Is a "second" coming Bible Prophecy or an interpretation of Bible prophecy?

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The term Trinity is neither found in Scripture. I don't have a problem with that, why does it matter if the exact term isn't used in the Bible? The point of the book of Revelation is that Christ will return. End of story, literally.
Because the phrase has a specific meaning that does not allow thought or discussion on major world changing Biblical issues. It’s robbed believers of a scriptural vision for the future based on the prophecy relevant to this age. If the phrase wasn’t looked on as Gospel but just one of many interpretations of Bible prophecy.
Then it would give people breathing space to dig deeper into the word. Into stuff like this.
How The Nations Are Blessed
HTNABpic.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no doctrine of many comings of the Messiah. Scripture only speaks of two. You are adding verses that have nothing to do with the Messiah coming to the Earth. You are mixing two different concepts. That's what I and others are trying to explain to you.

The two comings of Christ are different than any OT comings of "the Lord". The NT only speaks of two comings of the Messiah and no, there are not 6 mentioned in the letters in Rev.
I think a better explanation is that since examples of the coming of the Lord are so numerous in the OT. So numerous that it can be looked upon as the normative way God deals with mankind. That the NT writers considered the coming of the Lord a standard Biblical OT doctrine as having the same application in their future as it had in their past. So, for instance. When In Matthew 24:1-4 in reference to the temple and building Jesus just said would be destroyed. Matthew understood that declaration in a basic OT way. That it would signify one of many of a long OT string of days where the Lord would come. This time for the city and temple they were looking at. Hence, his question, “what will be the sign of your coming” is not from the view of 21st century myopic evangelicals obsessed with apocalyptism or the end of the world. But from the view point of a 1st century student of the OT who understood by way of numerous OT examples that what Jesus just announced was a Day of the Lord just like the Day of the Lord when Nebuchadnezzer destroyed Jerusalem 600 years earlier.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But it's not the frame work of my understanding, its how the scriptures compare with themselves. There is one continually-talked about event known as the Day of the Lord as talked about in Isaiah, as talked about in Zechariah, in Micah, Joel, Daniel, Malachi and other old testament books. There are not many days of the Lord, there are not 2 days of the Lord, there is one that is repeatedly talked about.

Revelation 1:7 - Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Revelation 22:20 - He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

That theory of the 70 AD prophetic fulfillment of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple doesn't make sense considering that Jesus Christ never physically came back where every eye saw him and everybody on earth wailed because of him. Not to mention, Revelation is pretty much agreed upon that it was written around 90 AD, which is 20 years after the 70 AD incident.
FYI. Don’t know when Revelation was writtten but do know when John received the vision. The seven mountains are seven kings. (Seven kings of the last of the four empires.) five are fallen one is and the seventh is yet to come. So during the reign of Nero.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why does it matter if the exact term isn't used in the Bible?
That is the difference between a translation and a paraphrase. A paraphrase is considered to be a commentary. This is man telling us what the Bible says and we are to be taught by the Holy Spirit not man.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FYI. Don’t know when Revelation was writtten but do know when John received the vision. The seven mountains are seven kings. (Seven kings of the last of the four empires.) five are fallen one is and the seventh is yet to come. So during the reign of Nero.
That I actually agree with

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think a better explanation is that since examples of the coming of the Lord are so numerous in the OT.

As I have said multiple times, those have nothing at all to do with the two comings of the Messiah. Until you understand that, you will continue to be in error regarding the second coming and it's NT prophecy.

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Allow me to qualify what I mean first.

There is no phrase "second coming" in the New Testament. The Greek word for "second" and the Greek word for "coming" do not exist in the same sentence in the NT in this context. The phrase that does exist is "the coming of the Lord" and "the day of the Lord." (The only two places the two words exist in the same sentance in the NT are Luke 12:38, Luke 19:18. But not related to the coming of the Lord. )

The eschatological viewpoint of Futurism teaches that all Bible prophecy future of Jesus and the Apostles is referring to a "second" coming. A one time series of events at the end of the world as we know it. The eschatological viewpoint called Preterism goes to great lengths to teach a "second" coming occurred in 70 A.D. The other eschatological viewpoints might differ a little on the doctrine of a "second" coming but allow for fulfillment of Bible prophecy future of Jesus and the apostles in the space between them and a "second" coming at the end of the world as we know it.

