Post-Mil Only Is “coming on clouds” a reference to Christ’s second coming?

Chris Thomas Shepherd

Jul 24, 2022
Pacific Northwest
✟19,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A comparison between Dispensational Premillennialism and Orthodox Preterist Postmillennialism.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I believe 'coming on clouds' in a direct reference the Jesus' 2nd coming. I also believe that it is also somewhat literal. Jesus will return with his army in the form light. The will fight and defeat the Antichrist's army of darkness using the energy of the sun (a massive coronal ejection aimed directly at the earth). The army of darkness will have been earlier afflicted by a hyper reactivity to solar energy of this sort. The energetic might of Jesus and his 144000, will smite the army of darkness.
I know how this sounds, but this is what I have been told.

Upvote 0

wonderkins

Jul 16, 2017
Winlock
✟146,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A comparison between Dispensational Premillennialism and Orthodox Preterist Postmillennialism.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I believe it has to do with judgment. It is a bad thing for Israel.

I say this because you see the same type of language in Isaiah in regards to judgment on Egypt.

The oracle concerning Egypt.
Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and is about to come to Egypt;
The idols of Egypt will tremble at His presence,
And the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them.
— Isaiah 19:1

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always thought that it was interesting that John said
“Jesus IS coming on the clouds” in the PRESENT tense, and not “Jesus WILL come on the clouds”

Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is (present tense) coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him—even those who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. So shall it be! Amen.

Based on John using the present tense, I don’t think it refers to the 2nd coming, otherwise the 2nd coming was occurring when John wrote revelation.

Instead, I would argue that the phrase “coming in the clouds” alludes to Daniel 7:13-14 and Christ’s being in the presence of the Father with all power, glory, dominion, and an everlasting kingdom. Similar to the phrase “coming in his kingdom”

With this understanding in mind, I would argue Matthew 24’s use of the “coming of the son of man on the clouds” should be understood in the same way as the high priest “from now on will see” Christ coming on the clouds and sitting at the right hand.

Mathew 26:64 “From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Powerj and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

so the question then becomes, is Christ’s “coming on the clouds of heaven” / “coming in his kingdom” to be understood as the same “coming in the glory of the father to repay”?

Matthew 16:27-28 27For the Son of Man will come in His Father’s glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done.

28Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

Revelation 22:12-13 Behold, I am coming quickly , and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done. 13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm

And as a side note, It’s ridiculous that mcarthur says Christians don’t need to preserve the planet, as it is “a waste of time”…..that’s what terrible eschatology can lead to….

Upvote 0