Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"What I actually find interesting is that when people are trying to minimize what they themselves call a male sin, they usually try to claim that other sins that they term as female sins, are just as bad."

And the same is true, and has been demonstrated many times, in reverse (certainly both ways), right?

Oh wow. The irony is too much.

To respond to "some people try to minimize by pointing to other people's sins" with "other people do that too" is too much irony.

Is it on purpose?

Upvote 0

favoritetoyisjoy

Nov 12, 2004
✟21,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh wow. The irony is too much.

To respond to "some people try to minimize by pointing to other people's sins" with "other people do that too" is too much irony.

Is it on purpose?

I don't personally have any problem with people pointing out sin by either gender, I'm not saying it's wrong, even though it can seem like a broken record. If it's OK for one it's OK for the other. That is the point I tried to make. Did I seem to defend men's use of inappropriate content somehow or minimize it as sin?

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't personally have any problem with people pointing out sin by either gender, I'm not saying it's wrong, even though it can seem like a broken record. If it's OK for one it's OK for the other. That is the point I tried to make. Did I seem to defend men's use of inappropriate content somehow or minimize it as sin?

Why is it that some people are so focused on getting others to understand the point they are trying to make that they spend little to no time trying to understand the points others are trying to make?

Your post to which I responded was doing exactly the thing that Romans was talking about: responding to "this is wrong" with "but other people do wrong too".

It's passing the buck, shifting the blame.

When your response to "some people try to shift blame and shouldn't" is MORE blame shifting, then you've MISSED THE POINT.

Upvote 0

favoritetoyisjoy

Nov 12, 2004
✟21,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that some people are so focused on getting others to understand the point they are trying to make that they spend little to no time trying to understand the points others are trying to make?

Your post to which I responded was doing exactly the thing that Romans was talking about: responding to "this is wrong" with "but other people do wrong too".

It's passing the buck, shifting the blame.

So where was the buck in the first place and where or with whom had the blame been originally placed? Wherever it was, would this excuse the sin or accountability of whoever put it there?

When your response to "some people try to shift blame and shouldn't" is MORE blame shifting, then you've MISSED THE POINT.

Doesn't the OP establish what the point is? Was it about inappropriate contentography (male sin), or all sin?

The OP is "Is all sin equal?" The OP in the first post does not mention inappropriate contentography or male sins exclusively, but several things, including romance novels. In post #25 and #39 she is discussing erotic literature and mentions the fantasizing about other people, and in posts #50 and #67 she quotes herself as saying that she sees no distinction between erotic fiction and pictoral inappropriate content. (Some romantic novels are erotic, right?)

Considering the title of the thread and content by the OP, I don't think I violated the OP by my opinion at all, and neither passed the buck or shifted any blame.

Use of some romance novels, erotic literature, and inappropriate content can lead to lust/coveting and/or adultry of the heart/mind by either gender, it is all sinful, and that was my point. I didn't minimize or maximize the sin of either gender.

Or is the real problem some sort of first mention protocol, the pot called the stove black first so the pot gets immunity from accountability?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Romans, I had/have no intention of minimizing or maximizing sin by anyone or either gender (did I seem to be doing that?). I've never seen the point I made about women's fantasizing brought out, although it may have been. But I've seen the men's use of inappropriate content thing ground to powder, did I do anyone dirt in making the point that I did? Did I gossip?

"What I actually find interesting is that when people are trying to minimize what they themselves call a male sin, they usually try to claim that other sins that they term as female sins, are just as bad."

And the same is true, and has been demonstrated many times, in reverse (certainly both ways), right?

My point was that I don't consider lust to be a male sin at all. Lust is a human sin. That's the only point that I was really trying to make.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes......I don't want there to be a problem with reading explicit sex scenes in the context of real love, because that's what SOS is. As I have said several times.....other than that, I don't read romantic fiction or erotic fiction, so I have little knowledge as to what the content is. I know enough to make a distinction between genuine love and lust (sex minus genuine love), though.
Going with the idea that SoS is arousing(even though I don't believe it is) for a second here consider this. If I'm reading you correctly the reason this isn't a problem is because it's a description of the physical aspect of Godly love between husband and wife. It's a description of good Godly sex.

Ok so, how often are the explicit scenes in modern "romantic" fiction taking place in such a context? In the context of a loving or Godly marriage? I'd feel pretty safe in saying it's rather rare at best.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Going with the idea that SoS is arousing(even though I don't believe it is) for a second here consider this. If I'm reading you correctly the reason this isn't a problem is because it's a description of the physical aspect of Godly love between husband and wife. It's a description of good Godly sex.

