Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is all sin equal?

No, in terms of consequences by man and God.

As for severe consequences by man, how many times have we read about a man killing wife/girlfriend and children because wife/girlfriend was with another man? That does not happen all the time but when a woman cheats on a man it gets real ugly most of the time. Women don't usually get as violent as men when cheated on.

Now if that same woman was to read romance/erotic novels but not be with another man I doubt that the man would impose such harsh consequences on the woman.

Another very obvious example would be a child molester. Even the prison inmates will take out their own justice on those molesters. However, if an inmate is in prison for cheating the government out of lots of money he may be a hero to the other inmates. For sure the inmates will treat him better than a child molester.

As for the consequences by God. In the Old Testament, the most severe punishment that I have read was when a person or nation turned to the occult or foreign gods. Start with the Golden calf; lots (3,000) of God’s chosen Israelites were killed by their own people for turning to another god. Even after many were killed, God added a plague to them for their sin of turning to a false god.

The Israelites kingdoms of Judah and Israel were cast into slavery and death by other nations because they turned to the occult or foreign gods. That punishment did not last months or years but decades and in some cases centuries!

Abraham lied often, Jacob was a deceiver, and Moses killed an innocent man but none of them received the harsh consequences of those that turned to foreign gods.

Is all sin equal? NO WAY!!

Infidelity often gets the most harsh punishment. If it is infidelity with humans then horrible consequences are imposed by mankind. If it is spiritual infidelity then you better pray for mercy from God.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is all sin equal?

No, in terms of consequences by man and God.

As for severe consequences by man, how many times have we read about a man killing wife/girlfriend and children because wife/girlfriend was with another man? That does not happen all the time but when a woman cheats on a man it gets real ugly most of the time. Women don't usually get as violent as men when cheated on.

Now if that same woman was to read romance/erotic novels but not be with another man I doubt that the man would impose such harsh consequences on the woman.

Another very obvious example would be a child molester. Even the prison inmates will take out their own justice on those molesters. However, if an inmate is in prison for cheating the government out of lots of money he may be a hero to the other inmates. For sure the inmates will treat him better than a child molester.

As for the consequences by God. In the Old Testament, the most severe punishment that I have read was when a person or nation turned to the occult or foreign gods. Start with the Golden calf; lots (3,000) of God’s chosen Israelites were killed by their own people for turning to another god. Even after many were killed, God added a plague to them for their sin of turning to a false god.

The Israelites kingdoms of Judah and Israel were cast into slavery and death by other nations because they turned to the occult or foreign gods. That punishment did not last months or years but decades and in some cases centuries!

Abraham lied often, Jacob was a deceiver, and Moses killed an innocent man but none of them received the harsh consequences of those that turned to foreign gods.

Is all sin equal? NO WAY!!

Infidelity often gets the most harsh punishment. If it is infidelity with humans then horrible consequences are imposed by mankind. If it is spiritual infidelity then you better pray for mercy from God.

That about sums it up..:thumbsup:

Dallas

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:15
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Matthew 7:14-16

Dallas

What should we be on the lookout for?

Something like this?

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(2Ti 3:1-7)

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 13

King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
:pray:

Dallas

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
(Joh 15:11-14)

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being in a difficult marriage doesn't mean one doesn't know what "good" is....nor does it discredit them.

Neither does having experience with inappropriate content discredit one from knowing what's comparable to it.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I've been gone a while ...

I think that the only people who know about romantic novels are the people who have read them. Who here has regularly read romance novels? Raise your hand. Have you also viewed inappropriate content? Or read erotic novels? It would be extremely rare for someone to cross over all three. I would imagine that most people who would read romance are reading it for romance. Pride & Prejudice (which was mentioned by someone else) is not the same as Finding [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. (That's a real movie btw.) I don't need a PhD in The Studies of inappropriate contentography and Erotica vs. Romance Novels to figure that one out. One is an innocent depiction of romance/love/boy meets girl, the other features prostitutes having sex with each other. Hmmm, which should I watch tonight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

May 9, 2012
✟8,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Christ, Matt 5:27-28

We got an upgrade in power and responsibility when the Word of God became flesh, and consequently died innocently and was resurrected to life. The upgrade is that as humans with holy spirits, we are to live by the spirit first, flesh second. We are not only responsible for fleshly lust (murder, adultery, deceit, etc.,) we are also spiritually responsible for the sin. So, if you lust after another woman or man (meaning, you think about the things you would do to the person sexually,) you have already sinned in your heart/spirit. All that is left is the action.

