British Columbia
✟1,006,458.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about that. Surely some music is more edifying than others. What I do know is that it's not wrong to listen to secular music as well as religious music, and no kind of music should be labelled as sinful or blasphemous just because a person doesn't like it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some lyrics are blasphemous.

Some music is written under the influence of drugs.

Is music more than a matter of personal taste - is it in some cases spiritually potent?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Personal taste.
If you can understand the lyrics, you are a better man than me.
Blasphemous? Perhaps. I doubt I'd be liking the music enough to listen anyway.
Way to many good choices to be concerned about lyrics in bad music.

But bad music does come from bad souls. Generally.
Not to say good music comes from good people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about that. Surely some music is more edifying than others. What I do know is that it's not wrong to listen to secular music as well as religious music, and no kind of music should be labelled as sinful or blasphemous just because a person doesn't like it.

What if we agree on what is Blasphemy and look at some lyrics ???

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that no music is spiritually neutral, to the extent that it's either going to raise our spirits or depress our spirits.

Some music is inherently spiritually harmful--I would put "gangster rap" in that category.

But I put music and all things through the Philippian Prescription. Is there anything within it that is right, true, noble, beautiful, admirable, or praiseworthy? It doesn't have to be Christian per se...when Paul said "whatever," he meant whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So is some Christian music 'anointed' as some folks claim and is spiritually blessed and potent in a good way ?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Music, like other forms of art, is just a means of communication.
And communication can run the gamut of Godly to demonic and everything in between [Matthew 15:11, Jas. 3:6-13].

Upvote 0

Disciple_mike

Jul 9, 2022
northland
✟2,192.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is music more than a matter of personal taste - is it in some cases spiritually potent?

in as much as it appeals to the carnal senses of soulish mood .. it actually distracts from the Holy Spirits leading us into all truth -that is, to JESUS!
People get caught up in the carnal sensations and emotions caused by music and actually forget JESUS while they are self centered on what they are experiencing via that mood . The spirit of this world works on those carnal senses all the time . so I would suggest that "music is not spiritual " but is USED by spirits to invoke moods to influence behaviours . and in churches music should be used as a tool to give glory to god , but most often these days is used as the world does it .. to invoke mood and atmosphere and, tbh, is altogether manipulative in doing so . i got set free from all dependency on it . i am at peace and faith in total silence ..or in a roomful of shouting cursing people and crying babies ,I remain at peace and faith . None of my life in Jesus any more has dependency on music or atmosphere but instead upon what GOD has spoken . regardless of situation mood, place or atmosphere . in summary i would say music is carnal when used for pleasing the carnal senses and carnal based moods . not in itself spiritual ..

- well bro.. you asked for our thoughts :tonguewink::tonguewink:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ive quit listening to music in the past cause i knew it was encouraging suicidal thoughts explicitly in the lyrics, so i ended up throwing out all the cds from that particular band. But even the more "safe" but depressing songs ive had coddle me over the years, ive recently lost a hunger for them, the past is getting old, lol, time for me to move on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Disciple_mike

Jul 9, 2022
northland
✟2,192.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So is some Christian music 'anointed' as some folks claim and is spiritually blessed and potent in a good way ?
we really need to do a thread explaining what anointed means .. mostly it doesn't mean what people have been told it means

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The beauty and meaning of any art form, or almost any piece of art or art form, etc, is always in the eyes and/or ears of the beholder/listener, etc...

So it is what it means to them, that makes it either primarily good, or else bad always, etc...

And that is almost always different for each one always, etc, which is part of the more general beauty of art in general always, etc...

Even blasphemous things can be a matter of perspective to the seer/hearer, etc, because it can, for example, be seen or heard as the cries of others, or maybe it can be representative of a time in your past when you were maybe "much more less" than you are right now maybe, etc, and it reminds you of that maybe, and maybe how far you have come and how much you have changed maybe, etc, it all depends on how the seer or hearer sees or hears it at the time, and that is going to be a matter of perspective, or is going to be a matter of how/where they are coming from at the time, or is going to greatly depend of what and how, and what, they are thinking about or on at the time also, etc, because it is that, that makes it either good, or else bad to them at the time, etc...

Your current mood and emotional state of mind at the time can affect or alter this also, along with how you are also thinking and/or are quote/unquote "seeing things" at the time also, etc...