My question is. Since as far as I know every mainstream eschatological view seems to accept this phrase that does not exist in the Bible as "the gospel." Is there a possibility that there is room in mainstream Christianity for the rejection the phrase itself as just one of the many interpretations of Bible prophecy and not Bible prophecy itself? A rejection of the phrase "the second" coming and the embracing of the phrase "the coming" or "the day" of Lord that may or may not have anything to do with a series of events at the end of the world as we know it.

Here is a little of my argument for the rejection of the phrase.

Note*All scriptures are referencing a literal\physical appearance of the Lord to bring or oversee judgment or salvation and the fulfillment of promise. In these scriptures. Whether he can be seen with the eyes of a flesh and bone human being depends on if the Lord chooses to miraculously allow an individual or group to see him or his angels. If he is not seen it not because he was not there or did not come but because he chose to not miraculously open someone's eyes to see him.

Genesis 3
The voice of the Lord, or the Word of the lord, or, Jehovah the Word came down to the garden and announced the world would be cursed through Adam. Yet promised salvation.

Genesis 7:16
The Lord shut the door on the ark. The day of the greatest judgment the world ever saw.

Genesis 18
Jehovah the Word comes with two angels, has dinner with Abraham and discusses the pending judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah.

Exodus 3:8
The Lord has come down to judge Egypt and bring promise to Israel

Isaiah 13:1-22
The day of the Lord comes for Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon at the hands of Medo-Persia

Isaiah 19:1-4
The Lord comes on a cloud to conquer Egypt at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon.

Micah 1:2-9
The Lord comes down to destroy the northern kingdom of Israel by the hand of the Assyrians.

Ezekiel 30:1-11, Jeremiah 46: 1-26
The day of the Lord comes for Egypt at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon.

Note* There are dozens of these prophecies in the OT against ancient Israel, Judah and all the nations around them that use every single illustrative phrase used in the NT about the day of the Lord when he comes in judgment future of Jesus and the apostles.

Matthew 24:1-36. Mark 13:1-32. Luke 21:1-32
The most well known day of the Lord when he came in judgment in the destruction Ancient Israel at the hands of Prince Titus. Son of the emperor of Rome.

Daniel 2:31-45, Daniel 7:1-28, Revelation 19
The coming of the Lord at the end of the age of the four gentile empires named in scripture; to usher in an age of promise.

Matthew 24:37- 25:1-46; Mark 13:33-37; Luke 21:34-36
A transition from the prophecy about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. to a teaching that all nations and peoples in the future will face these days of the Lord and need to prepare for them.

There is no phrase "second coming" in the New Testament. The Greek word for "second" and the Greek word for "coming" do not exist in the same sentence in the NT in this context. The phrase that does exist is "the coming of the Lord" and "the day of the Lord." (The only two places the two words exist in the same sentance in the NT are Luke 12:38, Luke 19:18. But not related to the coming of the Lord. )

The eschatological viewpoint of Futurism teaches that all Bible prophecy future of Jesus and the Apostles is referring to a "second" coming. A one time series of events at the end of the world as we know it. The eschatological viewpoint called Preterism goes to great lengths to teach a "second" coming occurred in 70 A.D. The other eschatological viewpoints might differ a little on the doctrine of a "second" coming but allow for fulfillment of Bible prophecy future of Jesus and the apostles in the space between them and a "second" coming at the end of the world as we know it.

My question is. Since as far as I know every mainstream eschatological view seems to accept this phrase that does not exist in the Bible as "the gospel." Is there a possibility that there is room in mainstream Christianity for the rejection the phrase itself as just one of the many interpretations of Bible prophecy and not Bible prophecy itself? A rejection of the phrase "the second" coming and the embracing of the phrase "the coming" or "the day" of Lord that may or may not have anything to do with a series of events at the end of the world as we know it.

Note*All scriptures are referencing a literal\physical appearance of the Lord to bring or oversee judgment or salvation and the fulfillment of promise. In these scriptures. Whether he can be seen with the eyes of a flesh and bone human being depends on if the Lord chooses to miraculously allow an individual or group to see him or his angels. If he is not seen it not because he was not there or did not come but because he chose to not miraculously open someone's eyes to see him.

Genesis 3
The voice of the Lord, or the Word of the lord, or, Jehovah the Word came down to the garden and announced the world would be cursed through Adam. Yet promised salvation.