Ok so, how often are the explicit scenes in modern "romantic" fiction taking place in such a context? In the context of a loving or Godly marriage? I'd feel pretty safe in saying it's rather rare at best.
You are correct.....that's the dividing line I draw in my mind. When it's in the context of a genuine loving relationship, I don't feel it's a distortion. It's important to me to keep the aspects of love genuine in my mind.

This is from SOS....if this were about a couple that's dating.....personally, I don't have an issue with it (some may, as they don't believe in kissing prior to marriage). The thing is......it's not so much ABOUT the physical.....it's communicating the love and honor (and the physical is an outward expression of that). I can't answer you on "how often" because, as I have said before, I don't read too much fiction at all.

“[b]May he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth!
For your love is better than wine.
3 “Your oils have a pleasing fragrance,
Your name is like [c]purified oil;
Therefore the [d] maidens love you.
4 “Draw me after you and let us run together!

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are correct.....that's the dividing line I draw in my mind. When it's in the context of a genuine loving relationship, I don't feel it's a distortion. It's important to me to keep the aspects of love genuine in my mind.

This is from SOS....if this were about a couple that's dating.....personally, I don't have an issue with it (some may, as they don't believe in kissing prior to marriage). The thing is......it's not so much ABOUT the physical.....it's communicating the love and honor (and the physical is an outward expression of that). I can't answer you on "how often" because, as I have said before, I don't read too much fiction at all.

In every scene from a modern so called "romance" novel that I've ever seen, it's entirely about the physical for it's own sake.Or it's about forbidden sex between people who aren't married. Hence my statement that there's little difference between erotic fiction and modern romantic fiction.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In every scene from a modern so called "romance" novel that I've ever seen, it's entirely about the physical for it's own sake.Or it's about forbidden sex between people who aren't married. Hence my statement that there's little difference between erotic fiction and modern romantic fiction.
Then, I wouldn't categorize them as "romance"......I would toss those in the pile with "erotic". I believe those books could contribute to a distorted perception of love. We have to be alert to what our minds are set on. What we set our minds on is what shapes our perceptions....and that's foundational (IMO). I do believe there're progressions though....but, it all begins with that foundation.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All love is Godly. God is love. Love is from God.
Depends on how you define love. Some people think love is what happened in the Summer of 68. Some people think using women as a sex toy is love.

Some people say "I just love Julia Roberts". Meaning some degree of idolatry.

Love, the emotion, is not necessarily of God. Love, the decision to sacrifice for others, is Godly.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on how you define love. Some people think love is what happened in the Summer of 68. Some people think using women as a sex toy is love.

Love, the emotion, is not necessarily of God. Love, the decision to sacrifice for others, is Godly.
I would take this even further and say that love as spoken of the the Bible is more often talking about the decision or an action than it is about the feeling, which is in reality a response to the action of love.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

That's the thing, though......lot's of people use the term "love" for love's cheap counterfeits. It would be "sin" to be "off the mark" of God's perfect love.....but, iniquity to be acting in a perverse and cruel way towards another person and call that "love".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's the thing, though......lot's of people use the term "love" for love's cheap counterfeits. It would be "sin" to be "off the mark" of God's perfect love.....but, iniquity to be acting in a perverse and cruel way towards another person and call that "love".
IMO the feeling, the emotion that we somewhat mistakenly call love is, in some respects, one of those cheap counterfits. It's not inherently a negative thing, but compared to the love we are commanded to, it is indeed shallow and fleeting.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Turning to the disciples, He said privately, “Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see, 24 for I say to you, that many prophets and kings wished to see the things which you see, and did not see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and did not hear them.”

25 And a [l] lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? [m]How does it read to you?” 27 And he answered, “ You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.”~Luke 10
I guess that's our entire key to our journey.....to figure out what that love is, since it's the key to inheriting eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think some precepts to remember are, when it comes to sin, is that good and evil *are* realities....not merely concepts or metaphors (Matthew 4).

And...

God is the source of all good; Satan is the author of all evil (James 1; Genesis 3).

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Nook free Friday book is a perfect example of romance (i.e. that romance is not erotica) - "A Time to Love" by Barbara Cameron - Kirk's mom. I won't be getting it. Even though it's free. Romance is yucky stuff.

And I never said that such books don't exist, just that they are the exception. That much of what is called romance today is, in fact, something else entirely.

Upvote 0