NW England
✟1,052,512.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay, I only meant certain lyrics. Music itself I think is neutral. But when I said wrong music I really meant wrong lyrics. :)

Yes, I agree.
Some lyrics are harmful, unhelpful, anti Christian and may even be blasphemous.

• Winner
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are some bands into mediating un-Christian spiritual influences?
Yes, but that probably calls for the gift of discerning of spirits.
(There are no audio samples in the Bible... ;))

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,512.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mentioned "Jupiter," which is a symphony of Holst's "The Planets" suite. The full name is "Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity," and Holst's intention was to write a work that evoked mirth--humor--in the listening audience. And it does exactly that. Listening to it makes people smile, and there's one point that actually evokes chuckles...just from music.

A portion of "Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity" has been "Christianized" as "Thaxted" and the hymns "O God beyond all praising" and "We Praise You and Acknowledge You."

"The Planets" is an example of how rhythm and melody can deliberately evoke mood and emotion in human beings completely separate from and without lyrics. This has been scientifically demonstrated. Have you ever heard Sting's "Roxanne" on the cello? My goodness, it's so mournful and tragic. It brings tears.

And my point there is that rhythm and melody can sadden, or anger, or cheer, or depress. It can have direct effect on mind and spirit.

Yes, of course.
It is, or can be, emotive, cheering, inspirational; bring back or stir up memories, minister to the spirit and so on.

But moral?
I imagine someone could be upset by a piece of music and go out and hit someone - but I am quite sure that they, and not the music, would be deemed responsible for their actions.
I can be quite inspired by some classical music, and I always find the Hallelujah chorus rousing - and I could go out and do some charity/church work after hearing it. But again, surely that would be my decision to use my energy for good, rather than that the music did it for me?

I think I'm trying to say that music can affect our emotions and choices, but it's what we do with that which is important.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, of course.
It is, or can be, emotive, cheering, inspirational; bring back or stir up memories, minister to the spirit and so on.

But moral?
I imagine someone could be upset by a piece of music and go out and hit someone - but I am quite sure that they, and not the music, would be deemed responsible for their actions.
I can be quite inspired by some classical music, and I always find the Hallelujah chorus rousing - and I could go out and do some charity/church work after hearing it. But again, surely that would be my decision to use my energy for good, rather than that the music did it for me?

I think I'm trying to say that music can affect our emotions and choices, but it's what we do with that which is important.

The question was not "moral" it was "spiritually neutral."

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,512.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question was not "moral" it was "spiritually neutral."

Yes, but I read "neutral" as being, "neither good nor bad".
I couldn't think of any other meaning of the word.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK there is quite some support for the issue of some lyrics being spiritually dark.

What about the music ???

Is some music dominating and even hypnotic ???

Are some bands into mediating un-Christian spiritual influences?

The rapper Lil' Uzi Vert is an example of both. He's directly mentored by Marilyn Manson, who is also his father figure. His music is spelled as far as I am concerned. I don't even read it out loud, let alone play it. People have physical responses to it and certain entities are drawn to where it is played.

And it's not just rap music, but there are others even in country music that are deep into demonology and weave it into their music.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The rapper Lil' Uzi Vert is an example of both. He's directly mentored by Marilyn Manson, who is also his father figure. His music is spelled as far as I am concerned. I don't even read it out loud, let alone play it. People have physical responses to it and certain entities are drawn to where it is played.

And it's not just rap music, but there are others even in country music that are deep into demonology and weave it into their music.

This is exactly what I hoped would come out - Thank you...

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a good friend who has worked for years on developing "Christian rap," but he admits that ultimately can't make it work. The genre is designed to be angry and despairing...those are the only emotions it transmits regardless of lyrics.
I thought Mike E and the G Rap Crew (ca. 1991) did a good job.
I liked Carman's Resurrection Rap (1990).

I would put both of them in the "outreach" sub-category of Christian music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My friend did some decent rap songs as well, but notice that the career in Christian rap is short. Carman only did that one rap-like song.

And, notice too, that merely speaking the lyrics doesn't necessarily make it rap, as a function of the hip-hop culture.

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preamble:
The judgment of the Satanic fall tells us it must have been by the free will decision of some within a mature, intellectually sophisticated, society because a choice to do what you want without any understanding of the meaning of the commands nor the consequences forces us to accept that these things were common knowledge before their fall.

We know that this society existing before the creation of the physical world knew music, Job 38:7, which implies a knowledge of mathematics and logic. Does this instruct us in the moral nature of music? Not really...though I hazard that music corrupts no one but sinners can corrupt music to their own ends.

What else could a society of spirit beings learn and explore in a non-physical state?

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Are you saying the music itself and not the lyrics can channel unclean spirits?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I just looked those groups up, good videos. :amen:
I like the Christian rap by Lecrae. What do you think of his?

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0