The Lord shut the door on the ark. The day of the greatest judgment the world ever saw.

Genesis 18
Jehovah the Word comes with two angels, has dinner with Abraham and discusses the pending judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah.

The day of the Lord comes for Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon at the hands of Medo-Persia

The Lord comes on a cloud to conquer Egypt at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon.

The Lord comes down to destroy the northern kingdom of Israel by the hand of the Assyrians.

Note* There are dozens of these prophecies in the OT against ancient Israel, Judah and all the nations around them that use every single illustrative phrase used in the NT about the day of the Lord when he comes in judgment future of Jesus and the apostles.

The most well known day of the Lord when he came in judgment in the destruction Ancient Israel at the hands of Prince Titus. Son of the emperor of Rome.

The coming of the Lord at the end of the age of the four gentile empires named in scripture; to usher in an age of promise.

A transition from the prophecy about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. to a teaching that all nations and peoples in the future will face these days of the Lord and need to prepare for them.

1 Corinthians 4:5
A teaching to be careful in judgment and to wait until the Lord comes to reveal sin or righteousness in individuals or churches. This is shown in the next set of verses.

Revelation 2-3
A prophecy to seven literal churches that no longer exist about the coming of the Lord to six of seven of them to judge sin and reward righteousness.

This is by no means every single prophecy or instance of the coming the Lord in scripture. Obviously the coming of Jehovah the Word in a flesh body, born of a virgin. Suffered for the sins of mankind and was raised from the dead; assumed the throne of the earth as the Son of David, descendent of Abraham is of a different nature than these on this list. Then certainly the prophecies of Gog and Magog in Ezekiel and Revelation during the age of promise, after the age of the four gentile empires. Those are prophecies that illustrate the nations and peoples who seek to conquer the peoples influenced by the Gospel, the Word in this age of promise. They have sought to stop the growth of the influence of the invisible Government of God on earth; but in those prophecies are destroyed. How could those days not be days of the Lord when these wars of aggression that cost 100's of millions of lives were stopped and the aggressors conquered? (Nor are we through with this.)

What about the end of the world as we know it? Not to say there will not be one. Not to say the Lord would not come to rescue his people from it. But to say: The Bible does not conclusively prophesy one. I hope someone can see by this argument and these scriptures why the phrase "second coming" should be widely known as an interpretation of Bible prophecy and not Bible prophecy.
A teaching to be careful in judgment and to wait until the Lord comes to reveal sin or righteousness in individuals or churches. This is shown in the next set of verses.

Revelation 2-3
A prophecy to seven literal churches that no longer exist about the coming of the Lord to six of seven of them to judge sin and reward righteousness.

This is by no means every single prophecy or instance of the coming the Lord in scripture. Obviously the coming of Jehovah the Word in a flesh body, born of a virgin. Suffered for the sins of mankind and was raised from the dead; assumed the throne of the earth as the Son of David, descendent of Abraham is of a different nature than these on this list. Then certainly the prophecies of Gog and Magog in Ezekiel and Revelation during the age of promise, after the age of the four gentile empires. Those are prophecies that illustrate the nations and peoples who seek to conquer the peoples influenced by the Gospel, the Word in this age of promise. They have sought to stop the growth of the influence of the invisible Government of God on earth; but in those prophecies are destroyed. How could those days not be days of the Lord when these wars of aggression that cost 100's of millions of lives were stopped and the aggressors conquered? (Nor are we through with this.)

What about the end of the world as we know it? Not to say there will not be one. Not to say the Lord would not come to rescue his people from it. But to say: The Bible does not conclusively prophesy one. I hope someone can see by this argument and these scriptures why the phrase "second coming" should be widely known as an interpretation of Bible prophecy and not Bible prophecy.

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Genesis 3

Genesis 18

Revelation 2-3

Genesis 3

Genesis 18

Revelation 2-3

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those all just fit just fine with my theology. He comes again, just not once more. Not just to do what these verses list either mind you , which are awsome. But to do lots more, on earth, long before it ever ends (as we know it.)
I am thinking your so conditioned with what you have accepted as gospel that you cannot conceive of what I am saying. I didn't mean agree with it. Just conceive it.

