Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Responding to post by Redeemed1

So, you are saying that only the 4 Gospels can actually be believed as scripture? ". I say no such thing. Much of what is written is repeated by different authors, in individual verses or passages. Anything of significance certainly, and particularly when it is a matter that impacts upon doctrine (in support) will have more than one witness. Nor do I make a fetish of demanding two witnesses. If a claim is made, in the absence of conflicting claims, I will accept it - if only on proviso.

And I think the fact that Paul clarifies in Corinthians that a statement he is making is from him and not God, should show that the rest of his letters ARE of God's inspiration, otherwise why would he have to clarify it to them? I could as easily use this same claim, given that one paragraph, between the two that I mentioned, states specifically "I say, yet not I, but God", to show that the rest of his letters are NOT from God. One claim is as valid as the other - and either claim is wholly invalid.

And you are telling me that the instructions for the church then are not instruction for the church today. How do you come up with that? Where does it say that? What year was the cutoff date for those instructions? Well now, the claim that everything that Paul wrote is scripture is the same as a claim for Papal infallibility - assuming that the Pope is in fact a man of God. I do not subscribe to the concept of Papal infallibility. But even the concept of Papal infallibility only extends to matters directly involving faith and morals - and maintaining good order in a church does not fall under that umbrella. You will note that Paul ascribes as one of the reasons for his instructions regarding women - the man was not deceived, but the woman, being deceived, fell into transgression . Doesn't it strike you as strange that in support of his edicts, Paul resorts to the Hellenistic (Greek) account of the fall, not the Biblical account - which latter ascribes fault for the fall to both the man and the woman? My claim is based simply on the fact that even Paul acknowledged the existence of a woman who was an apostle (highest human authority in the church), Acts recognises four women who were prophetesses (second highest human rank) and Acts makes mention of a woman who actively engaged in teaching a man who himself was already active as an evangelist. Prophetesses were known in the Old Testament times, and a woman (Deborah) was appointed by God as a judge in Israel (equivalent in rank to an apostle), this same woman, being stated in the Bible to have given orders to a man, himself a prophet.

I apologize for seeming contentious, I am not offended but you most likely feel absolutely no contrition for what you have posted. You do not SEEM contentious about this matter, you ARE contentious. Nor are these statements a criticism of your attitude - being contentious and challenging my statements is entirely noteworthy as being right and proper. given the circumstances.

what I am hearing from you is that you will pick and choose which scriptures you will believe to be from God, in order to justify your position. My dear sir, you seem to be wholly unaware that in saying "everything in the Bible is scripture" - or - "everything in the Bible is scripture except when the Bible says outright that it is not scripture" you are yourself deciding what you will believe to be from God. Deciding for one's self what one will accept as being from God is inescapable. To wit, your claim that what one witness says is from God ignores the reiterated Biblical declaration that every fact is established on the testimony of two or more reliable witnesses How can you say that you believe everything in the Bible is scripture (with the codicil of course) and then ignore the Biblical declaration of how a matter is shown to be factual?

I think this subject has been debated enough. My position is clear, as is yours. I will not move from "should women be pastors" into "the Word of God isn't REALLY the Word of God". Can you support your belief with anything concrete from the Bible, that "everything in the Bible is scripture, except when the Bible itself declares that a thing is not from God."?

Jo 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Jo 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
I say the whole King James vs. Holy Bible is scripture kivver to kivverr. It is also in this Bible that Jesus states that "in the volume of the Book it is written of Him"

The thing we must learn and pray for is to rightly divide the Word of Truth-- of the Old and of the New and of the same God today and yesterday and forever, and Salvation only in and through His Son Jesus.

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
I believe that the King James Version is the words of God without error or contradiction. Preserved pure by God Himself.

Psalm 12
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the King James Version is the words of God without error or contradiction. Preserved pure by God Himself.

Can I ask why you say that? That's not something I have heard a lot of...so I was wondering if you were taught that or read it somewhere. :)

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by edjones

Psalm 12
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

I gather that you are a 'KJV Only' advocate?
I disagree with your thesis. The KJV or any other version is not inerrant as the autographa was. We can be certain we have God's word today, but it is not perfect in the sense you are expounding. I believe that the NKJV is more accurate than the KJV is, but it is not worth dividing over. Textual criticism is a huge hornet's nest to get into.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by thedoc
Sorry if this is off the subject, but I'm always curious to hear why people feel that the only scripture is KJV. Please enlighten me edjones.

If I may Doc, I'll give you a quick rundown.
There are people who are, "KJV Only" advocates and they believe the Byzantine manuscripts which were used in the translation of the KJV are more "pure" than the Alexandrian manuscripts and others used in the translation of the NASB, NIV and others. There are some that take this 'KJV Only' position to the point of being cultic and say that other versions are of the devil, etc. I think it's rediculous.

God Bless

Upvote 0
Hey foks.

This is my first post on this board, so I'll be commenting with absolutely no idea of what was previosly discussed. I'm a Parlor transfer as many others appear to be.