Art is subject to all of those things about us each individually, etc, and you can even like one thing in one instance, and then not like it in another, and then go back to liking it again in the next instance, or vice-versa, etc, and that is all due to, in great part, of how it is all subject to all of these things I just now mentioned about us, and how those are always ever-changing for each and every single one of us each individually, and how it is all pretty rare than any two would always see it the exact same way always, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The beauty and meaning of any art form, or almost any piece of art or art form, etc, is always in the eyes and/or ears of the beholder/listener, etc...

So it is what it means to them, that makes it either primarily good, or else bad always, etc...

And that is almost always different for each one always, etc, which is part of the more general beauty of art in general always, etc...

Even blasphemous things can be a matter of perspective to the seer/hearer, etc, because it can, for example, be seen or heard as the cries of others, or maybe it can be representative of a time in your past when you were maybe "much more less" than you are right now maybe, etc, and it reminds you of that maybe, and maybe how far you have come and how much you have changed maybe, etc, it all depends on how the seer or hearer sees or hears it at the time, and that is going to be a matter of perspective, or is going to be a matter of how/where they are coming from at the time, or is going to greatly depend of what and how, and what, they are thinking about or on at the time also, etc, because it is that, that makes it either good, or else bad to them at the time, etc...

Your current mood and emotional state of mind at the time can affect or alter this also, along with how you are also thinking and/or are quote/unquote "seeing things" at the time also, etc...

Art is subject to all of those things about us each individually, etc, and you can even like one thing in one instance, and then not like it in another, and then go back to liking it again in the next instance, or vice-versa, etc, and that is all due to, in great part, of how it is all subject to all of these things I just now mentioned about us, and how those are always ever-changing for each and every single one of us each individually, and how it is all pretty rare than any two would always see it the exact same way always, etc...

God Bless!

So why did the Lord require the idols to be destroyed ?

Can I suggest He didn't want to have them in His sight ?

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Music is definitely NOT neutral! Music is very spiritually potent! Listening to the wrong music can be very spiritually harmful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, remember, music is just words put to sounds and sung in a nice way, but it's still just words. Words that glorify God can be anointed and can bless you. Words the glorify sin like drugs, murder, sex etc can be the opposite of anointed and do the opposite of bless you. Listening over and over to words that glorify adultery, fornication, killing, violence, drugs etc that junk can get into your spirit and open the door for sin in your life.
I think the only truly neutral music is music without lyrics. Like piano music, saxophone music with no lyrics etc. That kind of music is neutral. It's the words that make music harmful or good.

Upvote 0

Disciple_mike

Jul 9, 2022
northland
✟2,192.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Disciple_mike It is a colloquial term in Christian culture and folks know what it means to them I guess.
and we have a responsibility in Christ to cast down thoughts and imaginations (strong holds) that exalt themselves above the knowledge of Christ aka the truth . we cannot be negligent with the truth . we must contend for it . one of the greatest deceptions if this age is centered around the false representation of the anointing - it is the very SIGN Jesus said was a sign of the time of the end -

but back to the topic - another thing about Music is that in churches it ,like so much , has been turned upside down and inside out . all the NT speak about music is that it is to come from within US and outward towards GOD . but the entire Sunday or Saturday meeting club music is tailored to come from WITHOUT and comfort the humans hearer .

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends on the song. How spiritual is Row, Row, Your Boat? Or The Itsy Bitsy Spider? Or My Darlin Clementine? Or bubblegum pop songs? Like a book or a poem, it depends on the content.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, remember, music is just words put to sounds and sung in a nice way, but it's still just words. Words that glorify God can be anointed and can bless you. Words the glorify sin like drugs, murder, sex etc can be the opposite of anointed and do the opposite of bless you. Listening over and over to words that glorify adultery, fornication, killing, violence, drugs etc that junk can get into your spirit and open the door for sin in your life.

That is true.

I think the only truly neutral music is music without lyrics. Like piano music, saxophone music with no lyrics etc. That kind of music is neutral. It's the words that make music harmful or good.

There is no neutrality even without lyrics. Listen sometime to Holst's "Die Planets" suite. Holst set upon the intention of creating a series of symphonies that evoked specific emotions from the listeners, and he does exactly that...without a single word.

The ability of rhythm and melody to evoke mood is scientifically established, and certain types of music do create discordance in the spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So why did the Lord require the idols to be destroyed ?

Can I suggest He didn't want to have them in His sight ?
A thing is only an idol if you are worshipping it or placing it above God or instead of God in your heart...

Beacause other than that, I don't see how your comment about idols as it apllies to art makes sense, etc...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0