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those all just fit just fine with my theology. He comes again, just not once more. Not just to do what these verses list either mind you , which are awsome. But to do lots more, on earth, long before it ever ends (as we know it.)

dsfjjdjdsjsj

I am thinking your so conditioned with what you have accepted as gospel that you cannot conceive of what I am saying. I didn't mean agree with it. Just conceive it.

jfgjgfg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I have said multiple times, those have nothing at all to do with the two comings of the Messiah. Until you understand that, you will continue to be in error regarding the second coming and it's NT prophecy.
Yes I understand that is what you believe. Since the scripture you provided fits my claims just as well as yours though. I don't think that counts as evidence.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you mean we are in the good things to come, I disagree.

As Christians we are currently aliens and pilgrims in an unholy land.
That is the reason I am writing and teaching things like this. So that that certain prophecy can be recognized as relevant to this age. Here is an article about three more chapters of Isaiah just like the second half of Isaiah 61. These are actually much clearer than that chapter. I think this will really build you up.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I understand that is what you believe.

Has nothing to do with belief. The comings of the Messiah (NT fulfillments) are different than OT comings of God in a non-Messianic way.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure, if there is a one time end of the world as we know it series of events called the second coming. Which you have accepted as Gospel.
But if that’s not true, I mean if that is just an interpritation. Then aside from the fact that the Son of David sits on the throne that Jehovah the Word sat on previously and what these Days of the Lord accomplished in comparison to OT days of the Lord. Then a whole lot of people are in a whole lot of trouble for robbing God’s people of a scriptural vision for the future. In other words, sooner or later Jesus will come and bring judgement down on that doctrine and Bring glory to himself by giving the faithful a vision for the future in accordance to Bible prophecy relevant to this age. Don’t worry. I think that is decades off.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess if you wanted.. As Jesus said ..one came from heaven.. theres one. And Hes coming back theres two. What about the OT? I dont think GOD left the throne and walked about here. What MTN did God show His back to? Who talked face to face with Moses on this earth? Think it was GOD which no man has ever seen? Or Christ? The son of man? Who came and talked to Abraham? Was it a Angel that said.. And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

My silly point is...I think Hes been here MANY times. I understand what others are saying. For me..He was here once walking this earth...He will be here a 2nd time. The one between those ..He never touches the earth for He is in the air and He gathers us.. He does not gather the nations to judge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I guess if you wanted.. As Jesus said ..one came from heaven.. theres one. And Hes coming back theres two.

Correct. There are only two comings/appearances of Jesus Christ the Messiah in scripture. No other comings of God can be counted in this specific type of coming. The second coming is valid terminology. It is also the end and the start of a new age of ruling with a rod of iron over the nations.

Rev 2:25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

That is the second coming.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

After "the end" comes, there is given power over the nations to those that are overcomers which naturally includes those who "are alive and remain" at the second coming. They will be given power over the nations.

Rev 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

After the second coming and after "the end" will the overcomers be given power over the nations, ruling them with a rod of iron. That proves the rod of iron rule over the nations does not even start until Christ has returned and has given overcomers this power to rule over the nations.

Upvote 0

John Prewett

Newbie to this forum. Believer since 1973
Jan 25, 2013
Bout 12 miles South of Uttaradit Thailand
Visit site
✟4,417.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Revelation 19 revealing of the 'coming of the Lord" WITH the saved of our era is THE defining scripture regarding the 'coming of the Lord.'

I believe brother Moore is on to something ....

" .... enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat ..........

Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? Then where did the weeds come from?’

28 “He said to them, ... 'Let both grow together until the harvest,

and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers: Gather up the weeds

first and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.’ ”"

I submit during the soon coming New World Order,

the weeds and wheat will be permanently separated.

Weeds will worship Beast/image and take his "mark."

Wheat will not worship Beast/image and will not take his "mark".

Leading to beheading of the saved of our era.

"I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and the authority to judge was given to them.

And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded

for their witness of Jesus and for the word of God. They had not worshipped the

beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands.

They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years Revelation 20:4

I submit every Christian should and will aspire to "reign with Christ"

.... that's as good as it gets.

We should not be waiting to be "raptured".

We should be waiting to be empowered. as per Isaiah 40:28-31

We should be waiting for OUR day of Pentecost.

We should aspire to serve Jesus during the reign of the Beast right through the day of beheading. .... and we should look forward to the day of beheading ....

Russell Moore: We Are Living in a Pre-Christian, Not Post-Christian Society

Upvote 0