I noticed in your OP Thunder a tendancy to equate "scripture" with the literal "Word of God". It is not. Before I get banned before I really start, let me clarify.

Scripture is:
1. a) A sacred writing or book.
b) A passage from such a writing or book.
2. The sacred writings of the Bible. Often used in the plural. Also called Holy Scriptures.
3. A statement regarded as authoritative.

The "Word of God", perhaps words of God to be more concise, were spoken be Jesus, and on the odd occasion when He need something really important communicated in the OT.

It seems to me that your contention is that not all the Bible is "Word of God". That is true if the above is taken to be foundational to your posite. However, all scripture is inspired (God breathed if the aramaic concerns you) by God and profitable...

Again if the above is the basis for your arguement, then that also is true. Unless you believe that that specific reference is not in itself inspired.

Was all the scripture writ by the hand of God? No.
Is all the Bible scripture? If you accept the definition of scripture, then Yes.

As to the KJ only debate, I have neither the time nor the patience to comment. It is the folly of man, the quibling over words.

Matt.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do we accept that all scripture is inspired by God? So it is written, so I believe.

Are there errors, contradictions, eyewitness accounts, and personal opinion in the Bible? Personal opinion is stated by the Bible itself to be included. Errors and contradictions (few though they are) are easily demonstrated to exist - and as for eyewitness accounts - Is there a Biblical commentator who does not ascribe at least some of the contradictions to the fact that these are only the variations to be expected of eyewitness accounts?

But surely errors and contradictions would not be inspired by God. Or so I believe, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
It only seems that there are errors and contradictions if read in parts as opposed to the whole.
Also, if any part of the Word is in error, which part and who will decide which is not?
It must be looked upon as a completed painting, rather than picking and choosing parts, sections, chapters, and verses. Although using those to support an argument is not out of line.

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
If the KJV is the words of God (no doubt in my mind) then there would be no errors or contradictions.

And there is none.

The burden of proff lies with the unbeliever, if there is an error or contradiction, list it.

Psalm 12

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If the KJV is the words of God (no doubt in my mind) then there would be no errors or contradictions.

Aha... and no errors in translation either, if the claim be true. How then is it that the AV translates "deisidaimonestros"- giving reverence to the gods, pious, religious (very or extremely even) - as "too superstitious?"

Even if one accepts Strong's definition that the term can be translated as "too superstitious*," the passage at Acts 17:22-23 makes no sense gramatically if that definition is used. That very lack of grammatical sense is what made me look up the Greek in the first place - I couldn't make sense of the passage as it was rendered in English. And it was the first of many occasions that I had to resort to the Greek, either because the passage being reviewed was grammatical nonsense (rare), or because the eight versions of the Bible that I use in study disagreed among themselves regarding the correct translation for the passage. Oddly enough - if a majority of mass market Bibles are agreed, that majority is almost without exception correct - and more often than not - by a large margin - the NAS will be in that majority. The AV runs a creditable second.

* The definition shows only that the term is translated as "too superstitious" in the AV (among other versions). Tracing the etymology of the word does not acceed to that definition, nor does Young's agree with Strong's, showing "much given to reverence" as the meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hi Thunderchild:

You said >

Oddly enough - if a majority of mass market Bibles are agreed, that majority is almost without exception correct - and more often than not - by a large margin - the NAS will be in that majority. The AV runs a creditable second.

That is not the proper way to determind, if one translation is better than another. And it is not the way in which to determind as to whether or not something said in the scriputes can be trusted, from a paticular translation. Especially the KJV , which used the Major manuscripts to do their translation from, while a lot of the modern day translations, like the NIV etc. used the minor manuscripts to do their translations from. So stacking bibles up agains one another, is not the way to come up with a correct answer !!

The KJV is head over heals more accurate than any modern day translation !! The KJV never comes in second !

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If I list the error, Ed Jones, it will rob people of the opportunity to look for themselves to see if what is written is a contradiction. While you are correct in stating that I must present my case - you are not free to dictate the terms that I must agree to in presenting that case.

But I will ask another question or three....

Did Jesus clear the temple on Palm Sunday, or did he clear the temple the day after Palm Sunday?

Did Jesus curse the fig tree before he cleared the temple, or did he clear the temple before he cursed the fig tree?

Did one of the criminals crucified alongside Jesus repent, or did both criminals revile Jesus?

How many "visitors" did Mary meet at the tomb on the morning of the day of resurrection?

Were these visitor/s present when Mary arrived at the tomb, or did they arrive after she did?

Was Mary outside the tomb when he/they spoke to her, or inside?

Before posting answers to the questions, make sure you look up all the gospels to determine the answers. Don't use just one. And yes, feel free to use the AV.

Upvote 0
I have looked up all the passages, and there were four crucified with Christ, making him five. He was in the "midst" and there were two on his left and two on his right. I could give all the references, but most people believe in the pictures they adorn in their homes, or in their churchs.

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
You still haven't shown an error or contradiction in the KJV.

Ed

Psalm 12

Psalm 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

-------------waiting...........................

--------------still waiting............................

-------------certaintly you can find something online to paste in?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.