Irresponsible use of terms near and soon.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Many years ago I was told that the world was about to come to an end. When asked exactly how long it would be, I was confidently told that it was very near and that we could expect it to be very soon and at any time so we should better be ready.

The biblical texts used in support of that promise convinced me that I was being told the absolute truth. So not wanting to suffer the negative consequences at Armageddon, I made many of my life's decisions based on that promise with considerable deprivations, humiliations, and intense suffering that could have easily been avoided otherwise.

That was approx. fifty three years ago. Now in hindsight I wonder why I was promised this with such unwavering certainty and whether doing so doesn't constitute an irresponsible act of blatant deceit and whether indeed it is Christian to foist such a potentially a life- altering impression on a trusting person. I tend to think that it isn't.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People have been expecting the END (not just change or a "local" end for a looooong time. And there's always a "real-world reason" to back it up - the Cuban Missile Crisis, terrorism, the Civil War...you name it.

Sorry to hear that you were lied to / deceived in this way. I sympathize - tough when you see that you made life decicions based on nonsense spoken by an (at best) grossly uninformed person.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
2000 years ago?

Romans 16:20
New International Version
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.
--------------------------------------------

3000 years ago?

Psalm 37:10
New International Version
A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found.

-----------------------------------------

What really gets me is that such scriptures were repetitively used to impress upon me the nearness of the end. He would say! “Notice that the Bible says soon!” or "very near" knowing full well that these scriptures were written in the far distant past and I was too undereducated and too ignorant at the time and too desperate for a solution to my troubles to question it.

IMHO
There should be a government law against the unrestricted dissemination of that kind of potentially life-wrenching message to others who might take it at face value.

BTW
The following scripture should have been included in the message in order to avoid unwarranted expectations of literal human soonest or nearness.

2 Peter 3: 3-10

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with YHVH one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 YHVH is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People have been expecting the END (not just change or a "local" end for a looooong time. And there's always a "real-world reason" to back it up - the Cuban Missile Crisis, terrorism, the Civil War...you name it.

Sorry to hear that you were lied to / deceived in this way. I sympathize - tough when you see that you made life decicions based on nonsense spoken by an (at best) grossly uninformed person.

I'm sure he didn't think that he was lying and neither did most others involved. But that doesn't nullify the damage done in the least. Yes, I did benefit from the biblical message because it kept me from getting into serious trouble with the law.

Nevertheless, I had a right to be in touch with reality and not be living the prime of my youth under the threat of an of imminent catastrophe which reduced my options until I felt as if I were in some demoniacally designed social unbendable rule-based straightjacket which necessitated I gradually cut my own throat for the sake of survival. Death would have been preferable to that living nightmare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
2000 years ago?

--------------------------------------------

3000 years ago?

-----------------------------------------

What really gets me is that such scriptures were repetitively used to impress upon me the nearness of the end.
"And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him." Deu 18:21,22

Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My parents didn't send us school because they thought the end was coming super soon and there was no need for education
We'd be in the great tribulation and than heaven. Interestingly my parents church, after claiming in the 80's and 90's that Jesus was coming than, now say he won't come back in my parents life time.

That was a couple years ago. Too little too late. Lives were already ruined.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My parents didn't send us school because they thought the end was coming super soon and there was no need for education
We'd be in the great tribulation and than heaven. Interestingly my parents church, after claiming in the 80's and 90's that Jesus was coming than, now say he won't come back in my parents life time.
The government should not allow religious organizations to negatively influence a citizen's life in that way.

Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The government should not allow religious organizations to negatively influence a citizen's life in that way.
Ideally, but how would you enforce it and what about freedom of speech and freedom of religion? People can say and do and believe and follow who they want. I think if you want to home school it should be as regulated as public schools. Our "school " was being a nanny (I have 17 brothers and sisters. Not including 7 of my moms miscarriages) maid and being indoctrinated.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many years ago I was told that the world was about to come to an end. When asked exactly how long it would be, I was confidently told that it was very near and that we could expect it to be very soon and at any time so we should better be ready.

The biblical texts used in support of that promise convinced me that I was being told the absolute truth. So not wanting to suffer the negative consequences at Armageddon, I made many of my life's decisions based on that promise with considerable deprivations, humiliations, and intense suffering that could have easily been avoided otherwise.

That was approx. fifty three years ago. Now in hindsight I wonder why I was promised this with such unwavering certainty and whether doing so doesn't constitute an irresponsible act of blatant deceit and whether indeed it is Christian to foist such a potentially a life- altering impression on a trusting person. I tend to think that it isn't.

I don't think "the end" or "the Second Coming" is ever going to happen tbh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think "the end" or "the Second Coming" is ever going to happen tbh.

...I can appreciate the fact that you're honest about it, Crystal. :cool: And in some ways, that might not be a bad or unhealthy perspective.

From what we read in Scripture, it seems Jesus wants our focus to be on other issues rather than with being overly concerned with whether or not He's going to do "this or that" eschatological act in the coming today, or tomorrow....or at some time in the far flung future.

Acts 1:7-8
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”​

So...yeah. Maybe it's best we all just don't worry about it and concentrate on worshiping God in truth and loving other people better in the name of Christ

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ideally, but how would you enforce it and what about freedom of speech and freedom of religion? People can say and do and believe and follow who they want. I think if you want to home school it should be as regulated as public schools. Our "school " was being a nanny (I have 17 brothers and sisters. Not including 7 of my moms miscarriages) maid and being indoctrinated.
I would make it illegal to systematically disseminate that kind of false expectation based on calculations such as the one involving 1914 and 1975.

Upvote 0