Is Anybody bummed out that the tokyao Olympic Games are not happening?

shortangel

Oct 12, 2005
Oregon
✟19,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
is anynone bummed out that the Olympic Games are not happening this year the games have been postponed until 2021, what events were you looking forward to? I was looking forward to seeing swimming & gymnastics, I was also looking forward to seeing artstic swimming too

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is anynone bummed out that the Olympic Games are not happening this year the games have been postponed until 2021, what events were you looking forward to? I was looking forward to seeing swimming & gymnastics, I was also looking forward to seeing artstic swimming too
Probably the ventilator factories........

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am bummed out.... I want to see sports with social distancing in them.
Imagine a football or basketball game with social distancing "rules" that would be fun to watch (for awhile).
Hard to imagine that being possible with football, but it is entirely conceivable with basketball. Well, not entirely conceivable but theoretically possible. ;)

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Hard to imagine that being possible with football, but it is entirely conceivable with basketball. Well, not entirely conceivable but theoretically possible. ;)
Football would only require the defensive players to stand 11 feet apart in a line to stop movement that direction while basketball would probably turn into more of a game of long shots as the defense packs the zone under the basket most shots would be over 12 foot.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Football would only require the defensive players to stand 11 feet apart in a line to stop movement that direction while basketball would probably turn into more of a game of long shots as the defense packs the zone under the basket most shots would be over 12 foot.
Yes, but that means that basketball could be played. And there would be the occasional faking out of some defender, allowing some penetration inside the three-point line.

If the idea of placing football players 11 feet apart and stationary were employed, how could there even be a game?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, but that means that basketball could be played. And there would be the occasional faking out of some defender, allowing some penetration inside the three-point line.
How do you "fake out" a defender that stands 6 feet away when you stand still he can't move towards you do to "social distancing" Most likely all shots will be 3 pointers.
If the idea of placing football players 11 feet apart and stationary were employed, how could there even be a game?
The only thing you could do is punt and try to make very long field goals I would think

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you "fake out" a defender that stands 6 feet away when you stand still he can't move towards you do to "social distancing" Most likely all shots will be 3 pointers.
Why assume that everybody would be stationary? I envision this hypothetical kind of replacement for basketball as we've known it being something like water polo in which the players are generally on the move, and that would be possible without violating the six foot rule.

The only thing you could do is punt and try to make very long field goals I would think
That's about what I was thinking, too, except that all the field goal attempts would have to be from the team's own half of the field. (!) That's unless, of course, the rules were changed even more substantially.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Why assume that everybody would be stationary? I envision this hypothetical kind of replacement for basketball as we've known it being something like water polo in which the players are generally on the move, and that would be possible without violating the six foot rule.
Not stationary but with 5 people spread out and not violating 6 foot apart rule it would be hard to get
close to the basket as fast breaking you can't blow past anyone you have to go out and around them.
That's about what I was thinking, too, except that all the field goal attempts would have to be from the team's own half of the field. (!) That's unless, of course, the rules were changed even more substantially.
I'm guessing either players would have to don space suits or rules would have to be changed as there would be no tackling or touching at all.
Anyway this isn't about the olympics I think they would have problems with SD (Social Distancing) in them too as many sports have athletes side by side and imagine a relay race where the baton is 6 feet long....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not stationary but with 5 people spread out and not violating 6 foot apart rule it would be hard to get
close to the basket as fast breaking you can't blow past anyone you have to go out and around them.
Well, I said nothing about fast breaks or layups, etc., just that there would probably be some movement and if so some shots would be possible from inside the 3-point line.

Maybe the teams would be reduced to four players, to make this more do-able.

But to make football work, almost everything would have to be changed and it would still be impossible. That's my view of it, anyway.

Upvote 0