Midwest
✟261,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Their best....behind many many terrorist attacks.

That’s not what the article says. It say “a senior military commander.” Not “their best” nor does it say “behind many many terrorist attacks.” Maybe you saw it somewhere else but this article has nothing you are currently asserting. Please give a citation for what it is you are claiming.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Having missiles and demonstrating the ability to deploy them accurately are two different things....

Indeed....

What missiles did Iran use to attack US bases?

The Fateh-110 Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) has been described as one of the country’s more accurate missile systems, is a road-mobile solid propellant system that was previously used by the country in an attack on a ski resort in Israel, which was intercepted by the country’s Iron-Dome missile defence system.

The second system that is reported to have been used in the attack is the longer-range Qiam-1 missile, with Iranian press reporting that the missile has a range of 800km – the US DIA estimates its range to be at least 750km.

Interestingly...

A number of the missiles are understood to have missed their targets, and at least one was intercepted by air defence systems that cover the bases. In Irbil, fuel tank sections from the Qiam system were reportedly found in the area.

I guess that kills the whole "they wanted to show how good they are at missles" theory.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That’s not what the article says. It say “a senior military commander.” Not “their best” nor does it say “behind many many terrorist attacks.” Maybe you saw it somewhere else but this article has nothing you are currently asserting. Please give a citation for what it is you are claiming.

I really don't have to qualify it at this point. It's all over the news. A former CIA agent described him as "the most powerful operative in the middle east" and even the low opinions of him seem to regard him as highly effective.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟261,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I really don't have to qualify it at this point. It's all over the news. A former CIA agent described him as "the most powerful operative in the middle east" and even the low opinions of him seem to regard him as highly effective.

You do if you want any one to believe you. I think you made it up until I see information that would lead me to believe otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed....

What missiles did Iran use to attack US bases?

The Fateh-110 Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM) has been described as one of the country’s more accurate missile systems, is a road-mobile solid propellant system that was previously used by the country in an attack on a ski resort in Israel, which was intercepted by the country’s Iron-Dome missile defence system.

The second system that is reported to have been used in the attack is the longer-range Qiam-1 missile, with Iranian press reporting that the missile has a range of 800km – the US DIA estimates its range to be at least 750km.

Interestingly...

A number of the missiles are understood to have missed their targets, and at least one was intercepted by air defence systems that cover the bases. In Irbil, fuel tank sections from the Qiam system were reportedly found in the area.

I guess that kills the whole "they wanted to show how good they are at missles" theory.

...nope, only qualifies it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...nope, only qualifies it.

Be realistic...

We shot one missile, hit the target, removed the threat. That's precision.

They shot multiple missiles, hit no one, several missed entirely....

Oh, and they shot down a commercial airliner because apparently they can't identify aircraft correctly. They basically killed off any sympathy they might have gotten from the international community.

What's the fantasy you're entertaining here? That this was part of a master plan to show how effective they are with missiles? That they aren't idiots who can't correctly identify or hit targets?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be realistic...

We shot one missile, hit the target, removed the threat. That's precision.

They shot multiple missiles, hit no one, several missed entirely....

Oh, and they shot down a commercial airliner because apparently they can't identify aircraft correctly. They basically killed off any sympathy they might have gotten from the international community.

What's the fantasy you're entertaining here? That this was part of a master plan to show how effective they are with missiles? That they aren't idiots who can't correctly identify or hit targets?

I am being realistic. They were able to put at least one missile on target.

ain-assad-2_wide-e01028baec721346fd7fcf6af819f99c0f02fd18-s1400-c85.png

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am being realistic. They were able to put at least one missile on target.

View attachment 269942

They fired 16...11 hit though not all hit the base, 4 failed mid flight, one was intercepted.

Their ability to occassionally land a missile is noted. I guess I'm not as easily impressed as you.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They fired 16...11 hit though not all hit the base, 4 failed mid flight, one was intercepted.

Their ability to occassionally land a missile is noted. I guess I'm not as easily impressed as you.

As I stated, they demonstrated capability to accurately hit a target. If it took 16, so be it. It's still a hit and a threat the US decision makers have to consider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As I stated, they demonstrated capability to accurately hit a target. If it took 16, so be it. It's still a hit and a threat the US decision makers have to consider.

