N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this,but I will ask here.Does God care about what careers?As in,does God place a person in a career to fulfill his purpose in them? I am not looking to debate,but I am just wondering what the purpose of a Christian would be within whatever career they choose to pursue.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is not a folder where debate is allowed anyway.

As to being biblical, we see all kinds of people with careers in the Bible. Our Lord's earthly dad was a carpenter. There are sailors and merchants, soldiers and politicians.

And God can use them all to His glory. His purpose is to make "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth ..." happen in real life. If we can bring the Kingdom of God to our work places and careers, that IS his purposes being done.

Upvote 0

Lory Valencia

Oct 29, 2018
Brea
✟16,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this,but I will ask here.Does God care about what careers?As in,does God place a person in a career to fulfill his purpose in them? I am not looking to debate,but I am just wondering what the purpose of a Christian would be within whatever career they choose to pursue.
I definetly think he cares about what career we pursue. Like in any other aspect of life, God leads us in what he knows is best and careers definetly fall into that category. Ultimatley he wants us to be happy, therefore he will place us in a career he knows will fulfill our purpose on this earth as well as satisfy our soul. If you're confused about which career field you should go into, definetly pray about it and talk to the Lord. Prayers to you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many family names spring from their occupations: Baker, Carpenter, Miller, Fisher, Woodman, Bowman, Tanner, etc.
Indeed. Apparently back in the day some great great ... grandfather either made wagons or drove them.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)
Ecclesiastes 9:10a
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might,

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He can work through us in any place, any situation. Like suppose you are even merely a fisherman/woman on the Sea of Galilee, that's fine. It's not an obsticle for Him to accomplish His purposes through you.

So, then, we want first to be obediant to Christ in whatever work we are doing, and then next, it might sometimes be that we can better serve Him in one work than another, and it's fine to then switch. This is a temporary life, and we are here only a while.

Any career is fine if you put God first, put Christ's commands foremost as the rules of conduct. We learn from Christ we cannot serve two masters, God and money, but we are instead to seek the Kingdom of God first, and all the rest will work out. But if you want to be a dentist or a stock broker, it may be you can serve Him even better in that career, as you bring more energy to more people and have more chances to show Christ to others there.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

So I've never had a career, just a bunch of jobs that I hate, and continue to hate to this day. So full disclosure, just to be fair.

So both my parents had careers they loved, and being a good Christian, made them good at their career. In many ways, they were able to be a witness to the dark world around them, from within their careers.

However, when you ask, does G-d care.... depends on how you define it.

I think obviously you would grasp that G-d would care if you started working at a gay singles bar, or an abortion clinic, or any other disgusting thing to G-d.

But does he care if you work at Wendy's verses Burger King? No, I doubt it. Now I mean that on a general level. I do not think G-d sits around micro managing every aspect of our lives, like I don't think you are going to wake up every single morning "G-d wants me to wear blue today! I know it!".

But what if there happens to be someone at Burger King, that needs the Lord, and G-d wants you to be that person for them? Then maybe he would nudge you in that direction.

Looking past this argument, I would say that most people... not all, but most, have some sort of a gift. Not speaking in tongues or such, but some sort of a practical ability that is theirs.

Likely whatever career you choose, should be one that uses your gifts. I would assume that the Lord is pleased when his people use the gifts given to them, to the best of their abilities.

That seems a reasonable assumption, based on scripture, yes?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So I've never had a career, just a bunch of jobs that I hate, and continue to hate to this day. So full disclosure, just to be fair.

So both my parents had careers they loved, and being a good Christian, made them good at their career. In many ways, they were able to be a witness to the dark world around them, from within their careers.

However, when you ask, does G-d care.... depends on how you define it.

I think obviously you would grasp that G-d would care if you started working at a gay singles bar, or an abortion clinic, or any other disgusting thing to G-d.

But does he care if you work at Wendy's verses Burger King? No, I doubt it. Now I mean that on a general level. I think G-d sits around micro managing every aspect of our lives, like I don't think you are going to wake up every single morning "G-d wants me to wear blue today! I know it!".

But what if there happens to be someone at Burger King, that needs the Lord, and G-d wants you to be that person for them? Then maybe he would nudge you in that direction.

Looking past this argument, I would say that most people... not all, but most, have some sort of a gift. Not speaking in tongues or such, but some sort of a practical ability that is theirs.

Likely whatever career you choose, should be one that uses your gifts. I would assume that the Lord is pleased when his people use the gifts given to them, to the best of their abilities.

That seems a reasonable assumption, based on scripture, yes?
Your answer makes sense

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You must work and do something useful with your hands so that you will have something to share with those in need. Ephesians 4:28

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums