timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone here uses one for work or would want to use one?

I've started using one out of necessity with a job I got that deals with large amounts of data and found it overwhelming, unreal. I'm worried it could be bad for the eyes.

It's basically a 40" 4K LED TV that no one in the house is using, Chinese brand, very cheap, but surprisingly works in "4K" resolution. I've already, turned down brightness, contrast, saturation, and disabled any image enhancements, and color set to "warm".

It is actually less brighter and less colorful with the adjustments than the old smaller normal monitor I used. The text is just as sharp and basically did not change in size. Distance to my eyes is just a little farther away than with the old monitor.

It's giving me a bit of headache though or maybe I'm just not used to seeing this amount of information or details or data than I did before??

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does anyone here uses one for work or would want to use one?

I've started using one out of necessity with a job I got that deals with large amounts of data and found it overwhelming, unreal. I'm worried it could be bad for the eyes.

It's basically a 40" 4K LED TV that no one in the house is using, Chinese brand, very cheap, but surprisingly works in "4K" resolution. I've already, turned down brightness, contrast, saturation, and disabled any image enhancements, and color set to "warm".

It is actually less brighter and less colorful with the adjustments than the old smaller normal monitor I used. The text is just as sharp and basically did not change in size. Distance to my eyes is just a little farther away than with the old monitor.

It's giving me a bit of headache though or maybe I'm just not used to seeing this amount of information or details or data than I did before??

Well now, if the screen is that size and it's a 4k you should be sitting 4 to 6 feet away from it.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMO, the proportions of the elements are a strain on the eyes no matter how you cut it, to say nothing about any radiation you're absorbing. Can you break that up into two desktop workspaces on a smaller monitor? Even an extended workspace over two smaller monitors might be better.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
IMO, the proportions of the elements are a strain on the eyes no matter how you cut it, to say nothing about any radiation you're absorbing. Can you break that up into two desktop workspaces on a smaller monitor? Even an extended workspace over two smaller monitors might be better.

I tried two normal size monitor setup shortly before I tried single 4K big screen . Easier on the eyes, indeed or perhaps because, everything still looks normal.

But the single big screen 4K TV have twice the vertical resolution which I found incredibly useful when working with lots of data. I've already worked with it for a few days and my productivity improved considerably and completing my tasks in less time.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned with radiation. I know it's LED technology, supposed to have no high energy radiation but who knows! I've reduced backlight to 50% and also set screen temperature to "warm" and on top of that, I've also tweaked white balance to minimize blue light (and other shorter wavelength light spectrum). It's already fairly dim and drab in appearance.

I'll run this for a few more days and observe if some mild headache disappears or gets worse.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I would think dividing those two programs up would give very beneficial eye relief. Another possibility if your work is vertically oriented is to rotate the smaller monitors 90 deg.

Also, I don't know the physics of it, but TVs that size are meant to be viewed from afar. Monitors are usually meant for up-close viewing. I would tend to trust monitors more for this kind of use for that reason.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I would think dividing those two programs up would give very beneficial eye relief. Another possibility if your work is vertically oriented is to rotate the smaller monitors 90 deg.

Also, I don't know the physics of it, but TVs that size are meant to be viewed from afar. Monitors are usually meant for up-close viewing. I would tend to trust monitors more for this kind of use for that reason.

I did try rotating the small monitors 90 degrees so that they stand on the edge (of course, also setting desktop orientation to 90 degrees in graphics card setting). Unfortunately, most monitors also seem optically polarized horizontally and the effect is quite visible if the monitor is rotated 90 degrees. Definitely not an option for me.

My work requires me not to make any mistakes because no one else checks them. I review the work I did myself which takes a bit of time. The big 4K TV screen is not necessary for me to do my job but it makes the review process easier and faster.

I've managed to set the TV to display image in exactly the same way a computer monitor does to avoid straining the eyes during prolonged use. I'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Seems like I'm getting used to it finally. I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of information presented on the screen. If I break down the windows to their usual sizes like 6 programs opened simultaneously and resized so they all share the screen equally, it's much easier to look at.

Windows additionally has an option to invert desktop colors so the background is black while the text is grey. I tried it....looks cool but didn't actually made it easier to look at (the experts are saying it's supposed to be easier to look at, maybe take getting used to)

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0