Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5020804.stm

Iraqis shot 'for wearing shorts'

The coach of Iraq's tennis team and two players were shot dead in Baghdad, days after militants issued a warning forbidding the wearing of shorts.
This is the "freedom" for which we've been fighting a very expensive and very deadly war — the "freedom" of Islamic fundamentalists to declare what people may and may not wear, eat, listen to, or read (on pain of death).

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:

The coach of Iraq's tennis team and two players were shot dead in Baghdad, days after militants issued a warning forbidding the wearing of shorts.

This is the "freedom" for which we've been fighting a very expensive and very deadly war — the "freedom" of Islamic fundamentalists to declare what people may and may not wear, eat, listen to, or read (on pain of death).
I quote Cindy Sheehan one more time:

"For what noble cause did my son die for?"

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
UberLutheran said:

If they shoot the tennis team over shorts, wonder what the extremists will do to the swimmimg team?:scratch:

Upvote 0

holysee

Mar 9, 2006
Exeter
✟15,478.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
UK-Greens
jamesrwright3 said:
We have only been over there a short while.
We can't expect to roll back thousands of years of history in a little over 3 years
It is a work in progress.

Thousands of years? People were able to wear shorts under Saddam its only since the invasion that Islamist extremists have been let loose.

Incidentally Islam is fewer than two thousand years old so where do the "thousands of years" come from?

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

holysee said:
Thousands of years? People were able to wear shorts under Saddam its only since the invasion that Islamist extremists have been let loose.

Incidentally Islam is fewer than two thousand years old so where do the "thousands of years" come from?

Yes, and people before were killed and raped by Saddam and his sons for no reason.
Saddam kept these people under control by an iron fist and threats to kill one's old family
The sentiment was always there.

So yes, we are trying to change a long history in about 3 years

I hope you aren't insinuating life was better under Saddam

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:

Nonono, I think you got that wrong! You're fighting this war so Iraqi people have the "freedom" to think, do and say what America wishes them to!:doh:

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
justanobserver said:
If they shoot the tennis team over shorts, wonder what the extremists will do to the swimmimg team?:scratch:

Actually, with tehse modern neopren swim suits which cover much of the body, arms and legs, the swim teach should be quite safe!

neoprene_shorty_wetsuit.jpg

Or here a model which can be worn by women:

lg_swimsuits_ap.jpg

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
"The gunman took the body out of the car and threw it on top of the other two bodies before stealing the car," said the witness, who requested anonymity.
Sounds like a car-jacking to me. That could happen in L.A.

I know, I know, leaflets. Whatever. "Militants" will find a reason to kill. Saddam used to break legs and kill players for losing.
And:

Ah yes. Here are CCGirl's beloved freedom fighters in action.
Now, now, behave. Dontcha know some people have their finger resting on the report button?

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Rochir said:
Actually, with tehse modern neopren swim suits which cover much of the body, arms and legs, the swim teach should be quite safe!

neoprene_shorty_wetsuit.jpg

Or here a model which can be worn by women:

lg_swimsuits_ap.jpg

Pretty:blush:

But I can still see her face, air, hands and feet. I don't know know about this. Hmmm.... What if she just wore a waterproof chador? Or at least a waterproof hijab... along with gloves and flippers?

Upvote 0

holysee

Mar 9, 2006
Exeter
✟15,478.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
UK-Greens
jamesrwright3 said:
Yes, and people before were killed and raped by Saddam and his sons for no reason.
Saddam kept these people under control by an iron fist and threats to kill one's old family
The sentiment was always there.

So yes, we are trying to change a long history in about 3 years

I hope you aren't insinuating life was better under Saddam

The Baath Party regime in Iraq was a secular tyranny very much like other tyrannies around the world (many US backed as Saddam initially was). It was brutal and murderous. Now Iraqi's experience a different sort of murderous brutality. For instance Christians as Christians were not persecuted in Saddam's Iraq and now they are. Street crime in Saddam's Iraq was mimimal now it is rampant. Women were free to wear what they liked in Saddam's Iraq now they cannot. All of these things have got worse because of the invasion and for no other reason.

The fact is ordinary Iraqi's have experienced decades of suffering of different types to accept that Saddam's regime was bad doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the current situation is Saddam's fault. The Baathist's repressed the genie of Islamist extremism and sectarian tensions which the invasion and subsequent disbandment of the Iraqi police and army allowed to escape from its bottle. The post Saddam situation in Iraq in some ways is better , freedom of press and of assembly etc, and in some ways is worse, kidnappings, being shot for wearing shorts that kind of thing. Try to stop thinking that the world is divided into goodies and baddies. Reality is more complex than John Wayne movies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I find the word "millitants" to be important here. The millitants are very high profile there, but that does not mean the speak for the majority.

Upvote 0