Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are several reasons to be opposed to baptismal regeneration. I'll mention just one to begin:

Baptism is analogous to the OT covenant sign of circumcision. Those who were circumcised in the OT were included in the covenant, but they were not regenerated by their circumcision. They were regenerated only by the working of the Spirit through faith in the circumcision of the heart. Baptism, likewise, does not itself regenerate apart from the Holy Spirit working through faith.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Let's first define what regeneration is. Could you explain how you understand the doctrine?
I would describe it as when we are transformed from a spiritually dead sinner at enmity with our Creator, and destined to an eternity under His wrath; to a place of being made spiritually alive, completely forgiven by our Creator, who is now our Heavenly Father, and destined to an eternity of the fullness of life to enjoy our inheritance as co-heirs with Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:4–7 (ESV)

4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Titus 3:4–7 (ESV)

4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There are several reasons to be opposed to baptismal regeneration. I'll mention just one to begin:

Baptism is analogous to the OT covenant sign of circumcision. Those who were circumcised in the OT were included in the covenant, but they were not regenerated by their circumcision. They were regenerated only by the working of the Spirit through faith in the circumcision of the heart. Baptism, likewise, does not itself regenerate apart from the Holy Spirit working through faith.

Thanks @Tree of Life I am in full agreement with you've said, but if that's the case, let's just open up the actual text of Scripture rather than just referring to it. First off, regarding the Abrahamic covenant, and circumcision being the sign.

Genesis 17:9–11 (ESV)

9 And God said to Abraham, “As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you.

Obviously to those who were the descendants of Abraham, the physical sign of circumcision would be the mark of them being truly a member of the covenant people of God, as is analogous of baptism under the New Covenant in Christ. I would agree that the outward act of either circumcision or baptism has no power to save us, but what of the consequence of rejecting the outward act? Wouldn't you agree that also the consequence of rejecting circumcision is analogous to rejecting baptism?

Genesis 17:14 (ESV)

14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

Is it really too big a leap to make to suggest that we cannot be spared from the eternal wrath of God against sin, whilst at the same time being outside of His covenant people? Whilst I fully agree that it is an underlying spiritual truth that holds the power of salvation, namely the shed blood of Christ for the sins of the world, what gives us confidence that blood has been truly applied to our own lives?

In a similar way, during the Passover when Israel was led out of Egypt, God attached a physical element to His promise to spare their firstborn while not sparing the firstborn of those outside the covenant. And whilst it was the promise of God that held the power, it was the physical element ordained by Him that connected His people to His promise. It was not sufficient to simply "have faith" they would be spared from His wrath.

Exodus 12:13 (ESV)

13 The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt.

The blood on the doorposts was a tangible sign given to those who would trust in His promise to spare them by His grace, not ancient GPS co-ordinates that God needed to guide His hand. They were clinging to the promise of God by embracing the sign He had attached to it.

So too with baptism under the New Covenant. We know and believe that the wrath of God will fall on this world at His appointed time. We know and believe that all those in Christ shall be spared His wrath on That Day. But what tangible sign are we to embrace in order to cling to the promise of God? In light of the fact that we daily know deep in our bones that we are sinful goats to the core, on what basis do we trust that on that Final Day, when the sheep are separated from the goats, that we personally shall be numbered with the sheep? How do we truly know that the underlying spiritual truth that holds the power of salvation, will be applied to us personally right when it counts? What sign has God given to us to embrace, that when the sky recedes like a scroll and all eyes see Christ returning with His angels and all the saints to judge the world, that we shall stand before God and be called His good and faithful servant?

Colossians 2:8–15 (ESV)

8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.

Romans 6:3–11 (ESV)

3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. 7 For one who has died has been set free from sin. 8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10 For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

To my knowledge, there is no other sign given in the New Testament that directly correlates to the spiritual truth of us being found in Christ, having already been united with Him in death, that we may also be united with Him in eternal life. In other words, baptism saves us because it is the tangible sign ordained by God and given to us, that directly connects us to the redeeming work of the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Isn't it typical of sinful man to seek to try and find his own way instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Why would God give us an ordinance without a sure promise associated with it? Does God's word return to himself empty?

We Lutherans do not believe that mere water regenerates anyone, but the sacrament consists of two elements, the water and the Word of God. Both are essential to the sacrament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why would God give us an ordinance without a sure promise associated with it? Does God's word return to himself empty?