To illustrate the point, we are children of God. God makes things happen by his will alone. He thinks about it, and all that is left is for the thought to physically come to fruition. We aren't that powerful to make our pure real physically manifest. However, by thinking about doing something, we do have the power to (over time, and action on our part) make it happen, given ideal conditions. Thinking about how to sex up a man/woman is lusting, and can lead to physically fulfilling that fantasy directly, or vicariously. This is whether it is reading a romance novel, or watching inappropriate content. Seeing someone and getting aroused is one thing. Actually mentally pursuing that arousal into a sexual thought-form of action is where it becomes sin.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeing someone and getting aroused is one thing. Actually mentally pursuing that arousal into a sexual thought-form of action is where it becomes sin.
Your comment here is the complete opposite to the scripture you quoted. The scripture says that looking on a woman with lust means you have committed adultery with her. That's just looking with lust. Therefore, if you watch inappropriate content and you lust after that woman - you committed adultery at that point - not when you go and have sex with the woman next door. And, btw, it's a "form of action" to seek out inappropriate content, watch inappropriate content, lust after a prostitute in the inappropriate content, and become aroused by that prostitute. Thata's all action. inappropriate content doesn't just happen. You have to go and find it and buy it and watch it which = action.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath commtted adultery with her already in his heart.

Upvote 0

May 9, 2012
✟8,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your comment here is the complete opposite to the scripture you quoted. The scripture says that looking on a woman with lust means you have committed adultery with her. That's just looking with lust. Therefore, if you watch inappropriate content and you lust after that woman - you committed adultery at that point - not when you go and have sex with the woman next door. And, btw, it's a "form of action" to seek out inappropriate content, watch inappropriate content, lust after a prostitute in the inappropriate content, and become aroused by that prostitute. Thata's all action. inappropriate content doesn't just happen. You have to go and find it and buy it and watch it which = action.

No, it isn't really. But perhaps it is because I have a penis that the statement is gender-biased. I see many women that look attractive, but I do not pursue them to lust in my mind. Nevertheless, the arousal may manifest into physical "atTENTion." I cannot really control that. I can actively ignore and reject any further thoughts of "oh, she is attractive," but the physical response is autonomous and in most cases very sporadic. If, however, I see an attractive woman, and think about how I would pleasure her (or myself), then that is pursuing the physical attraction in my mind. I meant arousal in its most marginal form - physical attraction - not "when I think about you I touch myself" arousal.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is talking about walking down the street, coming across an attractive member of the opposite sex, and noticing they are attractive, and then going about their business. It's the deliberate pursuit of arousal and intent to lust. It's like pursuing a prostitute for sex. It's the same in fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

May 9, 2012
✟8,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If a person goes and gets inappropriate content, purchases inappropriate content, puts it on the tv or computer and watches those prostitutes having sex, then they did commit an action that is to pursue arousal and to lust after others.

I agree 100%.

Upvote 0

May 9, 2012
✟8,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nobody is talking about walking down the street, coming across an attractive member of the opposite sex, and noticing they are attractive, and then going about their business. It's the deliberate pursuit of arousal and intent to lust. It's like pursuing a prostitute for sex. It's the same in fact.

I know, I was just defending the statement you said was opposite of scripture

Seeing someone and getting aroused is one thing. Actually mentally pursuing that arousal into a sexual thought-form of action is where it becomes sin.

by clarifying the first sentence in its context. :wave:

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Functional difference"?....No, that's not what I said. I said they are both wrong....as they both portray something God created as good (sex) as a distortion (lust)......that's actually void of love.

No actually you did say there's no different between erotic fiction and pictoral inappropriate content:
--not erotic fiction (which I said is no different than pictorial inappropriate content).

Interesting though now that Dallas is on about how they are so completely different that you are trying to claim you said something else.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1 John 5:16-17

New King James Version (NKJV)

16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.
This passage was brought up earlier, and from what I understand....there's not agreement as to what this actually means.

I have heard that one belief is that since this is addressed to "brothers", then it cannot be a spiritual death---that it must be sins that cause a physical death.

Another belief is that it's talking about blaspheming the Holy Spirit....habitual sins such as what's mentioned in Galations 5, that are not being acknowledged by the sinner.....

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.~Galatians 5:21

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No actually you did say there's no different between erotic fiction and pictoral inappropriate content:
--not erotic fiction (which I said is no different than pictorial inappropriate content).

Interesting though now that Dallas is on about how they are so completely different that you are trying to claim you said something else.
Post #39, I said this:

I don't know if there *is* a difference that matters. IMO.....they are BOTH wrong.....both a distortion of what God created.....and both should be avoided.
You then asked about "functional difference"....which is not what I was originally commenting on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0