Is anyone here a Cumberland Presbyterian?

raschau

homo viator
Apr 15, 2017
SW Indiana
✟32,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Now that the United Methodist Church is doomed, I am thinking about affiliating with a local CP church. I like their denominational Confession of Faith and the statements of belief that I've read on various congregational websites. Can anyone share some experiences? Did you find a broad range of ages, or was it mostly oldsters? How was the exegesis? My concern, living here in the Upland South, is that they will have too much of a Southern Baptist flavor.

(Not wanting to waste any Calvinist's time responding, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church is essentially Arminian and is effectively Presbyterian in polity only, although some congregations are more Reformed-leaning than others.)

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thinking that you might have a little wait for a reply here, let me say that I have never lived near a Cumberland Presbyterian congregation but I believe that the best way to get a line on any church is to visit.

I am sure that you will get a good feel for their style, observe some things that books don't always pick up on, and also sense whether the local characteristics are okay with you--the makeup of the congregation, the friendliness of the people or not, the quality of the sermon, etc.

Upvote 0

raschau

homo viator
Apr 15, 2017
SW Indiana
✟32,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thinking that you might have a little wait for a reply here, let me say that I have never lived near a Cumberland Presbyterian congregation but I believe that the best way to get a line on any church is to visit.

I am sure that you will get a good feel for their style, observe some things that books don't always pick up on, and also sense whether the local characteristics are okay with you--the makeup of the congregation, the friendliness of the people or not, the quality of the sermon, etc.

I was thinking this as I wrote my post. I'm a weenie -- I'll go ahead and admit it. Thankfully Easter is coming up, which would be a good motivator to pop in and check them out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is intimidating, I know. But churches say they are open to all, so a good mindset to put yourself into is that you just felt like visiting--no more elaborate explanations needed if someone asks. Most will not go that far.

The Easter idea is a good one, though.

Reactions: raschau
Upvote 0