Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A man IS lower than the angels, until he repents of his sin, I would say.
The passage is referring to Jesus, not to men in general.

If there is some question, verse 9 makes it clear:

9 But we behold him who hath been made a little lower than the angels, [even] Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that by the grace of God he should taste of death for every [man].

• Agree
Reactions: BlindAutist
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

9 But we behold him who hath been made a little lower than the angels, [even] Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that by the grace of God he should taste of death for every [man].
You think Jesus is beneath the angels?

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You would say, not the Bible. In verse 9 the word "even" was added by the translators (bracketed) and this was referring to Jesus as a human, not as God. You can see this in context if you look at the entire verse.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Since you ask, Dreadnaught, I agree with the Bible that Jesus, the man, was made lower than the angels in that he was a real man. He also was God the Son who was not created at all. The passage makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Since you ask, Dreadnaught, I agree with the Bible that Jesus, the man, was made lower than the angels in that he was a real man. He also was God the Son who was not created at all. The passage makes perfect sense.
But that does not further define "angel."

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We really haven't defined what angels are, have we? I can't prove my belief that angels are people who've repented of their sin, and I'm not aware that you can disprove it.
This scripture may help you out then. We, humans, when we die, will be greater than the angels.
We will even judge them on their performances in the end.

Angels are above us now, but will serve us later.

Hebrews 1:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

And in this scripture....

1 Corinthians 6:2-4 King James Version (KJV)

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
This scripture may help you out then. We, humans, when we die, will be greater than the angels.
We will even judge them on their performances in the end.

Angels are above us now, but will serve us later.

Hebrews 1:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

And in this scripture....

1 Corinthians 6:2-4 King James Version (KJV)

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
The scripture that we shall judge angels is evidence angels are some of the people among us.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The scripture that we shall judge angels is evidence angels are some of the people among us.
Maybe this will help.... but, if you are determined to think that we become angels, when we die... then who is judging who?

Anyway..we are lower than the angels now... and when we have salvation and go to heaven.. we will be greater than them, even to the point of judging them. They will serve us..

Psalm 8:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

So, that leaves some questions..
1/Who is it that dies, becomes an angel and is judged by us?
2/ Who is it that dies, becomes an angel and serves us?
3/ How are we lower than angels now... achieve salvation, then become angels and then, somehow, at the same time... judges of angels... if we are also angels.

Ponder this:

In Ephes. 1:20-21 he said when the Lord was resurrected He was seated at the right hand of the Father far above all all authority, power, and dominion (angelic ranks). In Ephes. 2:6 he said God has raised us up and seated us with Jesus in the heavenly realms. That means after the resurrection/rapture we’ll be elevated above the angels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

betterorworse

Mar 21, 2018
somewhere
✟18,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We have the Holy Spirit. We have angels. We have a spirit given to each and everyone of us. There seems to be a clear distinction yet.... the question remains. Is an angel a spirit?

With God all thing's are possible.

Upvote 0

BlindAutist

Aug 21, 2018
Devon
Visit site
✟7,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am at work right now and answering your question will take some digging.
There is no bible scripture to indicate where demons came from. However, there are texts out there that give us a very good explanation that fits with the biblical narrative.
As for the other qualities and aspects of angels.. I will do some digging when I get home.

In the meantime... check out this article.

https://blog.logos.com/2015/10/where-do-demons-come-from/

This article mentions the controversial event of "the son's of God" taking human women for their wives.

Many, including myself, believe that these "son's of God" were fallen angels. But, that is a whole other can of worms.

Anyway, Give it a read and see if it helps. I will search for the other things later.

Thank you I will read this. Yes I'm familiar with the books of Enoch and the Genesis story of the Nephilim (sp?) impregnating human women and creating the tribes of Giants that God later ordered the Israelites to kill. It's fascinating!

Interesting article I'm half way through it, shame about the self promotion throughout though!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

BlindAutist

Aug 21, 2018
Devon
Visit site
✟7,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that it says anywhere that Jesus was slightly below the angels. I believe that it says that it is man that was made slightly lower than the angels but it also says that someday that man will be above the angels. Not Jesus though.

I was thinking of Hebrews 2:9 in particular, "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man." Jesus being the Word of God and not created as the angels were created was with God and God in the beginning so was always above the angels, but chose to become lower than the angels for our salvation's sake and now he is raised above the angels once more, and as he is, so we will be. Mark 16:19 "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God." Surely such a position is higher even than the archangels. 2nd in command, 2nd person in the trinity. 2nd only to God the Father.

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was thinking of Hebrews 2:9 in particular, "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man." Jesus being the Word of God and not created as the angels were created was with God and God in the beginning so was always above the angels, but chose to become lower than the angels for our salvation's sake and now he is raised above the angels once more, and as he is, so we will be. Mark 16:19 "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God." Surely such a position is higher even than the archangels. 2nd in command, 2nd person in the trinity. 2nd only to God the Father.
Authority is in himself to give.
Yeshua is King of kings.

How many crowns have you seen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe this will help.... but, if you are determined to think that we become angels, when we die... then who is judging who?

Anyway..we are lower than the angels now... and when we have salvation and go to heaven.. we will be greater than them, even to the point of judging them. They will serve us..

Psalm 8:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

So, that leaves some questions..
1/Who is it that dies, becomes an angel and is judged by us?
2/ Who is it that dies, becomes an angel and serves us?
3/ How are we lower than angels now... achieve salvation, then become angels and then, somehow, at the same time... judges of angels... if we are also angels.

Ponder this:

In Ephes. 1:20-21 he said when the Lord was resurrected He was seated at the right hand of the Father far above all all authority, power, and dominion (angelic ranks). In Ephes. 2:6 he said God has raised us up and seated us with Jesus in the heavenly realms. That means after the resurrection/rapture we’ll be elevated above the angels.
I'm not saying we have to die to become angels. I'm suggesting maybe when we repent we become angels.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
No, it is evidence that we shall judge the angels, that's all.
It isn't proof, but it is evidence that angels are repentant people - the fact that we might judge angels here on earth.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It isn't proof, but it is evidence that angels are repentant people - the fact that we might judge angels here on earth.
really?? Nowhere is it found that humans become angels.

2 Timothy 2:12: “If we endure with him, we will also reign with him.”
Revelation 3:21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Scripture teaches that the fallen angels will be judged by God (Isaiah 24:21-22; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 1:6; Revelation 21:10). But what does Paul mean when he says the saints will also judge angels?

Greek word for “judge,” krino, means “to rule or govern.” Yeshua has been exalted above all the angels (see Ephesians 1:20-23), and it seems reasonable that those who are in Him and made in His likeness (Romans 8:29; 1 Corinthians 15:49; Ephesians 4:24; 1 John 3:2) will share in His authority, including His authority over the angels (Matthew 19:28; 2 Timothy 2:12; Revelation 20:4).

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
really?? Nowhere is it found that humans become angels.

2 Timothy 2:12: “If we endure with him, we will also reign with him.”
Revelation 3:21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Scripture teaches that the fallen angels will be judged by God (Isaiah 24:21-22; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 1:6; Revelation 21:10). But what does Paul mean when he says the saints will also judge angels?

Greek word for “judge,” krino, means “to rule or govern.” Yeshua has been exalted above all the angels (see Ephesians 1:20-23), and it seems reasonable that those who are in Him and made in His likeness (Romans 8:29; 1 Corinthians 15:49; Ephesians 4:24; 1 John 3:2) will share in His authority, including His authority over the angels (Matthew 19:28; 2 Timothy 2:12; Revelation 20:4).
I haven't seen any solid proof either way.

Upvote 0