Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
In the year 130 the Bishop of Lyons, Irenaeus wrote concerning a theme common in patristic Marian reflections, that Mary was the "Second Eve": "As Eve was seduced by the speech of an angel, so as to flee God in transgressing his word, so also Mary received the good tidings by means of the angel's speech, so as to be God within her, being obedient to this word. And though the one had disobeyed God, yet the other was drawn to obey him; that of the virgin Eve, the virgin Mary might become the advocate and as by a virgin the human race had been bound to death, by a virgin it is saved, the balance being preserved- a virgin's disobedience by a virgin' obedience." (Against Heresies, 3, 19 130 A.D.)

• Friendly
Reactions: Knee V

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In the year 130 the Bishop of Lyons, Irenaeus wrote concerning a theme common in patristic Marian reflections, that Mary was the "Second Eve": "As Eve was seduced by the speech of an angel, so as to flee God in transgressing his word, so also Mary received the good tidings by means of the angel's speech, so as to be God within her, being obedient to this word. And though the one had disobeyed God, yet the other was drawn to obey him; that of the virgin Eve, the virgin Mary might become the advocate and as by a virgin the human race had been bound to death, by a virgin it is saved, the balance being preserved- a virgin's disobedience by a virgin' obedience." (Against Heresies, 3, 19 130 A.D.)
The biblical theology is not about women, but about men - Adam and Jesus, not Eve and Mary.

"For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."
1Cor 15:22

Mary plays no theological role in apostolic writings.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the virgin Mary might become the advocate and as by a virgin the human race had been bound to death, by a virgin it is saved,
I thought the advocate / paraclete was the Holy Spirit. Didn't realize that Mary was a part of the Holy Trinity.

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Irenaeus (A.D. 120–200) wrote, “As by a virgin the human race had been bound to death, by a virgin it is saved, the balance being preserved, a virgin’s disobedience by a virgin’s obedience” (Against Heresies, 3, 22, 19). Eve made the Fall possible, but Adam effected it; Mary made our Redemption possible (by consenting to bring the Savior into the world), but Jesus effected it.

Upvote 0

Springbok

Jul 13, 2020
Düsseldorf
✟17,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, ladies, I find this topic quite interesting. Mhm, mabye b4jesustoday could give us the correct source for the citation?

Yes, indeed quite interesting what Irenaeus meant with the term "advocate" here.

It is basically impossible to find it out exactly, we do not have enough source material for that, but I wager it is a commentary about the role of the female as the crazy people of our times would term it.

I think Irenaeus motive here is to calm down arising subtle misogynism, which as we have seen here can easily manifest rapidly. He wants to prevent unduly disdain for the more emotional sex, by showing that not only did the bad come through a woman but the good as well.

We have to keep in mind, Irenaeus lived and wrote in a time of much less stupidity than ours.

He didn't get his college degree by being good at playing football.

He could very well write like making more than one point with like one like illustration.

Such as, the his main point: ontology of God is well ordered, logical. Also scripture is that like also.

So he uses this image to make all these three points in one go. Just like that.

Classical education. I wish I had it.

Yeah, so.

It is quite certain to the discerning mind that Irenaes didn't want to insinuate a improper deification of the virgin and later in her life also non-virgin Mary, as others in this thread already remarked.

Upvote 0