Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems to me that they invariably divide the haves from the have-nots. If that's what you want to do, like the Soviet Union did in Berlin, and the Israelis did in Palestine, then a wall is good idea.

But, it occurs to me that the only long term effective and truly Christian way to solve the have/have not issue is not to build walls, but to build the economic capacity of the have-nots. In other words, when everyone has approximately equal amounts of wealth, there will be no need for walls, because there will be no economic advantage in becoming an illegal immigrant. No one, not even Trump, is suggesting a wall between the US and Canada.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: J Cord

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seems to me that they invariably divide the haves from the have-nots. If that's what you want to do, like the Soviet Union did in Berlin, and the Israelis did in Palestine, then a wall is good idea.

But, it occurs to me that the only long term effective and truly Christian way to solve the have/have not issue is not to build walls, but to build the economic capacity of the have-nots. In other words, when everyone has approximately equal amounts of wealth, there will be no need for walls, because there will be no economic advantage in becoming an illegal immigrant.

Best wishes, Strivax.
In a perfect world that may well work, however in a fallen world that is ineffective.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In a perfect world that may well work, however in a fallen world that is ineffective.

So, why is it a necessary conclusion that a more equitable distribution of wealth cannot happen in even a 'fallen world'?

And, even if it is a necessary conclusion, is a wall still the Christian solution?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, why is it a necessary conclusion that a more equitable distribution of wealth cannot happen in even a 'fallen world'?

And, even if it is a necessary conclusion, is a wall still the Christian solution?
The wall will keep people out that break the law in merely being here as well as those that mean harm. We have a system by which people are permitted to enter this country legally to live, as well as for various other purposes if people choose not to respect that they need to be deported.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The wall will keep people out that break the law in merely being here as well as those that mean harm. We have a system by which people are permitted to enter this country legally to live, as well as for various other purposes if people choose not to respect that they need to be deported.

So, I still don't see the problem you are presenting that would not be resolved by a more equitable distribution of the world's wealth.

Cheers, Strivax.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, I still don't see the problem you are presenting that would not be resolved by a more equitable distribution of the world's wealth.

Cheers, Strivax.
Again, in a perfect world where everyone who could would pull his or her own weight that would be OK, however, you and I both know that this is FAR from a perfect world. As such, doing it the way we do provides people with a motive to do better; as well as (it should) anyway keep people from being dead weight.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is a wall a Christian thing?

All throughout the Bible there have been walls. Nehemiah is one example of a God-directed re-building of the wall of Jerusalem.

The broken-down wall symbolized a defeated City of God.

God didn't agree that He, nor His city, was "defeated".

On a side-note: In Revelation, are any "walls" mentioned?

Walls are not evil. Those who make the building of them necessary are.

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Cheers, Strivax.

what do you mean by equitable distribution of worlds wealth?
Equitable to whom?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

But, it occurs to me that the only long term effective and truly Christian way to solve the have/have not issue is not to build walls, but to build the economic capacity of the have-nots. In other words, when everyone has approximately equal amounts of wealth, there will be no need for walls, because there will be no economic advantage in becoming an illegal immigrant. No one, not even Trump, is suggesting a wall between the US and Canada.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Do you lock your door at night?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Best wishes, Strivax.
The United States is not the Kingdom of God and our President isn't the ruling Messiah. :) So, is it wrong to secure the borders to make sure that only those come in do so according to our laws? I don't see an issue... we can have a wall to protect ourselves AND still stand with open arms toward a people that desire to come and have the opportunity that we have as long as they come in through the proper channels. I am a second generation Scandinavian, my great grandfather came in through Ellis Island according to our laws. Millions have... legally. A wall only keeps out those that don't desire to follow our laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what do you mean by equitable distribution of worlds wealth?
Equitable to whom?

Why, equitable to everyone. You know, when Mr X doesn't have a $billion, while Monsieur Y has no $ at all, and Senor Z owes Mr X his firstborn. When everyone has a decent and reasonably dignified standard of living. When absolute poverty is abolished, worldwide.

Cheers, Strivax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The idea of the redistribution of the worlds wealth is an idea of some to divide the people, and will never happen. All those that have, have worked for their wealth, and didn't squander what they made on things that didn't increase their wealth. The idea of redistribution is a foolish mans idea of taking something from someone that worked for it and giving to someone that has no intention of ever working for anything.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why, equitable to everyone. You know, when Mr X doesn't have a $billion, while Senor Y has no $ at all. When everyone has a decent and reasonably dignified standard of living. When absolute poverty is abolished, worldwide.

Cheers, Strivax.

Capitalism has done more to reduce poverty than all other efforts combined.

Why do you oppose it?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Best wishes, Strivax.

What about the wall that keeps people out of your house? Is that also unchristian?

Walls are not unchristian.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The idea of the redistribution of the worlds wealth is an idea of some to divide the people, and will never happen. All those that have, have worked for their wealth, and didn't squander what they made on things that didn't increase their wealth. The idea of redistribution is a foolish mans idea of taking something from someone that worked for it and giving to someone that has no intention of ever working for anything.
If Yeshua knew that "you will always have the poor with you" (paraphrased) then he must have understood that there would not have been any redistributing of the world's wealth in a manner that would actually work.

• Winner
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Best wishes, Strivax.

Some people will cut off their nose to spite their face. The wall is one example.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why, equitable to everyone. You know, when Mr X doesn't have a $billion, while Senor Y has no $ at all. When everyone has a decent and reasonably dignified standard of living. When absolute poverty is abolished, worldwide.

Cheers, Strivax.
It will never happen because we will always have the poor with us (Matthew 26:11). And Thursday is correct... our capitalist society while flawed in some areas... works for the most part and billions have been "given freely" to those in need. If we all had the same lower salary, we would not be able to give so freely and the government would end up having to take care of those who can't take care of themselves. In some respects, they already do and that is because we have backed off and allowed it. It was the church who did this work almost exclusively, we need to pick it up... not make everyone equal because not everyone is equal.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Christian solution is to preach the gospel and then to make sure the needs of those who join the Body of Christ are taken care of within all the resources held by the Body of Christ.

There is no Christian solution to take care of the needs of the whole world.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Yeshua knew that "you will always have the poor with you" (paraphrased) then he must have understood that there would not have been any redistributing of the world's wealth in a manner that would actually work.

Jesus said 'The poor ye have always with you, but me ye shall not have always'* at a specific time to a specific audience, namely around AD32 to His disciples. I am sure He did not mean it to be a prediction for our time, for our generation. We have the wealth to rescue the world from the scandal of absolute poverty; we just don't want to deploy it that way. We would rather build walls.

Best wishes, Strivax.

* Matthew 26:11 KJV

Upvote 0