks for his wife and family, that [itself] does not make him effeminate either.
If one of a group of soldiers does the cooking for his section that [itself] does not make him effeminate either.
A widower who lives by himself and does all the cooking and all the housework but he is not thereby effeminate.

So, my dear friend, cooking, decorating, being able to knit or crochet has nothing to do with being effeminate. It is the sexual lifestyle that is involved and determines the effeminacy!

Chaplain
Grace Evangelical Ministries

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I knew about the other things mentioned, but does this verse mean, as it appears to, that a male with feminine personal characteristics needs to repent of them as sins?

1 Cor. 6:9-10, 'Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.'
Some men are more soft spoken and
"in touch with their feminine side" just
as some women are more aggressive and
'masculine' acting.
I don't see how this would be sin at all.

Here's a little song you reminded me of.
:D
All God's creatures got a place in the
choir,
some sing low,
some sing higher.
Some sing outside on the telephone wire,
and some just clap their hands, paws,
or anything they got now.
:cool:

*takes a bow
sunlover

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't think it's talking about someone who just acts a little "girly"
I agree.
Apparently, effeminate did not mean then what it does now.

The ESV which is the most recent literal translation of the most recent critical text says this:

"(ESV) Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,"

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Then what's the difference between effeminate and homosexual?
effeminate = catamite
CATAMITE, n. A boy kept for unnatural purposes.

homosexual = sodomite
SOD'OMITE, n.
1. An inhabitant of Sodom.
2. One guilty of sodomy.SOD'OMY, n. A crime against nature.

These definitions are from Webster's 1828 Dictionary.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.