Sure....although they were clearly aware of this information already.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Redundancy is important in armaments... after all, the United States has enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world 38 times... you'd think once would be sufficient.

• Useful
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nearly one dozen American troops were wounded in Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack on Iraq’s al-Asad air base. This week, they were medically evacuated to U.S. military hospitals in Kuwait and Landstuhl, Germany, to be treated for traumatic brain injury and to undergo further evaluation, several U.S. defense and military officials have confirmed to Defense One.

Senior military and Trump administration officials had said on Jan. 8 that 11 Iranian missiles had caused “no casualties, no friendly casualties, whether they are U.S., coalition, contractor, et cetera.”

In the past week, news organizations that were granted access to the base to film the damage and interview military personnel have reported that no Americans were killed, wounded, or “seriously injured.” But the New York Times reported on Monday that some personnel had been treated for concussions.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
1 for 16? Sounds more like luck. And maybe not even good luck.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nearly one dozen American troops were wounded in Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack on Iraq’s al-Asad air base. This week, they were medically evacuated to U.S. military hospitals in Kuwait and Landstuhl, Germany, to be treated for traumatic brain injury and to undergo further evaluation, several U.S. defense and military officials have confirmed to Defense One.

Senior military and Trump administration officials had said on Jan. 8 that 11 Iranian missiles had caused “no casualties, no friendly casualties, whether they are U.S., coalition, contractor, et cetera.”

In the past week, news organizations that were granted access to the base to film the damage and interview military personnel have reported that no Americans were killed, wounded, or “seriously injured.” But the New York Times reported on Monday that some personnel had been treated for concussions.

IOW, our government lied.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 for 16? Sounds more like luck. And maybe not even good luck.

I don't think 1/16 is accurate....

According to reports, Iran fired around 16 short-range ballistic missiles at two bases with a U.S. presence in Iraq, Ayn al-Asad and Arbil International Airport. Tehran appears to have launched several of its less reliable Qaim 1 missiles at Arbil, though many of them apparently failed to hit their target. Still, the brunt of Iran's attack was Ayn al-Asad, which was hit by about 10 of Iran's more reliable Fateh-110 missiles (and possibly its more modern Fateh-313 variant).

The pictures reveal at least eight impact sites, with most appearing to have caused considerable damage to hangars and soft aircraft shelters that might have contained American jets or other aircraft. One of the strikes, for instance, appears to have hit soft aircraft shelters that housed CV-22 Ospreys, almost certainly causing at least some damage to aircraft. A separate impact appears to have hit another row of soft aircraft shelters containing helicopters, while another seems to have struck a hangar or machine shop used to service American unmanned aerial vehicles — a highly symbolic target given that these were potentially the same drones that the United States used to kill senior Iranian military leader Qassem Soleimani last week.

How Iran's Missile Attack on American Bases Showcases Its Weapons' Accuracy

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think 1/16 is accurate....

According to reports, Iran fired around 16 short-range ballistic missiles at two bases with a U.S. presence in Iraq, Ayn al-Asad and Arbil International Airport. Tehran appears to have launched several of its less reliable Qaim 1 missiles at Arbil, though many of them apparently failed to hit their target. Still, the brunt of Iran's attack was Ayn al-Asad, which was hit by about 10 of Iran's more reliable Fateh-110 missiles (and possibly its more modern Fateh-313 variant).

The pictures reveal at least eight impact sites, with most appearing to have caused considerable damage to hangars and soft aircraft shelters that might have contained American jets or other aircraft. One of the strikes, for instance, appears to have hit soft aircraft shelters that housed CV-22 Ospreys, almost certainly causing at least some damage to aircraft. A separate impact appears to have hit another row of soft aircraft shelters containing helicopters, while another seems to have struck a hangar or machine shop used to service American unmanned aerial vehicles — a highly symbolic target given that these were potentially the same drones that the United States used to kill senior Iranian military leader Qassem Soleimani last week.

How Iran's Missile Attack on American Bases Showcases Its Weapons' Accuracy
Its awfully hard to judge how on-target the individual missiles were from the text of the article.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its awfully hard to judge how on-target the individual missiles were from the text of the article.

...well, without the actual targeting information from the Iranian military, only the results can be analyzed..

Upvote 0