Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟19,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ireland is due to vote in a referendum next Friday on repealing blasphemy as an offence. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

While the Irish Constitution as it stands states in Article 40.6.1° that blasphemy is illegal , it does not define blasphemy.

https://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Hi.../February_2015_-_Constitution_of_Ireland_.pdf

However Irish Law clearly defines blasphemy as:

"For the purposes of this section, a person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if—

(a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and

(b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.
"

Defamation Act 2009, Section 36

Two things to note are that blasphemy relates to any religion and that intent to cause outrage needs to be proven. But 'intent' seems to me to be very subjective and leads me to believe that regardless of any actual intent, perceived intent may well be enough to prosecute.

My leaning is towards repeal on this one. What do others think?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom 1

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well the current law prohibits the historical view of prophecy from being spoken if someone wanted to push it.

Lets use the biblical definition of Blasphemy instead of Mans.

• Useful
Reactions: Phil G
Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟19,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the current law prohibits the historical view of prophecy from being spoken if someone wanted to push it.

Lets use the biblical definition of Blasphemy instead of Mans.

Yes very true and the biblical definition of blasphemy is clear and that will be judged by God and perhaps that is enough to indicate repealing.

I am concerned with the implication to Christian believers of repealing or retaining the article in Ireland's Constitution which prohibits blasphemy as defined by the state's laws. God's Word tells us to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves (Matthew 10:16). Christians are highly unlikely to bring anyone to the world's courts alleging blasphemy (harmless as doves) but is it more risky that Christians will be brought to court by another religion if we speak out the truth regarding other religions? Is it legitimate to think that repealing this law will actually protect Christians' freedom of speech regarding other religions?

In other words, how do we be 'wise as serpents' in this case?.

Last edited:
Upvote 0