Is a water-only fast the only way to receive fasting’s spiritual benefits?

eremitic

Paradise-naut
May 28, 2019
The Desert
✟15,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What it says on the tin: I’m wondering if a water-only fast is the only way to receive spiritual benefits. I began reading this book called The Atomic Power With God Through Prayer and Fasting by Franklin Hal and it seems as though most of the folks did extended water-only fasts.

So no sneaking in coffee with MCT powder or a zero calorie soda to deter the effects?

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be honest I don't know. The bible does not specifically speak of what the purpose of a fast is. However I will add to your understanding of what a fast should include. In Isiah it mentions fasting in this way:

Isa 58:5-7 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Notice that the scripture mentions that fasting is not to just get hungry, and afflict your soul. It is rather to give YOUR bread to the hungry. Basically we go without food and give it to the needy. In our modern world, the money we save on food is given to the needy, to charity.

There are many ways you can fast in this way, be it to fast a movie, or entertainment, and give the money you save to the poor. But a physical food fast should still be used to help the poor.

Daniel, also went on a vegetable only fast. I believe this was due to the fact he still needed to work. We need some fuel in us, if we are working. I would not get hung up on a coffee, etc. It is the heart God looks at.

There are three benefits of this type of fasting:

a) You can sympathise with those who are hungry
b) You can provide food for the needy
c) God has promised you spiritual power

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What it says on the tin: I’m wondering if a water-only fast is the only way to receive spiritual benefits. I began reading this book called The Atomic Power With God Through Prayer and Fasting by Franklin Hal and it seems as though most of the folks did extended water-only fasts.

So no sneaking in coffee with MCT powder or a zero calorie soda to deter the effects?

The first thing to ascertain is the "Why" of fasting. Do this before you start, and get thoroughly grounded in the why's and how's before you start.

Secondly, if you've never fasted before, do it with someone as your accountability coach who has successfully done several fasts prior to this one.

Third, set limits AND set 'bail outs" if they are medically necessary. Just as you have prepared your body for the fast, you also have to ease back into normal eating routines again. So make your first return meals lite ones.

Fourth, of course, anyone who fasts should be in good shape medically, because this will always put a strain on your body, so you have to be prepared for that.
Don't fast if you're are already overburdened with important worldly problems or responsibilities.

Fasting also requires adequate time periods where you can be alone to concentrate on what God is teaching you during this time. But if you are also beset by problems of the world while also fasting and trying to reconnect with God at the same time, one of those two things will have to take priority.

Your fasting coach should know and be prepared for the different parts (hurdles) that are to be expected, and be willing to coach you through them.

Fasting is a very powerful way to go through a "Spiritual tune-up" of your life for a limited time, and in limited circumstances. But there is a lot to be learned from doing a fast.

P.S. (embarrassing, but necessary. ) three days prior to starting the fast, go on a liquids only diet to cleanse your body of it's 'refuse'. If you don't do this, everything backs up in your system, and you could have problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

You can do an Orthodox Fast.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Fasting is designed to cleanse and purify your body. Zero calorie soda causes people to gain weight because of the effect it has on our metabolism. So it is something we should be cleansed from.

I personally have not fasted more then 3 weeks. I have gone on fasts where I do allow myself diet soda and I do still get a substantial amount of spiritual benefit. I do not drink coffee or caffeine because that tends to make me nervous. Caffeine free diet soda is difficult to find when you are overseas.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
you asked in your OP about extended "water only" fasts. You should be aware that if you don't provide your body with minimum nutrition, then the body will pull the nutrition that it needs from itself.

That's why that kind of fasting should only be done with competent medical supervision.
(Can't stress this enough!}

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
does fasting only have to do with food and water? i thought it could also be refraining from something you enjoy doing for a certain length of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we can fast from an activity that pleases us.

In that kind of a fast, there are two goals:
1. to discover why the activity pleases us, and
2. to discover what would please God.

the first question is usually easy to answer, but the second question takes more thought.

We need to find within us a willingness to refrain from what we are pleased or fulfilled from doing, and instead we make God's pleasure our priority.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
does fasting only have to do with food and water? i thought it could also be refraining from something you enjoy doing for a certain length of time.
refraining from everything ^_^
desires of the flesh bye bye
welcome to the world of monasticism

Reactions: eremitic
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I fast but I drink tea with milk. It is the intent of your fast more so than the exact procedure that you follow.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,156.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Too strenuous fasting can actually be dangerous. You are literally starving your body. This taxes your adrenals and sadly, you may not feel the full effects of that right away. Once the adrenals go bad, boy do you have problems, like chronic fatigue for just one instance.

Moses and Messiah fasted 40 d & n. But we ain't them!

IF you are very healthy I would say try a once a week 24 hour (only) water only fast and see how it works. Then try "lesser" fasts and see how they work.

Upvote 0