United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Something that's been on my mind as of late, but is baptism a "work?"

As Protestants and also Baptists, we believe faith alone saves, and one cannot earn their salvation through works.

If the rite of baptism saves, does that make our salvation dependent on works? Are confessing sins and prayers also works?

Some Protestants argue that baptism is a requirement for salvation and deny that it is a work or that you earn your salvation. The reasoning, as far as I can understand, is that the salvation process is a work of God, and nothing we do, and that water baptism is a passive act of faith. God is doing all of the work, and He is asking from us is to perform a simple ordinance/sacrament.

I can accept water baptism as being necessary for salvation in the sense that it is a command from God, and someone who claims to be a Christian but willfully rejects baptism probably was not genuinely regenerated or repentant, but I think one is justified and regenerated before they are baptized.

What are your thoughts?

I know this is the Baptist part of the forum, but I'm open to other Protestants contributing to this thread, but I'm also interested in the Baptist perspective, as well. If there's a better place for the thread, it's fine to move it.

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

As Protestants and also Baptists, we believe faith alone saves, and one cannot earn their salvation through works.

If the rite of baptism saves, does that make our salvation dependent on works? Are confessing sins and prayers also works?

Some Protestants argue that baptism is a requirement for salvation and deny that it is a work or that you earn your salvation. The reasoning, as far as I can understand, is that the salvation process is a work of God, and nothing we do, and that water baptism is a passive act of faith. God is doing all of the work, and He is asking from us is to perform a simple ordinance/sacrament.

I can accept water baptism as being necessary for salvation in the sense that it is a command from God, and someone who claims to be a Christian but willfully rejects baptism probably was not genuinely regenerated or repentant, but I think one is justified and regenerated before they are baptized.

What are your thoughts?

I know this is the Baptist part of the forum, but I'm open to other Protestants contributing to this thread, but I'm also interested in the Baptist perspective, as well. If there's a better place for the thread, it's fine to move it.

What is Baptism?

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

It is not a work.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Hardly any denomination/church teaches that Baptism saves or even that it's a requirement for salvation.

On the other matter, Baptism is not considered a work. I have heard people say "But I have to show up and let myself get wet so aren't I working, acting, doing something by cooperating?"

No, when we say "works" or "good works" it's a theological concept that we are referring to. Works means doing something that is meritorious, that wins the favor of God. Helping others, being charitable, and such things are typically called "works." Some people also would add that doing various religious devotional acts like making a pilgrimage or saying certain prayers, or even being Baptized, are to be considered "works" as well.

But almost all (not quite all) Protestants reject the idea that faith and works together merit salvation for the believer. They believe instead that NONE of those works enhance our chances with God (although a true follower of Jesus will want to do good works) and that it is only by Grace through Faith that we may be saved.

is the Baptist part of the forum, but I'm open to other Protestants contributing to this thread, but I'm also interested in the Baptist perspective, as well. If there's a better place for the thread, it's fine to move it.

Thank you for this.

• Winner
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What are your thoughts?

Back in my evangelical (specifically, Southern Baptist) days, baptism was ordinarily presented as "following Our Lord's example". I wouldn't presume to know what all Baptists teach on the subject. But at least the Southern Baptist understanding of baptism is that it's a visible sign of salvation that has already come.

Iow, saving faith is the cause and immersive baptism is the effect as per my understanding of mainstream Southern Baptist teaching.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Baptism for me, is the celebration you have accepted the lord Jesus Christ as your savior and you believe in his finish work on the cross. It isnt necessary, but it is like a birthday without a cake. Atleast for me, it is something every new born believer should look foward to do.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
water baptism is the "outword confession" to the inner removal of ones sins. Baptism CANNOT save anyone, as some erroneously teach. It is ONLY by confessions of ones personal sins to the Lord Jesus Christ, and belief in His Atoning Death on the Cross, and His Blood that ALONE can cleanse from sins and make a sinner a new person, Justified before the God of the Holy Bible.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For what reason do Anglicans baptize infants then?
About the same as in your church.

But when people ask if it's necessary in order to be saved, they are asking if it is impossible to be saved if you are NOT baptized. Neither of our churches say that.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
About the same as in your church.

But when people ask if it's necessary in order to be saved, they are asking if it is impossible to be saved if you are NOT baptized. Neither of our churches say that.
Got it. Thanks. I thought that you were saying that Anglicans hold that baptism does not save.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What are your thoughts?

Water baptism is an outward profession...yes this is a "work" but ineffectual for salvation

Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the actual saving saving act which is performed by God and not by us.

Upvote 0