We Lutherans do not believe that mere water regenerates anyone, but the sacrament consists of two elements, the water and the Word of God. Both are essential to the sacrament.

The sacrament is certainly a seal and God's promise is attached to it. But the baptized person must use their baptism by believing in order for the promise to do them any good. A baptized person who does not believe is not regenerated by baptism.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The sacrament is certainly a seal and God's promise is attached to it. But the baptized person must use their baptism by believing in order for the promise to do them any good. A baptized person who does not believe is not regenerated by baptism.

We mostly agree here, except we see belief as something that is passively received. We do not necessarily emphasize religious conversion as a sign of election.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We mostly agree here, except we see belief as something that is passively received. We do not necessarily emphasize religious conversion as a sign of election.

I have heard the Lutherans speak of infant faith!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I have heard the Lutherans speak of infant faith!

Yes, we do believe that infants that are candidates for baptism have faith. We do not consider faith reducible to intellectual assent. A candidate for baptism has a sponsor and/or their parents within the congregation who promises to help raise them in the faith. We generally only baptize within the context of the congregation.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you that many who have been baptized will perish due to a lack of faith in the promise of salvation. However I would like to ask if you would agree that it is necessary to be found in Christ in order to share in His resurrection life? And if your answer is yes, is there anything other than baptism within the New Testament that directly connects the believer with the reality of being found in Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you that many who have been baptized will perish due to a lack of faith in the promise of salvation. However I would like to ask if you would agree that it is necessary to be found in Christ in order to share in His resurrection life? And if your answer is yes, is there anything other than baptism within the New Testament that directly connects the believer with the reality of being found in Him?

Yes we must be found in Christ. And yes baptism unites us to Christ. But baptism does not unite us to Christ apart from faith. This is why I think baptismal regeneration is misleading. It suggests that baptism without faith regenerates a person.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why do you believe they have faith?
Why is it so inconceivable that an infant can receive the gift of faith? Especially considering that faith is a gift to all who believe Eph 2:8-9, without that gift it is impossible to please God Heb 11:6, and salvation is a promise that includes them Acts 2:39.

As to whether that faith can be shipwrecked later in life is a whole other question, and one best left for another thread (please do not use the subject to hijack this one).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why is it so inconceivable that an infant can receive the gift of faith? Especially considering that faith is a gift to all who believe Eph 2:8-9, without that gift it is impossible to please God Heb 11:6, and salvation is a promise that includes them Acts 2:39.

As to whether that faith can be shipwrecked later in life is a whole other question, and one best left for another thread (please do not use the subject to hijack this one).

It is not inconceivable that an infant could be regenerate and have faith. I'm simply asking why you believe that a baptized infant certainly does have faith.

Upvote 0

John the Ex-Baptist

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Southampton
Visit site
✟82,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is why I think baptismal regeneration is misleading. It suggests that baptism without faith regenerates a person.
Believe me when I say that I have stood in your position for many years, but can honestly say now that it is not the doctrine itself, but my own understanding of the doctrine that caused the issue. So much so that I myself withheld the sacrament of baptism from my own daughter for many years to prove the point!

The reality is however, that those who hold to this doctrine faithfully, do not suggest at all that baptism without faith regenerates a person. Neither would we suggest that faith without repentance saves us, but rather both are crucial in order for our baptism to be effective.

What the Bible tells us though, is both faith and repentance are gifts given by God to those He calls. Who are we to suggest that He does not give these gifts freely to those He has promised salvation to? Which includes adult and child alike, along with all who are far off.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Believe me when I say that I have stood in your position for many years, but can honestly say now that it is not the doctrine itself, but my own understanding of the doctrine that caused the issue. So much so that I myself withheld the sacrament of baptism from my own daughter for many years to prove the point!

The reality is however, that those who hold to this doctrine faithfully, do not suggest at all that baptism without faith regenerates a person. Neither would we suggest that faith without repentance saves us, but rather both are crucial in order for our baptism to be effective.

What the Bible tells us though, is both faith and repentance are gifts given by God to those He calls. Who are we to suggest that He does not give these gifts freely to those He has promised salvation to? Which includes adult and child alike, along with all who are far off.

That sounds like my view. But I don't call my view baptismal regeneration.

Upvote 0